ForumsThe Tavern[NECRO] I thought this was news worth sharing

196 70599
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

John now works for Kongregate.

And some questions: Are his future games going to be exclusive to Kongregate (for example, Exit Path 2 is here but not there, if he made a big game will it only be played there)? Will he still remain an administrator here?

Wasn't sure where to put this.

• 196 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

So the new mascots are Phages?

Looks like it's the Sushi Cat. Over the past few days they've made plushies and wallpaper.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So the new mascots are Phages?

How did you mess my name up that badly Jacen?

The new mascot is me, pang...duh
Mickeyryn
Mickeyryn
276 posts
Shepherd

ugh. oh no. I liked his games (until he started making u pay for certain stuff. in my opinion he was a great game maker, tho i didnt like ep2.

ep1 was the best and it will always be

Mickeyryn

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Well, since this was bumped, update:
John is no longer an admin on AG. He seems to reply to most comments on Kongregate, here's his profile if you want to talk to him about stuff.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

I doubt it.
Just leave the man alone, I'm sure he's tired of it and if he hasn't said anything as of yet then I doubt he will.

70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

Why did John leave?

basically John left AG and join Kong :-P
and if u wanna know more, plz read the 1st pages of this thread then
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Why did John leave?

basically John left AG and join Kong :-P
and if u wanna know more, plz read the 1st pages of this thread then

That answers almost absolutely. No information why John left has been released yet.
70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

That answers almost absolutely

@killersup10: actually I dun understand that sentence :-P
why did u use the word "absolutely"? what did u mean? 0_o
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

He meant to say your statement is meaningless.

70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

@nicho: lol i see tks for the explanation dude XD

@killersup: lol actually I said that because i think that guy do NOT read the whole thread, so I suggest him go to the beginning and read throughout to understand the news :-P

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

No information why John left has been released yet.

Quoted from his blog:
Hi everyone,

Its been a hard month. Life is shifting in a big way right now, many life-changing events are hitting on all cylinders.

First, the big news. About a month ago I resigned my post at Armor Games to take on a new adventure at Kongregate. I will be producing games for Kongregate in San Francisco and will be moving up from Orange County in the next week or so. This is a big change for me, Iâve been producing content for Armor Games for over eight years and have made many friends and colleagues at Armor. Armor Games was an amazing company to work for, full of talented and amazing people. During my time there I produced somewhere around 50-60 games. I am very thankful for the time I had at Armor and leaving was not an easy choice. I am taking up a new role (still making games!) at Kongregate and I canât wait to see whatâs in store for the future.

That said, I am moving! Iâve lived in Southern California now for a while, but Iâm moving back up to Northern California again. They actually get rain so thatâs a bit exciting. Iâll miss the warm, sunny beaches and always-awesome weather here. And Iâll miss my friends, but Minecraft servers make it hard to stay too far apart.

Game release! There is a new game out called Loot! The Game. Itâs currently available on Armor Games. It features elephant and guns and a trains. Everything you need for an action-packed, gear-whoring game! I hope you enjoy it.

Now that doesn't give a definite answer, but there's only a few reasons why he'd leave. Better job offer or something bad happening at ArmorGames. All I can think of. Since it doesn't appear to be the latter, it was probably a better job offer. You don't just leave a workplace of eight years for a simple change, other things make the decision.

Doesn't really matter why he left though, he'll still be making games.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

It seems that the role John may be playing in Kong may be also different, given he is Kong's first in-house developer. If this is the case, I can imagine myself doing something similar in the future: I'm not the type of person to be sitting around in the same job because it's satisfactory, partially because there's an almost mandatory requirement to advance and develop in my career path. But beyond that, even once I attain the level of a consultant, I'd still be looking into jobs with a description that would require me to expand my skills as well as use the more recently acquired ones, which in this case would be managerial, project development, building programs, establishing standards of clinical practice and advocating for funding in areas of need. And if I felt that one project had been successfully established, I'd probably consider moving onto another one. This consideration is currently greater than one of self-interest, though I can imagine priorities changing if, for example, I started a family and fiscal and geographical concerns became more important (see Cormyn's example).

You know what, why am I sitting around speculating on this when I might be able to ask him directly? I'm going to do that instead.

70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

Quoted from his blog

so u minding giving me the link to his blog, GOM?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Here Triple 70.

70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

Here Triple 70.

tks nicho XD
but do u mind answer 1 more Q: what is the meaning of "jmtb02"? i actually saw this name long time ago but still can NOT understand what is "jmtb02" stand for lah? :-P

Now that doesn't give a definite answer, but there's only a few reasons why he'd leave. Better job offer or something bad happening at ArmorGames. All I can think of. Since it doesn't appear to be the latter, it was probably a better job offer.

I have 2 more reason for the impossibility of the 2nd option (something bad happening at ArmorGames) to add here:

1. John said in his blog " Iâve been producing content for Armor Games for over eight years and have made many friends and colleagues at Armor. Armor Games was an amazing company to work for, full of talented and amazing people. During my time there I produced somewhere around 50-60 games. I am very thankful for the time I had at Armor and leaving was not an easy choice."

---> so imo he left AG on gud term, just like Cormyn lah :-P

2. In his latest game- LOOT the game, if u look carefully u ll see that he wrote "Dedicate to Danny" in the title screen---> John still luv AG and his bud- DanielMcNeely very much lah XD

3. Strop's above cmt also quite similar to mah opinion, especially the part about "not satisfy with the current nice working environment and wanna try sth new "
You don't just leave a workplace of eight years for a simple change, other things make the decision.

y not think like this: John got bored after working 8 years for a repetitive environment (AG) so he wanna have a new adventure to other working environent- Kong.....
and actually John also said that " I resigned my post at Armor Games to take on a new adventure at Kongregate"
so imo think it s quite a reasonable reason lah :-P

Doesn't really matter why he left though, he'll still be making games.

but have u thought there ll be a chance that John's games will be EXCLUSIVELY FOR KONG? that thought made me worry too much lah :-P

actually AG also has many exclusive games lah :-P (and this the latest one lah :-P )

see Cormyn's example

actually I also wanna know more about the reason y Cormyn left AG.....and tks to ur cmt above I know that he left bcoz he need to earn more money than AG's salary to bring up his family lah XD
===> but do u mind giving me more details about Cormyn's leaving, Strop?

You know what, why am I sitting around speculating on this when I might be able to ask him directly? I'm going to do that instead.

FINALLY some real action! XD
tks so much mah Mod, plz ask John directly and give us the truth lah XD
Showing 166-180 of 196