ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArmor Games' Armatar Contest: 2012 Winter Edition!

299 102126
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8253540719_7b89c6b013_b_d.jpg

A good day I bid all ye artfull, creative and skillfull citizens of ArmorGames! =)

It's fair to say that the revival of the Armatar Contest was a big success, with lots of wonderful and original entries for the Thanksgiving season, but... we're aiming for more!!

So let's continue this old tradition and surpass the first edition with even more entries of your original drawings in the second launch: The 2012 Winter Edition!

Here are the guidelines that help you figure out what is allowed and what is not :

# ARMATAR CONTEST GUIDELINES :

1) All entries must be appropriate. They cannot be offensive or profane in nature. Keep it clean!
2) The entry must be square, and at least 100x100 pixels in dimension.
3) Your entry must scale down well to 100x100. So if it is larger, make sure that it will still look good when it is scaled down to the actual armatar size. Here are a few suggestions about this :
~ Sometimes keeping it simple is better. If you go into a lot of detail, it might not look as great when you scale it down. So just keep in mind what the final size will be and check often how it looks when it is scaled down.
And remember to save a lot while you are making it! Better to delete 20 -in between made- save files later on, than ending up with something you actually don't like...
~ If you are able to do vector, by all means! That can help with the sharpness of the image. However, since they are so small this probably isn't a big issue.
4) Must be completely original. You cannot use elements from other pieces of artwork, the entire armatar must be 100% created by you.
5) Must be fitting to the current contest's theme. If a certain entry is debatable, a mod or admin will give the decisive answer for submission.

Do note that we won't necessarily add all submissions... remember that all submissions will likely go up in batches preceding or during the actual season/holiday, and that they will eventually disappear from the Armatar roster as we approach the next theme.

We look forward to seeing your contributions, so pick up that pencil, start up your art programs, get your brain into overdrive and do your best to make 'em look good! =)

• 299 Replies
70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

@xXxDAPRO89xXx: imo u should add the arms for ur snowman
maybe give him 2 branches to make his arm? :3

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Dapro, maybe if you added more snow it might look better.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

@pick, GOH, and Triple 7s

Thank you for your suggestions. I shall go improve it now.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I'd really like to submit an armatar here, but there's too much school happening right now. What is the deadline.

Also, why do we need it to scale nicely to 100 x 100, armartars are 60 x 60 aren't they?

Also (o.0), is have any of the actually armatars been made Adobe Illustrator or the free alternative Inkscape?

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Also (o.0), is have any of the actually armatars been made Adobe Illustrator or the free alternative Inkscape?

Uhhh, have* any of the actual* armatars been made in* Adobe Illustrator or the free alternative Inkscape?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The Winter ones or the normal ones? The original ones were made by an artist who left long ago, so few know. :X

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

I have two more entries to share

Snowflakes: second attempt with a bluish background.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q550/kegaumongo/Flocsdeneufonsblau3100x100.jpg

This is more of a joke than anything else. It's a Christmas tree cupcake. A workmate made them last year and they were delicious. So I thought they could fit in with the theme, seeing that nobody has drawn a Christmas tree yet.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q550/kegaumongo/Cupcake100x100.jpg

70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

@kegaumongo: ur new pics r very nice, n I luv the tree cake- it looks yummy lah X3

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

FYI : The question nichodemus asked is under consideration at the moment. Untill then, please hold off on submitting brushed art. I will make a general notification in this thread about it. =)

@ GhostOfHorror : Ferret and myself will be the ones doing the picking.

Joey's submission is in! Let's hope more game devs will join in the contest! Looking good! =)

@ Bronze : Great work! Allthough I have to admit that I would like to see a little more shading in that yellow snow... =P

@ pickpocket : I had to do some googling to find out who 'Slenderman' was/is, but now that I know... great thinking on your part! Original! =)

@ 70_70_70 : Santa looks better this way, good job!

Oh and... you might have mighty Hercules threaten me with a huge snowball, but... I am much quicker than he is! Soooo... incomiiiiiing!!!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8261268542_2e43c36976_m_d.jpg
SPLAT! BULLSEYE!!

@ Reton8 : There's no definitve deadline yet... but let's say that all submissions related to Christmas have to be entered before the 25th of December and those related to New Year's before 31st of December. Winter in general will have a much longer period to work with, ok? =)

@ kegaumongo : Again... great work and the cupcake is really original! =)

But speaking of Christmas Trees... I was actually working on one myself and only finished it yesterday! I had the same thought you know... why is it that no one entered a Christmas Tree yet?! So here it is!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8493/8266883342_e990025db4_m_d.jpg
Ooooh denneboooom...

I am not entirely sure if the current background is 'too loud' so to speak... maybe I should change it to a single color, but then again... it looks colorful the way it is right now. =)

General note : I am VERY pleased with how you all give eachother constructive feedback to work with and learn from! TWO THUMBS UP for everyone on that! *bows*

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

@Kega Love them, cupcake tree looks a bit tilted, but otherwise great.

@DayCee Alright, okay.
Hopefully if I do do one, it'll appeal to you.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I like the tree DayCee. I like the back ground. The only suggestion I would have is maybe make the candles at the end of the branches a little smaller.

70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

@MrDayCee:lol nice try, but u can only kill mah Herc with that atk, now I m summoning Machamp to revenge for Herc lah (aka mah 5th entry and also mah 4th pics about snow fighting topic lah X3)

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u558/70_70_70/AG%20Armatar%20Contest%20Winter%20Ed/Snowballfight_MachampEdXD.png

@GOH, kegaumongo, pick and other guys: what do u think about mah 5th entry?
but plz know that I put the background in pure red and do NOT have snow bcoz it s the Machamp's AURA that melted the snow alr lah XD

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Urm, the monster-like thing looks good, but, I don't understand what does it have to do with 'winter?'

I mean, adding snowballs to a creature isn't really capturing the theme, no?

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

now I m summoning Machamp to revenge for Herc lah

Doesn't Machamp have 6 arms? But other than the snowballs what does it have to do with winter? :P
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii523/snowman921/elf.png
Meh. I tried. Anyone know any good programs for MAc that are not paint brush? Because when I use paintbrush, its all pixaly n stuff.

Showing 76-90 of 299