Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Should marching band be considered a sport?

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 5:13pm

soccerdude2

soccerdude2

1,587 posts

I really don't think Golf should be considered a sport either but that's another discussion altogether.

And yes, I do think some amount of athletic ability needs to be factored in the equation.

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 7:09pm

killersup10

killersup10

1,786 posts

Not really a sport...it is a side-sport. One that is alot less frequent, and in today's society is not "physical" enough to be a "real sport"

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 7:11pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

It's not about "deriving satisfaction" from it. It's about it being considered a sport so it can be aired on sports channels or even have tournaments for it.

I'm talking about people in general though, not professionals. People who wouldn't be good enough to be on TV anyway. And you can have tournaments, competitions, etc. for anything. Society does not consider playing the piano a sport, but there are still plenty of opportunities to test your talent and hard work against others. It seems like people feel better about themselves when they're convinced they play a sport and others don't, and that's something I cannot understand.

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 7:15pm

letsgome_gome

letsgome_gome

697 posts

yes because you march for a long time with extra weight, and no because it is not athletic ability to create noise.

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 8:36pm

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

419 posts

Marching bands are srs business.

Also, everything that you don't know and have not tried seems so easy...and then you try it...

I'd say it is a sport but not a traditional sport that people would watch because of the lack of competitive nature.

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 8:44pm

handlerfan

handlerfan

192 posts

I think that marching band is more performing art than sport. It;s more about entertainment than a sport which is about achieving the aims of the game better than the competition.

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 10:13pm

Clancy12

Clancy12

3,938 posts

I agree with handlerfan. Marching band is a form of music which is a form of art, so marching band is an art not a sport.

Reply to Should marching band be considered a sport?

You must be logged in to post a reply!