Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gun control in the US

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 2:28am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,299 posts

Knight

But the wording does not state muskets..the way the amendment was written (Right to bear arms) gives an implication that one has the right to bear arms..no matter the evolution of these arms

Guns at that time meant muskets. Or those prototype pistols.

But like I said..I do agree with the viewpoint of that the amendment was created solely based on how America was as a country at the time..my issue was how he was saying that because the guns have gotten more advanced, the law has become outdated..rather than because we are in a different America now, the law has become outdated

Guns have changed, and America has changed. Having a 30 round assault rifle is change when compared to a slow loading musket.

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 2:30am

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

But the wording does not state muskets..the way the amendment was written (Right to bear arms) gives an implication that one has the right to bear arms..no matter the evolution of these arms

Situations change. Also, for the who knows how many times, the rational people are advocating increased regulation and restriction, not complete illegalization.

.I don't know why he is continuing trying to push it though.

Because it sounds good, essentially. It's a logical fallacy called a red herring, where you try to use something else as an example when it's not relevant to the point you're trying to make.

What I was trying to get at was that the law isn't outdated because of the guns we have now, but because of America's situational differences now

It's outdated for both of those reasons actually. What guns are now is as big a difference as a sling to a trebuchet. Both function on the same basic principles but their scope is so far apart that the former is harmless in contrast.

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 8:38pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,699 posts

Alright so basically Obama wants to Ban assault rifles and stuff similar to that? Or all guns? Still I don't see how this will work since everyone knows CRIMINALS DON'T FOLLOW THE LAW So why do people think banning it will keep it out of a criminal's hands. They can get it from another country. Trust me they'll find a way.

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 8:41pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,299 posts

Knight

You don't need an assault rifle for any purpose other than war.

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 8:58pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,699 posts

I stated no opinions on that. I was asking if he wanted to ban just Assault Rifles or Guns altogether. Also I said Criminals don't follow the law so this won't affect them. They'll find a way to get Guns.

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 9:35pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,299 posts

Knight

Assault rifles. I was stating my own opinion too.

And at any rate, I don't see that many criminals getting Their hands on illegal weapons in the rest of the First World nations; far less than the USA.

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 11:29pm

Blairlarson

Blairlarson

93 posts

i think that we should have guns in the USA but I think that we should have a very good background check on the person before the person sells the gun.

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 11:47pm

404011xz

404011xz

218 posts

There will always be criminals, and there will always be those who break the laws. Gun control will only really hurt people seeing as how most crimes commited are with illegal guns and not legal guns. Look at newtown, I hate to bring it up, but that kid STOLE the guns from his mom, he had tried to purchase a gun but he failed because they did a background check and it didn't come up well. The current laws they have for guns right now is fine, basic background check to see if they qualify. But they shouldn't make us jump through 50 hoops to get a gun for something as simple as self defence. Assault rifles, dangerous but if for any reason a mob of crazy rioters or robbers tries to get into your house that is the best option. I'm not sayin shoot them all, just a simple bullet in the ground will scare most mobs off. Look at hurricane sandy, you know that there was looting and a gun would be a major deterant for looters.

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 11:56pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

Look at newtown, I hate to bring it up, but that kid STOLE the guns from his mom, he had tried to purchase a gun but he failed because they did a background check and it didn't come up well.

And his mom was obviously an irresponsible gun owner to leave the gun in a place her son could get to it.

The current laws they have for guns right now is fine, basic background check to see if they qualify.

More than a basic background check should be necessary when purchasing something that can potentially be used as a weapon of murder.

Assault rifles, dangerous but if for any reason a mob of crazy rioters or robbers tries to get into your house that is the best option.

Are you really that paranoid? If so, I suggest counseling.

just a simple bullet in the ground will scare most mobs off.

1) Then a non automatic weapon would be fine, right?
2) Why is there a mob at your door?

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 11:56pm

xeano321

xeano321

3,037 posts

Knight

Also I said Criminals don't follow the law so this won't affect them. They'll find a way to get Guns.

Excellent point. Criminals already get guns illegally, what's going to stop them after the guns are banned? Nothing. They have no fear of the law now, they still wont have a fear of the law later.

Blaming guns for the abuse of the 2nd amendment right is wrong. Guns are not the cause of the trouble, it's people.

Maybe requiring character references when an individual goes to purchase a gun would be a good place to start. Check too see if the guy is responsible, if he is reliable, and if he has respect for weapons.

Reply to Gun control in the US

You must be logged in to post a reply!