Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Do you believe in Global warming?

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 9:47am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,258 posts

Knight

Yes we will. We have an entire universe to explore.

He's talking short-term. The island may very well be flooded or dramatically reduced in a few decades.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 10:55am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,239 posts

Knight

And this is why I often can't take the Americans I meet irl seriously.

gimme a call when its time, i can make the contacts for you. =P

Heehee, money making time!

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 2:07pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

i doubt we will ever get away from this solar system whit a possible destination in sight.

Heehee, money making time!

is this the call that your in the government? ^^

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 2:11pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

i doubt we will ever get away from this solar system whit a possible destination in sight.

It's not that we can't, it's just that such a thing would use up a ton of resources (basically a moving worldlet) and it would definitely be a one way trip consisting of generations of people trapped in a miniature biosphere...

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 9:13pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

It's not that we can't,

nope, but i doubt we will ever do it.
the fuel might even be the biggest problem here.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 10:18pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

Nuclear/solar power might work, but then there's food/water (I guess recycling waste could work), some type of ammunition for clearing space debris, medical supplies, repair supplies, etc that would need to last at least thousands of years.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 7:38am

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

nuclear doesn't last long enough. and the further away you are from a sun the less efficient solar power gets (unless we can achieve starlight power)
helium-3 would be my best bet but that also doesn't last forever.

but yea, taking all the rest in mind aswell. i think it is to much work and then we still wont have a destinationthat we know for certain that is safe.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 9:53pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,342 posts

Knight

but yea, taking all the rest in mind aswell. i think it is to much work and then we still wont have a destinationthat we know for certain that is safe.

First build a base on the moon, then cause a nuclear accident that will propel the entire thing out of it's orbit and into space, then improvise (Space 1999).

If I had terminal cancer and the technology allowed it, I would volunteer to be launch into space and describe everything I see until I die (useful data for future voyage).
If I were younger I would do it for sure even though I weren't dying.
I would miss trees and nature but that would be for a great cause (helping humanity). When the Earth becomes inhabitable, a second or third generation could colonize another planet eventually.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 9:59pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

Fuel is only needed primarily for acceleration. Once you're moving fast, that's that. As for the acceleration bit, gravity slingshot doesn't require much fuel.

I suppose there would be a fuel consumption for power onboard, but with a large enough storage of fuel (whatever that may be) supplemented by solar, you could hold out until you reach various solar systems and resupply by mining asteroids.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 10:18pm

ellock

ellock

379 posts

Global warming... I have a complicated view on this.
For starters, I DON'T believe in all the crap that the media says about it, they blow everything out of proportion and it is mostly ill-informed on top of that.
With that out of the way, I do think it would be quite possible for the CO2 levels to cause global warming. I do not think however, that this is what we are experiencing. I think it is just a cycle the earth is going through. I do think the CO2 levels need to be dealt with before they get to be a problem, and it may cause some of the issue, but not all of it; or even half of it.
May not be as complicated as you thought... but it is complicated to me because usually I have pretty concrete views on things.

Reply to Do you believe in Global warming?

You must be logged in to post a reply!