ForumsWEPRDo you believe in Global warming?

81 31007
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I personaly think the politics do talk about this to scare us. Everyone is worried about how to stop Global warming when what we should be more worried about wheather it is caused by man. I believe Global warming does exist but it is just natural cycle that the Earth's average temprature goes through. Earth naturally heats and cools as time goes on and I think we should except the change than rather stop it.

• 81 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I prefer to call it climate change.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Climate change is a reality, a fact, and as you said, part of the natural cycles, as we are technically still in an ice age and warming up. However, humans do have an impact, that might not be as catastrophic as some portray it but surely will be detrimental to some animal species for which the change comes too fast.

You're also right in saying we probably won't be able to avoid it, and part of expecting the change is being ready to handle it, instead of sitting idly around. There will be implications.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Earth naturally heats and cools as time goes on and I think we should except the change than rather stop it.

Yes... And they act like we are the only generation that does this... xP Global warming has been happening ever since the first civilzations. And it's not like nothing freezes anymore xD
Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

you know what I kinda did.... until yesterday...... cuz when it is below freezing in Phoenix Arizona at 11 in the morning you know global warming isn't real.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

That hole in the ozone doesn't just sit around like a murderous Sarlaac mouth and do nothing.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

That hole in the ozone doesn't just sit around like a murderous Sarlaac mouth and do nothing.

It also isn't having any major effect on the global temperature of the planet nor will it cause the end of the world in *insert current number of years until next apocalyptic prediction/generic 5 years until a changing climate destroys us all* the way environmentalists claim global warming will. Yes pollution is a bad thing and finding a way to minimize it, or better yet end it, would be ideal but we aren't causing massive changes in the world's climate and nothing we are doing today will kill everyone any time soon unless someone launches every nuclear warhead in the U.S.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

*insert current number of years until next apocalyptic prediction/generic 5 years until a changing climate destroys us all* the way environmentalists claim global warming will.

No respectable scientist in the right frame of mind has predicted such claptrap.
What they predict, is that our activities have caused significant changes in climate patterns that will haunt us in the long run.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

I personaly think the politics do talk about this to scare us. Everyone is worried about how to stop Global warming when what we should be more worried about wheather it is caused by man. I believe Global warming does exist but it is just natural cycle that the Earth's average temprature goes through. Earth naturally heats and cools as time goes on and I think we should except the change than rather stop it.

do i believe in a fact.... yea i do.

is it caused by humans?..
no there is a natural cycle.
however humans certainly do speed up the process times a 100 if not more.
we see that the last 200 year and especially the last 60 year. the rate is sky rocketing. what nature would take a 1000 year, 200 year ago. now takes just 20 to 30 year. so humans sure are the cause that it changes faster now.

humans do have an impact, that might not be as catastrophic as some portray it

it is a threat to many people and it costs allot of money.
but as whit everything. some people take it over the top.

Global warming has been happening ever since the first civilzations.

not at this rate.

when it is below freezing in Phoenix Arizona at 11 in the morning you know global warming isn't real.

global warming is that the globe (earth) is overall warming up. this doesn't mean that it wont freeze anymore. the freezing is only 1 spot on the earth. it's not global freezing

It also isn't having any major effect on the global temperature of the planet

ozone's impact on climate consists primarily of changes in temperature.
the ozon layer retains heat in the stratosphere 30 to 50km above earth.
if the ozon layer has holes it retains less to no heat and thus does the sun warm the earth more.
and beside that has the hole other nasty effects on the earth.

this is also part the reason it still freezes in arizona. above arizona the ozon layer still retains heat so it can still be cold under it.
Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

you know what I kinda did.... until yesterday...... cuz when it is below freezing in Phoenix Arizona at 11 in the morning you know global warming isn't real.

It is real. And the thing is that while it is natural, life on Earth can't adapt fast enough. That's the problem.
Besch
Besch
37 posts
Scribe

Ice ages an warm phases will continue to come and go as long as the land bridge of middle america exists. Only because of this the gulf stream is redirected back to Northern Europe. And each time a "minor" event changes the condition up there (shift in planetary trajectory, change of salt concentration in polar region,...).

The interesting thing of Global warming is, it occurs faster and faster.

Warmer water has a bigger volume causing sea levels to rise higher.
The ice caps are reflecting enormous amounts of sun radiation which is now more and more absorbed by the sea.
The solubility of CO² in water (yes a gas can "dissolve" into water) is worse when its temperature is higher (just like warm soda hasnt any gas in it anymore).

thebloxxer
thebloxxer
28 posts
Nomad

I don't believe in "Global Warming", but I will believe in Pollution.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I don't believe in "Global Warming", but I will believe in Pollution.

There's no reason to believe in pollution, it's a fact you have to acknowledge; just as climate change is.

The solubility of CO² in water (yes a gas can "dissolve" into water) is worse when its temperature is higher (just like warm soda hasnt any gas in it anymore).

It's still soluble enough to acidify the water substantially which then aggresses corals even more, or so I've read. There's something with corals, their inbuild algae and water CO2 content going on though I don't remember what exactly anymore.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I'm torn about this subject because on one hand, we're coming out of an Ice Age so it's normal that a warm up is occurring.
The idea that man causes it is a little iffy to me but I agree that pollution could help accelerate the process.
Also those maniacs who are decimating to Amazonian forest are definitely causing a change in the weather.
It brakes the cycle of trees filtering the CO2 and the evaporation causing clouds that produces rain.
It also weakens the soil which can create huge and deadly mud slides during rainy seasons so I don't really know what to think of it honestly.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

those maniacs who are decimating to Amazonian forest

until a few year ago (in brazil) land owners were only allowed to cut about 20% of their trees. (then sell the land so the new owner can cut 20%)
they have changed that to a whooping 75%.
it wont take very long befor siberia is the only giant forest left. especially whit the worlds demand on rainforest wood.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

until a few year ago (in brazil) land owners were only allowed to cut about 20% of their trees. (then sell the land so the new owner can cut 20%)
they have changed that to a whooping 75%.
it wont take very long befor siberia is the only giant forest left. especially whit the worlds demand on rainforest wood.

We live in a depressing world. Oh well, I'll laugh/cough when everyone realizes they have lost a fifth of the world's oxygen with the missing Amazon.

I believe in Climate Change, for certain. There are too many changes happening to ignore. When I lived in Christchurch, New Zealand, we were getting snow. NZ is a relatively warm country, and the cold winters bear little snow due to the sea being so close. Yet we started getting snow a fair bit, in the recent two years. Other examples can be found throughout the world, not to mention the ozone hole baking Antartica.
Showing 1-15 of 81