ForumsThe TavernImprove your weakness or your strength?

12 4389
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

If you haven't noticed already nearly everyone immediately goes to their strength. This might be normal to other people but to me I really like being a all rounder. Does this affect me badly? Occasionally, but not enough for it to be bad. For example in the sport I play (Soccer/Football), and I feel I can semi-comfortably play any position semi-good and very comfortably in any of the wing back positions (I use both my feet).

I feel this greatly improves my game and it also means I'm always the player that fills in positions. It is really fun when the coach tells you that you're going from LB to ST and the other team gets really confused.

However, this isn't about me. Do you work on your weakness, or do you keep improving your strength?

• 12 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I tend to work on my weaknesses, but weakness should be defined. For me, a weakness is a crippling factor in performing some activity to the best of my ability. It does not refer to an underdeveloped area that is not necessary to train. For example, in basketball, I tend to play either point or shooting guard. One of my weaknesses is finishing with both hands at the rim. However, even though I am not very skilled at them, I don't consider post moves a weakness. They are simply not necessary for the type of player I want to be: an explosive creator who does most of his work from the perimeter. In this regard, it would be wiser to work on my handles (already a strength) than my post moves. Of course, the priority would still be the ability to finish with both hands, but that does not necessarily preclude me from continuously working on my strengths.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I'm going to stick with sports theme...so baseball for me

I try to improve on them evenly...but I tend to focus on my strengths (hitting/hitting for power and base stealing), mostly because those are 2 big factors in the game that I know will help push my somewhat possible career

What I should work on though is my fielding (more specifically..those **** ground balls)...but then I toss it to the side by thinking (psh...DH it is then)

Hintkin
Hintkin
21 posts
Nomad

Improve your weakness to make it your strength

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

as an all-rounder, you have skills in everything however they could be fixed in many ways. when you excell in one thing, it is ultimate strength however you potentially fail in everything else. i like that, because i dont feel like training in everything else.

SaifurRahman
SaifurRahman
70 posts
Blacksmith

I agree with Hintkin.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Improve your weakness to make it your strength

I agree with Hintkin.

What if I don't want my weakness to be my strength?

I'd much rather be known for power and base-stealing than for fielding..
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

When you miss that pop fly that wins the game for your opponent, I'm sure you might feel differently.

I'll stick with the sports theme too I guess:

I can throw up to a 40 yard pass in (American) football (with great accuracy I might add), I can also punt around 50 yards at best, but I can't catch either very well, nor can I run very fast. (BTW, I don't play in an actual league, I'm talking street football.)

So, if I improve my catching and agility, that doesn't really make either my strong points, seeing as how I'm always quarterback or punter.... In short, I'm guessing I don't have much to say.
Hintkin
Hintkin
21 posts
Nomad

What if I don't want my weakness to be my strength?

it's up to you if you want your weakness to be your strength.
But in order to get less vulnerable, strengthening your weakness is the key.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Do you work on your weakness, or do you keep improving your strength?

Both. Some situations require both, i.e, You can't give up on a certain subject in school just because you're bad at it. I have a stack of math papers that weigh 5kg, and is about 3 feet high. So, that's improving weaknesses.

But there would come a stage whereby your field is narrowed more or less to your strength. If a professional footballer plays in a certain position, he's more or less stuck. Messi can't be told to improve as a GK even though that's his weakness.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

When you miss that pop fly that wins the game for your opponent, I'm sure you might feel differently.

Same goes if I strikeout with a runner on 3rd to end the game with my team losing by 1
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

You can do both. I used to have a lightning start in any mountain bike races.
Which mean I was always first for a few laps but then my poor endurance (weakness) made me lose at the end, finishing 3rd and most of the time 4th.
I then worked on improving my endurance.

When I equipped my MB for the road (no suspension, slick tires, bigger chain ring), I could ride full speed for 15 minutes and I could ride non stop from full speed to 95% speed for 45 minutes.
After being sick I went back to zero and I've been working on rebuilding my skills which took a long time but now I'm older so I have to work harder at it. I can go up steep hills easily but my top speed/endurance are not great right now so my goal is to get back to where I was (I hope).

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Sports theme?
For me, a tennis player, my strength comes from forehands and returns. If you give me a nice forehand to my strike zone, your gonna have a bad time. I am also good a returning serves. Never been ace'd. It's a good skill set and all, but serving is also very important. I need more work on that. Backhands are decent. Takes some warming up to, but I can do it. Net play/overheads are no problem either. I have fast reflexes and at six feet, hardly anything gets over my head that isn't out. So my serve and backhand are my weekest. I'd rather have it this way than the opposite I guess, but given the choice I would go with well rounded.

Showing 1-12 of 12