ForumsWEPRAm i Evil?

56 8629
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I have been wondering about this for a long time and i really started thinking about it around 3 weeks ago. This was when i began my bombing training. I can now drop 1000 pound laser guided and 500 pound unguided bombs from a harrier GR7. I became i fighter pilot because i loved flying and the RAF is in my history but the dropping of bombs never occured to me to be an issue. I am going to Afghanistan for my first 4 month tour in 9 months next february. I will almost certainly have to drop bombs and i have no doubt in my ability to do so but it is the moral issue i am questioning. I myself try to focus on the positive side of it ie the lives i save by doing so and i think about my brother who is a royal marine whose life has been saved by close air support on a number of occassions and that seems to justify it. However my mother is very religious and thinks all killing is wrong. For me it is not a religious issue as i am an atheist however i think it would be quite souless to say that atheists dont feel anything whilst killing. I myself think that it is a good job done if i drop a bomb and also feel a sense of professional pride but i understand there are lots of people who dont feel that way. I want people to give their opinion on this however i dont want this to turn into a thread about the Iraq war please keep it specific thank you.

• 56 Replies
shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

in every career,there's people hating you,like a judge,the accused family would be likely to hate you,but the victim's family would feel that they have done their job well,

in everyone's perspective,there's always a good view and a bad view,

if you know that what you are doing is right,you are right,if u think that what u have done is right,it will be right.

my teacher used to say,if you have done something right,you will definitely feel proud tell your mother and kids,if you have done something wrong,you will be unlikely to tell anyone about it.

so think about it,would you be proud of telling the people around you wat you have done?

anyway,in a war,nothing's fair.
the survive,you must kill.
to protect,you must also kill.

so as it goes"there's no unwounded man in a war"
therefore,i think that being an RAF soldier,
you are protecting your country,unless your country decides to go around attacking other country,what you have done is bad,
if the country have attacked your country,it's a proud thing to do to protect your country.

but make sure that the building you are gonna bomb is not that hospital,it's bad bombing injured people or farms.
animals are innocent

=Dthat's all i have to say and all that you have to decide.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

@ shermx

I do feel proud of the fact i get to fly multi million pound planes and help save people as i belive i am doing it for the right reasons regardless of the circumstances of the war. I mean i dont actually see the people i kill which means i am slightly removed from it but the ones i do kill die instantly as they cant survive the bombs. Also no one bombs buildings anymore. I provide close air support to the troops on the ground so i bomb infantry.

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

I dont think youre evil. It is your job to protect this country from the OpFor(Opposing Force).

Got that from Call of Duty 4.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

lol but Afghanistan is a little bit different from a video game i assure u. And we are fighting the Taliban not some fictional militaristic Arab country

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

Yea i figure that. But Call of Duty 4 always makes me think of the Middle East.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Well half of it is in Russia dont 4get anyway get bak on topic it is serious.

Manik668
Manik668
40 posts
Scribe

Well, you are doing your job, and where there is fighting,somebody has to do the killing, and it could be for a just reason.

You are not evil, you are doing what you have been trained to do and you do it well.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Sorry to miscalculate that, but either way, you are fighting for a good cause. To protect your brother and fellow soldiers. Just because you are killing some bad guys, doesn't necessarily make you evil. If you are fighting for the safety of others, than I believe you are not evil, but the exact opposite.

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

OK, seriously, i think you are not evil. You are doing this for the good of your country, your family, and every1 else you are protecting

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Thanks guys. To be honst before i wanst 100% sure bout it. I mean people call murderers evil but i could potentially kill 200 people in my first tour. Different circumstances obviously but can u compare one life with 200?

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I guess you can't really compare 200:1. It sure does look bad, but your heart is in the right place. If you think about it, war is the only solution to conflicts on the larger scale. Humans in general just can't work things out with words.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

sadly thats true but that doesnt nescessarily make it right.

Wittman
Wittman
318 posts
Nomad

Well, do you think that you would be evil. If you do then you are evil but if you don't then you are not.

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

Murderers are people who kill for some stupid reason like money and power. You are doing this for the good of your people, so i wouldnt call you a murderer.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Well i would be lying if i sed that killing people doesnt bother me thats why i made this thread but at the same time ihave confidence i am doing it for the right reasons. But i dont htink my opinion counts i mean Hitler thought he was doing the right thing. that's why i am asking everyone else

Showing 16-30 of 56