ForumsWEPRAm i Evil?

56 8630
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I have been wondering about this for a long time and i really started thinking about it around 3 weeks ago. This was when i began my bombing training. I can now drop 1000 pound laser guided and 500 pound unguided bombs from a harrier GR7. I became i fighter pilot because i loved flying and the RAF is in my history but the dropping of bombs never occured to me to be an issue. I am going to Afghanistan for my first 4 month tour in 9 months next february. I will almost certainly have to drop bombs and i have no doubt in my ability to do so but it is the moral issue i am questioning. I myself try to focus on the positive side of it ie the lives i save by doing so and i think about my brother who is a royal marine whose life has been saved by close air support on a number of occassions and that seems to justify it. However my mother is very religious and thinks all killing is wrong. For me it is not a religious issue as i am an atheist however i think it would be quite souless to say that atheists dont feel anything whilst killing. I myself think that it is a good job done if i drop a bomb and also feel a sense of professional pride but i understand there are lots of people who dont feel that way. I want people to give their opinion on this however i dont want this to turn into a thread about the Iraq war please keep it specific thank you.

• 56 Replies
stumpyyy
stumpyyy
173 posts
Nomad

hes not evil. hes just pissed off at Binladin for blowing all our people up and he just wants to kill everybody over there. just like me.
~Stumpyyy~

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I do not want to kill all of the people. do not assume things about me just because i am in the military. we are not all flag waving idiots although clearly u are.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,269 posts
Jester

No your not evil, think of it this way;

If there is a guy who threatens to kill three or so kids and the olny guy that can stop him is the sniper...

1) The sniper kills the guy and saves three lives, so he took one to save three.

2) He lets the guy shoot the kids... That means he let three kids get killed, so three lived were taken.

What I mean is would you take a life to save a life, or let everything die? I mean we as humans are sometimes like animals, we kill to survive, also if you don't kill, I am almost certain that your enemeies would not have a second thought about killing you.

So evan thought it may seem wrong, but sometimes killing is the olny solution left.

@ stumpyyy.......WOW dude....

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Dude, when a terrorist chucks a bomb at your house, would you be evil when you bombed him back? No so apply the same basic logic to the fact that you are eliminating the problem before it happens. Yay for barnie, i appreciate him too.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

You know Hitman? Hes an assasin from a series of games, and just recently a movie. Its his job to kill people, and he does it very well, but in addition to that, he has a good side, as he prays in church for salvation and goes to confession. As long as someone holds a part of them away from their evil-ness, they will never be evil.

Zahz
Zahz
47 posts
Peasant

Do you enjoy the killing? If not then you are not evil.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

well if you drop a bomb on a bad person then good but if you like it then i dont blame you but if you kill your own people then you like it you are evil

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

That sucks, I don't think your evil, like the wanted show says, "1 person for 1000."

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

You know Hitman? Hes an assasin from a series of games, and just recently a movie. Its his job to kill people, and he does it very well, but in addition to that, he has a good side, as he prays in church for salvation and goes to confession. As long as someone holds a part of them away from their evil-ness, they will never be evil.

Florglee2 that is an interesting point. However i myself dont go to church but i would like to think that i do hold a part of myself away from evilness like you said.

Do you enjoy the killing? If not then you are not evil.

I do not enjoy killing but just because you dont enjoy it does it make the deed itself any less evil?

[/quote]but if you kill your own people then you like it you are evil

Why would i aim to drop a bomb on my own people? Unless you are talking about friendly fire and blue on blue casualties im not sure. I would never do that on purpose. My aim is to save as many coalition troops as i can.

That sucks, I don't think your evil, like the wanted show says, "1 person for 1000."[quote]

I'm not sure what wanted is but i think that is an interesting concept. However one of the main reasons i started this thread is because like i said on my original post. It is often nescessary to kill more people than i save. One of the reasons people call in air strikes is because they are outnumbered. In most cases i would kill say 50-100 taliban or maybye more to save a single unit of troops. So even though i am killing lots of 'bad' people i am killing more than i save.
TheMetalGrunt
TheMetalGrunt
113 posts
Nomad

I don't believe you are evil from a professional, or normal stand point. Don't beat yourself up for protecting your country. You an American ?

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

No i am English. I am half Greek and half Nigerian actually but even so i have lived in London all my life and consider my home nation England.

Showing 46-56 of 56