Forums

ForumsVideo Games

Terran, Zerg, or 'Toss (General Starcraft thread)

Posted Jan 7, '13 at 9:35pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,273 posts

With a witty title, this thread is for anything Starcraft related, if you need/want help with levels (or in SC2, achievements), you can ask here.

I have 1 tip, to start out, the prima guide for SC1 is horrible, use it for tips if you have trouble, but not a walkthrough.

And I am curious as to what your favorite race is, mine is either Terran or Toss, never liked Zerg.

finally, to start out with tips, I am a mediocre player, anyone have any tips on how to get better at multiplayer?

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Jan 7, '13 at 11:39pm

Vagueshade

Vagueshade

84 posts

In my (brief) experience in playing SC1, as well as my brother telling me some tactics and tournament experiences, I'd choose Terran.

They were pretty good when it comes to being good both Offensively and Defensively, but Mastering their race entirely was harder than Zerg and Protoss.

That, and YAMATO CANON \\(OwO)/

Posted Jan 8, '13 at 1:54am

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,062 posts

Get ready for any starcraft players to reply with Protoss. Last time I played it, that was the OP race, don't know about know.
I liked to mix it, wasn't good but it was an enjoyable learning experience.
At one time I did only play Zerg since Psystarcraft is imo a legendary zerg player, and I learned alot from him.

finally, to start out with tips, I am a mediocre player, anyone have any tips on how to get better at multiplayer?

There are literally articles of rules and tricks and tips in starcraft, if you want to get into it, it will take months, if not years to get anywhere good.
The only tip I can give you is don't play against korean players, trust me on this.

Posted Jan 8, '13 at 2:37am

Vagueshade

Vagueshade

84 posts

The only tip I can give you is don't play against korean players, trust me on this.

They have tournaments televised in front of thousands, it's practically a sport to them.

Pro Tip: Get one as a buddy.

No doubt you'd learn a lot from him.

Posted Jan 8, '13 at 3:31am

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

Are we talking about Starcraft 1 or 2?

On that note, anyone else looking forward to the Heart of the Swarm expansion coming out soon?

As for achievements, I've gotten all of the Liberty Campaign and Exploration ones, so if you want advice those are easy.

And I am curious as to what your favorite race is, mine is either Terran or Toss, never liked Zerg.

Protoss on sc2, gotta love the Stalkers. Terran sucks though for multiplayer (seriously, no meds or gols) and I haven't really played Zerg enough due to me barely doing melee matches.

anyone have any tips on how to get better at multiplayer?

1) Learn unit/building hotkeys.
2) Get really good with economy. You always want to be getting more and more resources and uses them as fast as you can.
3) Use the units you make well. Terrain, abilities, microing and such makes or breaks the game.

Posted Jan 8, '13 at 9:32pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,273 posts

Are we talking about Starcraft 1 or 2?

On that note, anyone else looking forward to the Heart of the Swarm expansion coming out soon?

As for achievements, I've gotten all of the Liberty Campaign and Exploration ones, so if you want advice those are easy.

Both, and I don't know about Heart of the Swarm, I am not sure this computer has enough space (12 GB is a tenth of the hard drive)

I am working my way through Liberty, but I really want the Zen Master (team and solo) achievements.

btw, I don't really understand, what are melee games? (in sc2)

Protoss on sc2, gotta love the Stalkers. Terran sucks though for multiplayer (seriously, no meds or gols) and I haven't really played Zerg enough due to me barely doing melee matches.

true dat, I was playing my second qualifier game, as random, I got toss (and my opponent too), so I tried to tech up real quick, then he comes in and destroys me with mass stalkers.

Combining the medic and dropship, although it saves space, removes one advantage from the medic (THEY CAN HEAL EACHOTHER), now you need a medivac and a science vessal both, but there are no sv's on multi. (nothing handier than a medic for vehicles) As for gols, they would be really beast if you had the upgraded targeting system. (really handy when you are fighting a base defended by air)

1) Learn unit/building hotkeys.
2) Get really good with economy. You always want to be getting more and more resources and uses them as fast as you can.
3) Use the units you make well. Terrain, abilities, microing and such makes or breaks the game.

I usually build lots of scvs early on, then I get destroyed by a rush (in sc1, haven't played that many sc2 games, other than liberty), as for micro, mine is just horrible.

I know about Korea, that has been going on for years, I think. Besides, I am probably more likely to do a SSBB tournament.

Anyone have tips for Left 4 Dea... I mean Left 2 Die? (teamliquid is pretty good for most acheivements, I used them to get Blaze of Glory, but they have nothing for this map)

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Jan 8, '13 at 9:47pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

btw, I don't really understand, what are melee games? (in sc2)

I suppose they're called league games or w/e in sc2. I don't really play them much though.

Combining the medic and dropship, although it saves space, removes one advantage from the medic (THEY CAN HEAL EACHOTHER),

That's basically a duh. Why shouldn't medics be able to heal each other? Not that it really matters in a huge fight anyways.

now you need a medivac and a science vessal both, but there are no sv's on multi. (nothing handier than a medic for vehicles)

Exactly. On multiplayer, Terran is nerfed so hard.

As for gols, they would be really beast if you had the upgraded targeting system. (really handy when you are fighting a base defended by air)

Upgraded targeting system is OP. I don't mind that not being in there, but gols are like Terran's bread. You can have a pile of jelly and peanut butter but without bread it's just a glob of pointless crud.

I forget if there's wraiths or not in multiplayer (I don't think so) and Terran is super weak against air unless you get tons of vikings, but then Zerg/Toss come in with mass hydras/roaches/stalkers and just **** you while you change.

I usually build lots of scvs early on, then I get destroyed by a rush (in sc1,

Don't even play sc1 melee. 75% of the players have hacks and the main strategy is just rushing.

as for micro, mine is just horrible.

My problem is I end up with tons of resources laying around. I still win pretty much every time, but that's because I'm really good with how I use my units.

And by tons of resources, like 2.5k gas/mins just waiting to be used while I run around with 20 stalkers...

I used them to get Blaze of Glory,

That was one of the easiest to get achievements. I met the requirement for that on Brutal twice over.

The hardest achievement to get for the Liberty Campaign I think is Brutal completionist, simply because Supernova is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE MISSION. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Supernova.

I mean Left 2 Die?

Upgrade and make lots of bunkers/tanks. Turrets around the perimeter are needed too. Other than that, it's your basic mission from the campaign (except the giant green ultralisks, which I'd just keep a hellion or vulture out front and run around while your tanks/bunkers work at it.)

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 10:11pm

PauseBreak

PauseBreak

310 posts

I've played BW pretty regularly but I've switched completely over to SC2. Where I play, A LOT.

I main as Terran, used to main as Protoss. And I play Zerg on occasion.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 10:14pm

PauseBreak

PauseBreak

310 posts

I've completed all the Brutal missions on the campaign and the Lost Vikings achievements. If anyone needs help, at anything, let me know :D

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 10:57pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

the Lost Vikings achievements

That was the last achievement I got for the campaign.

Sole reason why was because my laptop could barely run sc2 (which is still fine when units move on their own even while lagging) but in Lost Viking it was literally a 1-2 second response time from when I told it to move to when it moved, so I was basically trying to play in the future...Anyways, got a new comp and got it the first try so meh.

I've completed all the Brutal missions on the campaign

Just curious, how did you beat Supernova? I ended up skipping taking over the second base and just went straight for the last one and then ran up the far side of the map as a suicide run to break the vault. Firewall was still not even 3 minutes away from me.

Reply to Terran, Zerg, or 'Toss (General Starcraft thread)

You must be logged in to post a reply!