ForumsArt, Music, and Writingit is finally here! *drumroll* my art thread!!!

14 5510
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

OK, I am going to share my arts with you people. hope you likes.

(I dont really take requests unless they are for simple things...)

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/light_chaser1/2013-01-21195607.jpg this is a drawing I did of my friend David. I jacked up his hair really bad...

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/light_chaser1/2013-01-21195512.jpg This is a random guy I dreamed up.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/light_chaser1/2013-01-21195553.jpg That is a drawing of my sister.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/light_chaser1/1358809507132.jpg That is a drawing of my sisters friend rachael I think...

No, I dont have a scanner, why?

• 14 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

It's great that you've set up your own thread and are contributing to the life of the AMW. In your OP you've chosen to tackle what's probably the most difficult subject in drawing: portraiture. Of these, full frontal portraits are the hardest. To this end I have to ask you one vital thing... did you use a ruler to draw those faces?

This question is particularly important because while it's hard to draw sturdy lines if you haven't drawn for very long, no face has perfectly straight lines, which means if you do use a ruler, you'll have trouble progressing. The best way to proceed would be to visualise the various face shapes (based on a triangle, square, or oval), like in a comic book, or magazines, or real life, and just practice a ton of those shapes, freehand, kinda moulding them to the shape of a head. See if you can capture the feel of it (it will take a while).

Getting the shape right is most important, because if you don't have a good frame to hang the features on, the face still won't make sense, if you know what I mean.

Okay, keep at it!

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

for some of the lines I used a pencil, and some of the other lines I use freehand... I dont really care, but with most of the face lines, I used a ruler...

I know I have more art somewhere *digs into the depths of computer* nope, guess not...

And strop, not all the arts I do are just those, I do some random crappy doodles (need pics of them...) and some other thingys. I have also made some more faces, just need to take a picture of them!

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Okay. As I said in the first post try not to use a ruler to draw faces, it'll stop you from learning how to capture the various shapes of faces there are.

And yes, I wasn't assuming that the only thing you drew were portraits, though they are the hardest thing to do. Feel free to post other things too, at your leisure.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Oh hello there Light_chaser ^_^
I like your arts
now question: How would one go about inputting pictures into AG? I've always been meaning to ask somebody and now's as good a time as any.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

ok, strop, got it, I'll work on that...

and storm, Hi!! and heres how you do a picture: first: put the photo/scan on imageshack/photobucket, then, get the direct link to it, then just click the image bbcode on top of the posting bar. then paste the direct link in there and tada! you have an arts thing.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

oh yeah, sorry for the DP but I also usually use a compass for the head circle. perfect circles are hard to do...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

The only head I know that's a perfect circle is Tintin's :P There are surely others, but the point is... aim to do it freehand, and see how the faces might be similar but different to those perfect shapes.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Strop: Got another two characters with near-perfect circle heads: http://www.willemwever.nl/data/files/suske-en-wiske.jpg (Two do-goodie belgian characters called Suske & Wiske)
Also, I must say that I've always found full-frontal portraits a lot easier to do than portraits at an angle, but maybe that's just me.

light_chaser: I think you'll find that after even just a little practice, you can draw better heads by hand, simply because perfect circles and straight lines make a face feel unnatural. Lose that, and despite squiggly lines your faces look better!

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

thanks people! and with the circles what I do is I use them for the top of the head, like a manga/anime style... but thanks!

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

To blunt out the comments:

but I also usually use a compass for the head circle. perfect circles are hard to do...

Don't use a compass to make circles. Perfect circles are for architecture and math.

but with most of the face lines, I used a ruler...

Don't use a ruler to make lines. Perfectly straight lines are for architecture and math.

If you are not drawing architecture or something man made that in no way looks natural, draw freehand. It looks a hundred times more organic and natural, and if you screw up the lineart, you can always blame your hand shaking or someone pushing you.

Anyway. In what I have seen, you show great promise for busts. There are the more logical mistakes of proportions, which is something few people should bother with before they get confident anyway, so that isn't an issue, and with proportions come great anatomy, and so on and so forth. For now, your drawings work well, they look good besides the jarring angles of the jaw, and you aren't copying someone else's style or drawings, so that's a great plus.
Keep it up, draw freehand, and you will soon be able to take Strop in a draw-off.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Two do-goodie belgian characters called Suske & Wiske

They're a good example, in fact, of how heads aren't perfect circles. They might look like geometrically elegant shapes, but in fact you can see one is tear-drop, and the other ovoid.

full-frontal portraits a lot easier to do than portraits at an angle, but maybe that's just me.

3/4 views are difficult to nail down due to the perspective and having to appreciate the depth of features (the far eye in particular). However full frontals are hard if you attempt to do a realistic nose, because, well, a real nose doesn't have hard features unless something's wrong with it (e.g. Michael Jackson's nose after his last rhinoplasty went awry), so drawing it with lines is really difficult. And most people never get to the point of drawing noses in that fashion, they stick to anime noses or bent Ls or Js.

Keep it up, draw freehand, and you will soon be able to take Strop in a draw-off.

Then maybe sometime after that you'll be able to take Cen.
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

yeah, cant do a good nose, unless I make it comically large...

so yeah, I have more art somewhere, and I'll try to make it not so architecture and math like, cen... :P

I need to find my sketchbook again... and buy a scanner...

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

Ok, I think I am going to take a pic of some more arts... I made one free handed, didn't look to bad, actually, here it is, its a portrait of my friend nate, (he doesn't look as girly in real life, promise...)

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/light_chaser1/2013-02-04102302_zps13f391de.jpg

its sideways...

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/light_chaser1/2013-02-04220009_zps33b6f50e.jpg

its ze vamp cannon, I posted it in the ASC

Showing 1-14 of 14