Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Tabletop RPG Combat System That I Made, Need Revision

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 10:17am

spikeabc

spikeabc

1,695 posts

What are they?

you should know. there on your wall. mattemangel, dragonball, me, and blazingzelda.

you still need one more person, its all on your wall man.

Not really, its more on the fact that Ive never had really anyone to play with.

that sucks. hopefully we give you a better game.

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 2:05pm

hardigra

hardigra

191 posts

Oh thats what you meant. I thought you meant you were playesting three other games my bad.

How did the body hit die system work? You were talking about it earlier.... I expiremented with making a system involving that about a year ago, but I never shared it and I gave up on it. But the idea of using a dice like the one below is really intruiging and original, I think.
http://www.creativemountaingames.com/2011/07/12-sided-die-with-hit-locations.html

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 2:37pm

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,800 posts

well, i checked out the other 3 on the beta testing, and it looks like i'm getting most credit right now cause they arent posting anything (besides you of course)

I just didn't have anything else I felt knowledgeable enough to suggest changes to. Plus, anything I thought could be changed doesn't necessarily need changed and I wanted to see it in action when I helped with the beta test. :P

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 3:41pm

spikeabc

spikeabc

1,695 posts

How did the body hit die system work? You were talking about it earlier.... I expiremented with making a system involving that about a year ago, but I never shared it and I gave up on it.

it works like this: (simulation of a small portion of my DM combat)
DM: (me): the centurion is ready to attack you but you have the slight speed advantage (initiative). what are you going to do?
player: i'm going to just hack at this thing's neck and try for a decapitation
DM: roll for it
(player rolls a 17)
DM:you charge at the centurian full speed and you just slice its head straight off at the neck. blood squirts all over you its just terrible. the centurian falls, and you gain 50 exp (high amount)

thats just a basic simulation of a very quick and favored battle towards the player. other things like skill exp that the player would gain i'm not going to show.

your link didnt work but i copy/pasted and found it on google. thats a very randomized way to do things, i let the player aim for the body part they are attacking.

I just didn't have anything else I felt knowledgeable enough to suggest changes to. Plus, anything I thought could be changed doesn't necessarily need changed and I wanted to see it in action when I helped with the beta test. :P

will this is a feedback forum, you might as well say what you think :P

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 4:18pm

hardigra

hardigra

191 posts

thats a very randomized way to do things, i let the player aim for the body part they are attacking.

I thought you did have a body dice so i was interested on how that system worked.

That system with instant-kills reminds me of GURPS combat, where well placed attacks can usually be fatal. I was trying to hint at that sort of difficulty int his game where you only start with 2-4 Hearts.
Anyways, I might make Tales of Erabor fit the genre of Fantasy-Horror instead of just Fantasy, because at least attempting to make a vivid, scary game for people is fun.

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 4:25pm

spikeabc

spikeabc

1,695 posts

That system with instant-kills

its not insta-kill, its decapitation.
difference

reminds me of GURPS combat,

what the hell is GURPS?

Anyways, I might make Tales of Erabor fit the genre of Fantasy-Horror instead of just Fantasy, because at least attempting to make a vivid, scary game for people is fun.

eh that takes the RPG effect down a level because people start to wonder more about whats around that corner then how there gonna handle it. you probably dont understand what thats supposed to mean but its hard to explain.

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 4:32pm

hardigra

hardigra

191 posts

its not insta-kill, its decapitation.
difference

Ok..... Insta-kill if you hit them in the neck with a sword... Maybe not an insta-kill if you just take off their left hand..
what the hell is GURPS?

Generic Universal RolePlaying System, heres a link to their website. It is a pretty popular game system, i think at least.
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/

eh that takes the RPG effect down a level because people start to wonder more about whats around that corner then how there gonna handle it.

Oh I know what you mean. I think a Fantasy Horror RPG would have to be a different project.

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 5:24pm

spikeabc

spikeabc

1,695 posts

Oh I know what you mean. I think a Fantasy Horror RPG would have to be a different project.

agreed.

again, if your pointing in a link you need to use the blue link button and enter the URL in the popup, and whatever you have highlighted will become the link.

now you can know.

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 7:52pm

hardigra

hardigra

191 posts

LIKE THIS?
[url=http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/]

Well you know what GURPS is now

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 5:33pm

spikeabc

spikeabc

1,695 posts