Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

The Kraken is real!

Posted Feb 9, '13 at 6:51pm

joeyman2

joeyman2

56 posts

so in case some of you may have not heard the kraken is real. it was found somewhere off of the chinese border. ( i dont have a picture of it but its not hard to find one) the thing is huge! look it up if you dont believe me.

Posted Feb 9, '13 at 7:03pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

Article.

Only thing I could find about this on Google, hope that's what you're referring to.

The article mentions them knowing giant squids existed already, but they haven't recorded footage before.

Posted Feb 9, '13 at 7:03pm

CorporalNob

CorporalNob

64 posts

I'm pretty sure this is a troll, but what makes it funnier is that the Kraken lived in the areas of Iceland, Greenland, and Norway when depicted in Norse mythology.

Posted Feb 9, '13 at 7:05pm

CorporalNob

CorporalNob

64 posts

Oh, I thought you were talking about a real Kraken. Well the one in that article probably should be referred to as a giant squid, since one has been found already.

Posted Feb 9, '13 at 8:31pm

daleks

daleks

3,314 posts

. Well the one in that article probably should be referred to as a giant squid

Ya, if you listen to the thing they call it giant squid. But I bet that joey made the title The Kraken for more views.

Posted Feb 9, '13 at 9:26pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,337 posts

I don't think it would be cool for the kraken to be real, to be honest. The ocean freaks me out enough has it is, but that's probably from watching too many deep sea movies as a kid. Reading Sphere didn't help either...

But yeah, the giant squid. Cool creature. I think discovery channel had a show (maybe 5 years ago) that finally got a GS on tape. It was pretty breath taking.

Posted Feb 9, '13 at 10:59pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

I think discovery channel had a show (maybe 5 years ago) that finally got a GS on tape.

Yeah, I saw that. So why is this news all of a sudden? It's nothing new at all. Maybe I'm just confused, or the media has such a dullard mind with non-existent long-term memory that this is breaking news.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 2:43am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,082 posts

Knight

I always thought the mythic kraken was supposed to be a gargantuous octopus, and not some measly giant squid ;) but I'm sure that's just the article title being lurid.

As mentioned we know giant squids (Architeuthis dux) since some time already, from many dead specimens and sperm wale gut contents. There is also an even bigger one, the colossal squid (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni) living in antarctical waters.
Fun fact: the hooks on the colossal squid's two elongated arms are fully rotating within their socket :D

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 2:48am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,082 posts

Knight

Hit submit too soon..

I also wanted to mention that the reason for the article is not evidence for the existence of the giant squid; the chinese team achieved something great by actually getting a live specimen before the camera in their natural habitate, which had never been achieved before.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 6:20am

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,791 posts

Colossal squid

Really guys?There is a colossal squid?!This year,they found a new speciment called king-sized squid. Kraken's don't exist,it's logical that they don't exist,just like the Mermaids,they were actually manatee's.Manatee's make beautiful sounds,so probably that disstracted the sailors.What about the Greek mermaids,half birds and half women?Those were just big birds with beautiful sounds.So I would say,that would probably be a giant squid,instead of a Kraken. They probably just painted it.

Reply to The Kraken is real!

You must be logged in to post a reply!