ForumsThe TavernThe Kraken is real!

26 8925
joeyman2
joeyman2
65 posts
Peasant

so in case some of you may have not heard the kraken is real. it was found somewhere off of the chinese border. ( i dont have a picture of it but its not hard to find one) the thing is huge! look it up if you dont believe me.

• 26 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Article.

Only thing I could find about this on Google, hope that's what you're referring to.

The article mentions them knowing giant squids existed already, but they haven't recorded footage before.

CorporalNob
CorporalNob
64 posts
Nomad

I'm pretty sure this is a troll, but what makes it funnier is that the Kraken lived in the areas of Iceland, Greenland, and Norway when depicted in Norse mythology.

CorporalNob
CorporalNob
64 posts
Nomad

Oh, I thought you were talking about a real Kraken. Well the one in that article probably should be referred to as a giant squid, since one has been found already.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

. Well the one in that article probably should be referred to as a giant squid

Ya, if you listen to the thing they call it giant squid. But I bet that joey made the title The Kraken for more views.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I don't think it would be cool for the kraken to be real, to be honest. The ocean freaks me out enough has it is, but that's probably from watching too many deep sea movies as a kid. Reading Sphere didn't help either...

But yeah, the giant squid. Cool creature. I think discovery channel had a show (maybe 5 years ago) that finally got a GS on tape. It was pretty breath taking.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I think discovery channel had a show (maybe 5 years ago) that finally got a GS on tape.

Yeah, I saw that. So why is this news all of a sudden? It's nothing new at all. Maybe I'm just confused, or the media has such a dullard mind with non-existent long-term memory that this is breaking news.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I always thought the mythic kraken was supposed to be a gargantuous octopus, and not some measly giant squid but I'm sure that's just the article title being lurid.

As mentioned we know giant squids (Architeuthis dux) since some time already, from many dead specimens and sperm wale gut contents. There is also an even bigger one, the colossal squid (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni) living in antarctical waters.
Fun fact: the hooks on the colossal squid's two elongated arms are fully rotating within their socket

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Hit submit too soon..

I also wanted to mention that the reason for the article is not evidence for the existence of the giant squid; the chinese team achieved something great by actually getting a live specimen before the camera in their natural habitate, which had never been achieved before.

GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

Colossal squid

Really guys?There is a colossal squid?!This year,they found a new speciment called king-sized squid. Kraken's don't exist,it's logical that they don't exist,just like the Mermaids,they were actually manatee's.Manatee's make beautiful sounds,so probably that disstracted the sailors.What about the Greek mermaids,half birds and half women?Those were just big birds with beautiful sounds.So I would say,that would probably be a giant squid,instead of a Kraken. They probably just painted it.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Really guys?There is a colossal squid?!This year,they found a new speciment called king-sized squid.

Yep. Colossal squid, the most massive squid known, though the giant squid has longer tentacles. And I found nothing on that king-sized squid, care to link me?

Here's an interesting blog entry about the other bizarre squids known next to Architeuthis and Mesonychoteuthis:
The Other Gigantic Squids
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

the chinese team achieved something great by actually getting a live specimen before the camera in their natural habitate, which had never been achieved before

That's not entirely true. Like Bronze mentioned, a giant squid has been caught on tape before and it was made into a documentary on the discovery channel. They used bait to see how the giant squid hunts and managed to accidentally hook one of the squids tentacles. There's an eight armed 40 ft long squid out there plotting its revenge, we're all doomed.

Honestly, I thought that the giant squid and colossal squid (as well as the fact that they're poorly documented) were common knowledge. Even biographies about Harry Houdini mention him escaping from the carcass of a preserved giant squid. I didn't realize there were still so many people who didn't know giant and colossal squids were real.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

That's not entirely true. Like Bronze mentioned, a giant squid has been caught on tape before and it was made into a documentary on the discovery channel. They used bait to see how the giant squid hunts and managed to accidentally hook one of the squids tentacles.

Yes, that video already showed a live animal they had caught and pulled up; but as mentioned here, "researchers and cameramen had never before managed to catch a glimpse of them in the ocean abyss where they live." Which the chinese now did. The point is not only to watch them alive, it's to watch them in their natural conditions to possibly make guesses on their behaviour.
joeyman2
joeyman2
65 posts
Peasant

i never said it was a big as in legends says it is. I just said that its real...

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Yes, that video already showed a live animal they had caught and pulled up;

They didn't catch it, it was in the wild. They lowered bait in an area near Japan where it was theorized that giant squids lived in order to get one on camera and determine how they hunt prey. In the process, they accidentally hooked one of the squids tentacles which then got ripped off the squid who swam away. This was about 5 or 6 years ago.
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Oops, it wasn't discovery channel it was animal planet. That's from 2005 and did not involve a captured giant squid.

Showing 1-15 of 26