ForumsThe TavernIs music more about your "Group" now?

35 8365
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

(Not sure if this is Popular Media or not. Move it if you need to.)

Note: All italics are thinking.

So, while listening to some music a friend (More of an acquaintance but still...) came over and asked what I was listening to. I was listening to some Pink Floyd song (Forgot the name :/). After telling him the name he had this weird look on his face that I just couldn't place. After a small awkward pause he said, "OH! That's the band my Dad likes. Why are you with us? The people that like music are over there dude. "

Wait, because I listen to this music it means that I can't talk to you. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that my music taste has such an affect on my personality.

So, what do you think? After this conversation I spent a week just looking at different groups of people and comparing their musical taste. To my surprise, nearly everyone in a certain group liked the same style of music.

So, do you think music is more about an image that is supposed to represent you more than it is about what you actually like listening to?

Oh, the stoners listen to classic rock, the "Popular" kids are into electronic and the emos are all about metal. Which one are you?

Wait, but I listen to all of those genres!

YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE!

Anyway, just needed to vent and thought it would be a nice topic. Why do people care so much about music taste?

• 35 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I'm into orchestral, which isn't as groupable as the rest.
I don't think it has anything to do with music affecting your style, it's the other way around. People hang out with others like them, music is a factor.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

...the "Popular" kids are into electronic...

What!? Electronic has become this popular, I remember that the popular kids either listened to pop music (makes sense) or rap. There's even an older Eminem song, Without Me, where the he states,
You don't know me, you're too old let go its over, nobody listens to techno.

Which is ironic because a lot of new rap music now has a very electronic/techno feel (As it seems to me) and I believe that rap and techno both share their roots in disco.

I want to say that music is one aspect of what defines who you are. Other lifestyle choices such as; foods you like, movies, television, clothing styles, habits, etc. also help to define you. Taken separately they may seem insignificant, but as a whole they really can tell you something about a person.

In conclusion, some people will listen to a certain genre of music because they happen to just like that genre and in a small part this habit helps define who they are. Other people will see that they can fit in better with a certain group by listening to a certain type of music and will thus change their musical preference accordingly.

I've come across this in my school work, it's something like conforming to group norms.
Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

I think music depicts one person in general not a group. for example me and my cousin are in the same group of friends and all of our friends as well as the both of us listen to completely different types of music. I listen to all gerunds, or at least I try, my cousin mostly to rap and rock, etc.

so the type of music defines you not the group. your friend/acquaintance is dead wrong.

Showing 31-33 of 35