ForumsThe TavernHow many times can one fall in deep and true love? Have you ever?

29 9425
redfan45
redfan45
197 posts
Nomad

This is a thought and question that has been in my head lately and I'd like to hear what other's opinions are on this.
How many times do you think one can be in deep true love? Only once? More?
If we somehow lose a person who is the first you've ever been deeply truly in love with, will you ever experience and have that again with another person? Or will every love and relationship after that just be so insignificant compared to that deep love you felt with a "true love"?
Have you ever fallen in deep love, and lost it? And never gained love like that again? Or have you found another just as great or better?

• 29 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Hmmm... Very interesting question. (Glad to see someone is actually thinking.)

I've yet to fall deeply in love, so I cannot answer the question from experience. I do think however, that we have the ability to truly love more then one person in our lifetime.

redfan45
redfan45
197 posts
Nomad

When you fall in deep love. you'll know it. It's a certain for sure feeling.

I am currently deeply in love and I know it's true. But sadly circumstances don't allow us to be together anymore than just texting and using Facetime. And no she isn't some online girl, we lived in the same town last year. And it was the best time of my life, and we have loved each other for more than a year now and remained faithful and haven't dated anyone else. But I turned 18 last year and she is still a "child" in the eyes of the law and her abusive parents.
But I have this sick feeling that it wont last if we can't see each other.
So if we do have to leave each other, I certainly hope there are more than one deep love in our lifetime. Especially for her sake.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Yes I believe there is such a thing as "true love"..saying as how I've been in such a situation twice. You can imagine that hell it can put you through

But I turned 18 last year and she is still a "child" in the eyes of the law and her abusive parents.

You do realize there are exceptions..right?
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I can't say that I know whether or not I've truly been in love. I thought I was once, but.... details on page 186 of the General Relationship Thread.

However, I do believe that there is no limit to how many people you can fall deeply and truly in love with. There are so many people in this world that it would be ludicrous to say that only one of them is right for you.

But I turned 18 last year and she is still a "child" in the eyes of the law and her abusive parents.

If you and she are within a year of each other in age, it's only a misdemeanor.

Also keep in mind that the law isn't always watching. I'm not encouraging lewd behavior, but being in a relationship with someone who is still legally not an adult isn't going to automatically land you in the state penitentiary.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Adding a bit to what Terry is saying..being in a relationship is fine (within the correct perimeters)..certain acts are what the issue/law are involving

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I am currently deeply in love and I know it's true... But I have this sick feeling that it wont last if we can't see each other.

May be you'll want to re-evaluate your original statement on this bro.
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Well, I'm going to answer the main questions.

1) Never been in love. There was this kid I had a crush on in 6-7th grade, but in 8th he showed his true colors as a flying butthole. So no. I mean, a guy liked me at one point, but it was kind of awkward since I didn't know him at all.
2) I think people can fall in love as many times as they need to. It's not like there's a limit (but I can't really say).
3) As a person who thoroughly not interested in people other than friends, I can say that I have found no use for love in my life except as a possible manipulator (I won't do that, I'm not evil, but it happens all the time), something annoying, or something to annoy people with until they want to gouge the annoyer's eyes out and hang them on a pole.
4) And, lastly, as kind of a random not-really-related thingy, two of my friends are dating, and I don't mind. Ish. I'm happy for them, I guess, but isn't there a point in time at which they will stop making out every spare second? It was fine in the beginning, but it's been monthes already and it makes me and some othe friends into third-and-fourth-and-fifth-and-sixth-and-seventh wheels. We'll just be talking with eachother, and then their faces are hugging and the rest of my friends are standing there like 0_o. As a perosn relatively inexpierienced with this love thing, I ask you all; is this normal? How do I make them stop without throwing things at them? I need to know before I barf on them, thanks. :P

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I once experienced love. Had a girlfriend. She moved. Haven't seen her since. Suddenly forgets her name.

I keep hearing ever since last year that a girl is crushing on me. I still don't know who she is. And I think my R2 charm is effecting some of the girls in my school.

is this normal? How do I make them stop without throwing things at them? I need to know before I barf on them, thanks. :P

Its normal yes. Just let things go their natural course. One day you'll get used to it. Or get yourself a boyfriend and make out with him in front of your friend. Give her a taste of her own medicine.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Sooo, to quote you: "I am currently deeply in love and I know it's true."

But then later on in your post, you said (and I quote "But I have this sick feeling that it wont last if we can't see each other."

Don't those two statements kind of contradict each other? I believe true love (well, only part of true love) is waiting. Your love isn't really deep if you're scared it wont stand the test of time.

Are you interpreting her parents as abusive since they wont let her go out with you? (I'm not being mean, just simply asking a question to clarify.)

So if we do have to leave each other, I certainly hope there are more than one deep love in our lifetime.

Don't worry about that. Like they say: "Women are like streetcars. Miss one, another will come along."

And I think my R2 charm is effecting some of the girls in my school.

My Xeano charm is really effective. I can count how many girls have crushes on me.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I was in love once. That's all I'll say about it for the time being.

I don't think true love prevents you from experiencing it multiple times because of an intrinsic quality. But I don't know what true love is. Not anymore. I've forgotten now. I knew once. I remember that it was beautiful and sweet and tragic all at the same time. Perhaps love is meaning created through the harmony of opposites. I really can't remember. But I remember that I used to know. One day, it all just fell together like so many wispy strands of delicate ineffabilities, then I drifted off into the dawn.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

One will always outshine the others. For me, so far there have been at least 4 girls that I would've claimed unconditional love towards. However, reflecting on my actions, I realized that my love was always trumped by reason or rationality, and thus was conditional on some level. I can't win like that, for love isn't reasonable.

but being in a relationship with someone who is still legally not an adult isn't going to automatically land you in the state penitentiary.

According to Moonshiners: "Ain't nuttin' illegal 'nless you get cought."

There are so many people in this world that it would be ludicrous to say that only one of them is right for you.

Being "one in a million" means there's 7000 others just like you.

Your love isn't really deep if you're scared it wont stand the test of time.

His side of it might last forever, but if she's indoctrinated into thinking he's a predator, she might back away.

"Women are like streetcars. Miss one, another will come along."

Yeah, but some are Ferraris and some are rusted stationwagons. The trick is finding a good one that'll stop for you. Sometimes that involves running into the street and hoping they brake.
redfan45
redfan45
197 posts
Nomad

Are you interpreting her parents as abusive since they wont let her go out with you?

No, not that. Obviously I wont delve into her personal life to people online, but her parents are very verbally abusive and when drunk can by physically, and the problem with my age and hers is that her parents hate me and will take any opportunity to **** my life up and their daughter's life.

Yeah, but some are Ferraris and some are rusted stationwagons

I'd have to agree with that.
PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

The number all depends on the formula of how many times you need to look for it and how often you are not looking. So to sum up 1 to a lot!

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

No, not that. Obviously I wont delve into her personal life to people online, but her parents are very verbally abusive and when drunk can by physically,

Of course don't reveal her whole life online. This is probably a dumb suggestion, but if you feel she is really being abused (not only verbally, but physically), you should really tell the proper authorities (E.G. the police.)

Yeah, but some are Ferraris and some are rusted stationwagons. The trick is finding a good one that'll stop for you. Sometimes that involves running into the street and hoping they brake.

That is a good way to put it. I couldn't have said it any better.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

That is a good way to put it. I couldn't have said it any better.

I was overtired to the point of high when I wrote that. I'm so dang poetic when I'm otherwise unable to think.

you should really tell the proper authorities (E.G. the police.)

But if she loves her parents, then he's the **** that broke the family. I'd ask in passing if she wants help, like if she's too scared to do something herself.
Showing 1-15 of 29