ForumsGamesPlay Station 4

8 2478
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

I've had a PS3 for 2 years and now there is going to be a PS4. What do you think of the Play Station 4? I always have mixed feelings when a new console comes out. I like the new console, but by the time I save up enough money for it, a new console comes out a little bit after I get the old console.

• 8 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

At this point I think it'd be better to switch over to PC gaming. I've heard that the PS4 (and perhaps the next Xbox) won't be able to play PS3 / Xbox 360 games and used games are out the window, and I can imagine the price for those consoles being insanely high when they come out. Wasn't the PS3 ~$700 when it released?

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

used games are out the window

Sony has already said that's not true.

Wasn't the PS3 ~$700 when it released?

It was actually up to 600$ depending on storage capacity. I'd bet the PS4 will be lower than that though.
And keep in mind assembling a gaming PC with the same power as a next-gen console may well be more expensive than the console itself.

At this point I think it'd be better to switch over to PC gaming.

A high-end gaming PC is ultimately the best platform you can possibly get, in the grand scheme of things, but does it have to be a switch? You can have a PC and a console, if you're into console exclusives or the various non-game features of a console. But it's ultimately your preferences and your assessment to make.

Hell, maybe PC gaming ends up being cheaper if you're into pirating games. I'm not, myself.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

but does it have to be a switch?

Probably considering financial status. Currently I've invested a lot of money into my PS3 and I have a laptop that doesn't play games well. If I ever save up ~1k for gaming I'll get a PC that performs well (I don't need one that has the best of everything, just good enough to get the job done).

I browse steam often and they seem to always have great sales for games, so in the long run I think it'd be a better investment. You may have to update your PC every few years to keep performance up, but I think that'd be cheaper than getting a new console every few years. They'll eventually stop making new games for the PS3, but on a PC you'll always have new games.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry, but PC gaming sucks for me... Why? Specifications, Anti-Pirate ****ty systems and stuff...
PC gaming is the highest form of gaming. It has the most extensive game library by far. You choose the specs and aren't limited to whatever the console company puts in the box. Anti-piracy software is a thing in consoles too unless you pirate games, which newsflash, you can also do on the PC.

Consoles were designed for gaming from the beginning...
Who's preventing you from making a gaming PC?

That's my opinion ^^
Your opinion is half-baked and misinformed. Get another one.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Hell, maybe PC gaming ends up being cheaper if you're into pirating games. I'm not, myself.

You don't need to pirate to even still get the benefits of cheaper games. I guess it depends on what your interested in but there are plenty of deals online. Steam always has a deal of the day and some deal. Hell I preordered borderlands 2 for 54 bucks just because I had borderlands 1 and its still 60 bucks. Which preordering it gave me the mecromancer dlc which was another 5 bucks or whatever. And the other day I saw 10 games on GOG going for 20 bucks. Yeah I didnt like the games that much but they have other deals. I guess it just depends on how long you are willing to wait.

Skyrim only cost me 30 dollars on steam.
My computer is basically a budget build and probably cant run everything.
But I can run Skyrim on high and Borderlands 2 on the max and thats all I need.
Lets see
Ive got 2 gbs of ram: about 20-40 bucks depending where you buy
My graphics card was $70 Nvida 9800 GT 1 gb vram
Monitor I got from the DI for 10 bucks
Keyboard: 20 bucks
Mouse mine is the Logitech M510 so about 30 bucks
Netgear N600 Usb wireless internet adapter 45 bucks
Ive got a dual core 1.87 cpu over clocked to about 2.9 ghz about 70 bucks for a normal CPU at that rating dual core
My psu is maybe 500 watts so id say about 60 bucks
My motherboard isnt really great maybe 60 bucks
I have 2 optical drives at 15 dollars a piece so 30
Case is pretty much free maybe 5 bucks
So yeah about 500 when you factor everything in and get the best deal. Which my computer is pretty low tech. A better system will probably cost 700.
But a computer can be used for tons of things and in the long run saves more money than having 2 things. and seeing how my computer was built for XP and had the motherboard and graphics changed out then I would have to say that it outlasts any console.
skunk940
skunk940
21 posts
Peasant

Wasn't the PS3 ~$700 when it released? It was actually up to 600$ depending on storage capacity. I'd bet the PS4 will be lower than that though

Playstation have already reveled estimate costs on release. It's going to be alot lower then the PS3 release cost.

I always have mixed feelings when a new console comes out

Same here. But for games to get better the console has to get better.

but does it have to be a switch?

Well if it doesn't update then playstation will go out of business. After all sooner or later everyone who wants one will have one. Releasing a new one refreshes the market as so to speak.

I've heard that the PS4 (and perhaps the next Xbox) won't be able to play PS3 / Xbox 360 games

If you kept the ability to play old games costs and size of the console would go up alot.

[/quote]At this point I think it'd be better to switch over to PC gaming[quote]

Consules will always be better for games. Thats the facts and i can't see it changing for a long long time to come!
skunk940
skunk940
21 posts
Peasant

Quote for the last one there is messed up. Should be:

At this point I think it'd be better to switch over to PC gaming

Consules will always be better for games. Thats the facts and i can't see it changing for a long long time to come!
Showing 1-7 of 8