ForumsWEPRMarriage equality

152 54932
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

I'd like to hear everyones opinions about equal marriage right between gay and straight people.

• 152 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Since the other thread is all the way back on page 4 or 5, I'll allow this thread. It's nice to get a fresh start on old topics sometimes.

I'm perfectly fine with marriage equality for homosexuals. I have no problem with it at all.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Marriage between a gay and straight person would be a sight to see! It's been a while since I heard of couples who only have the commitment and mutual sides of Love. As for homosexual couples, I support the support of it completely!

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Read here

This is a completely different topic from that of the other thread; a question of freedom and legality instead of right or wrong.

I'm totally fine with legalizing equality.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

This is a completely different topic from that of the other thread; a question of freedom and legality instead of right or wrong.

I'm totally fine with legalizing equality.

But in the grand scheme of it all...for this subject at least..doesn't it end up being the same outcome? Arguing for why it is "good"/"right" end up being along the same general path as the arguments for it being legal. Same with people's reasons for being against it
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Arguing for why it is "good"/"right" end up being along the same general path as the arguments for it being legal. Same with people's reasons for being against it

Not quite. Many are ok with gays being gays, but not with them being married and adopting children. Although the arguments are similar, like it not being "normal" or not being the "correct" environment for children and all that humbug.

Kids adopted by gay parents grow up perfectly normally. So I see no reason against it.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Arguing for why it is "good"/"right" end up being along the same general path as the arguments for it being legal. Same with people's reasons for being against it

Nope, it dodges most of that. People who are gay may already live together and do stuff privately, so a person's feelings/beliefs about how "strange" or "unnatural" it is are irrelevant to the right of a legal bond. It also skips right over the "they can't make kids" argument because that has nothng to do with marriage.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Although the arguments are similar, like it not being "normal" or not being the "correct" environment for children and all that humbug.

Ah..ok. I think therein lies where my confusion came from

so a person's feelings/beliefs about how "strange" or "unnatural" it is are irrelevant to the right of a legal bond

That doesn't seem to stop some of them though *sigh*

It also skips right over the "they can't make kids" argument because that has nothng to do with marriage.

Same with my previous statement..it may not have anything to do with marriage..but they find a way to make it have everything to do with marriage
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

That doesn't seem to stop some of them though *sigh*

They can express their views on that sort of thing, but that's not an argument against marriage. If that's their argument, it's for the other thread, not here. It's no different than if someone starts rambling scripture in a science thread.

but they find a way to make it have everything to do with marriage

And then they immediately get slapped with the elderly/infertile/platonic who want to get married. It's asinine.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

They can express their views on that sort of thing, but that's not an argument against marriage. If that's their argument, it's for the other thread, not here. It's no different than if someone starts rambling scripture in a science thread.

From personal experience..they seem to find it a pretty valid argument against marriage. I just don't get it
(how they think it is a valid argument against marriage..in case anyone decided to read my "I just don't get it" in the wrong context)

And then they immediately get slapped with the elderly/infertile/platonic who want to get married. It's asinine.

yay story time

So..I was in a debate with this random person on a different site..and it was, of course, over homosexual marriage. He stated he was against it..in which one of his reasons was because they could not produce children, which is what marriage is designed for. I brought up the counter-argument of the elderly/infertile/etc (among others)..and his response was (I'm paraphrasing..but pretty close to what he actually said)
[i]I'm fine with the elderly and infertile being able to marry, because they are apart of the population of which is the heterosexual population. They are such a small population of that group, that allowing them to marry doesn't have any significant effects"

Oh yeah..and he denied the idea of the elderly and infertile being in a separate group..he insisted vehemently that they are apart of the heterosexual population, and because they are so they should be able to bask in the glory of it.

Also..he brought up an argument stating that allowing homosexuals to marry would increase the costs of marriage benefit related items (I believe. I could be very wrong on this..but essentially, something would increase in cost if homosexuals were allowed to marry, causing too much of a burden on the heterosexual population that would have to pay for it as apart of taxes.)
In other words..cheaper goods are more important than human equality
wontgetmycatnip
wontgetmycatnip
95 posts
Peasant

I say we should inflict marriage on gay people.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Marriage between a gay and straight person would be a sight to see!

happens more often then you might think

some homosexuals live a life of a straight person because they are afraid to come out of the closet.
including marriage whit a straight person and even getting children whit them.

give it 3 pages or 1 guy going against it. and we are on the same debate =P
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I really don't see any difference between Straight or Gay people. I personally don't think they need any special rights just for them.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

..they seem to find it a pretty valid argument against marriage.

Of course they do. And nuts think scripture is a pretty valid argument against science. Doesn't mean it is.

They are such a small population of that group, that allowing them to marry doesn't have any significant effects

If marriage is designed for children, they're doing it wrong.

causing too much of a burden on the heterosexual population that would have to pay for it as apart of taxes

That means he's against marriage, at least the monetary benefits, not just gay marriage. I would've likely spun it to "colored people causing too much of a burden on the white population that would have to pay for it as a part of taxes", but he might agree with that.
TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
222 posts
Blacksmith

give it 3 pages or 1 guy going against it. and we are on the same debate =P

Oh well. I guess I'm the one going against it.

Here's the deal with me: for people who don't believe in the Bible, and who don't think there is a God, or at least not the Christians God, there is nothing wrong with homosexuals getting married to the same gender.

There is no way for me to convince any non-Christian that it's wrong without first getting them to believe that the Bible is true and right and that God's laws should be obeyed, which wouldn't be an easy task.

But if this debate continues, I may be able get y'all thinking about it.

For anyone who claims to be Christian, but still supports homosexual marriage, I have to tell you, that goes against the Bible. Here's my speech for anyone who claims to be Christian in any way and still supports it:

God created man and woman. There's a reason He didn't create man and
man, or woman and woman. He says "One man shall marry one woman", not
"One man shall marry one man". In the book of Leviticus, he says that
both people practicing homosexuality would be immediately stoned.

God made marriage, and also uses it as an example for how Christ loves
the Church, and how the Church should love Christ. When someone messes
with that design, they are disobeying God.

So how could anyone claim to be a Christian and still support this?
Well, that's what I have to say, even though I'm not sure there are any Christian gay supporters reading this.
Showing 1-15 of 152