Forums

ForumsVideo Games

Poor Observation vs Game Clones

Posted May 16, '13 at 8:37pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,263 posts

No, you really couldn't. It's no more a Zelda clone than many other action-adventure games.

But it is an adventure game, and LoZ is an adventure game, it just screams rip-off (/sarcasm)

But what a lot of clones do is merely repeat the clichés adding only very superficial differences in setting and gameplay but leaving all the core elements and tone untouched.

So, call of duty.

I don't know about rip-offs, but PB2 does not deserve to be mentioned. It does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Raze 2, that game is so messed up it isn't funny.

Now, on topic, although a rip-off may feel like you are screwing someone else over, you need to be able to tell the difference between a game that rips-off, and a game that draws inspiration from.

(For example, for the final project in my Gaming class we needed to design and sell a game. I took inspiration from LoZ and created a fantasy RPG, and then I added in RTS elements and different upgrades (you have allies to upgrade). Meanwhile, a classmate RIPPED-OFF OoT (items to collect, big evil boss, advising spirits (forest Sage Saria in OoT, Vine Spirit in his), an underwater temple that requires you to have something to breath underwater with, people who are at home near water, castle town . . .)

Okay, I did have gorons (gorgoncoes), and gerudos (I forget what I named them), and an evil king, and all sorts of similarities, but I also included many differences.

If you want to know more, let me know and I will try to send you the information.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted May 17, '13 at 7:44am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht

this is a dutch motto which roughly means in english: "It is better to steal something good then to invent something bad". ;)

Posted May 17, '13 at 7:50am

EndlessMarrow

EndlessMarrow

60 posts

@Party Devil

Well for some indie games that can be said and done, However other indie games actually make up their own game mechanics and plot. An Example of this will be Milkstone Studios's Horror game called White Noise which was the first horror game to be put on Xbox live even though people accused it of being a clone to slenderman.

Posted May 17, '13 at 8:26am

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

White Noise is a pretty shameless ripoff, and if you give it your money you're part of the problem. Doesn't matter than it's "the first game on XBox Live", it's still reprehensible, unartistic and plain unethical.

Posted May 17, '13 at 8:44am

EndlessMarrow

EndlessMarrow

60 posts

@ihsahn
Its not a rip-off and if it was a rip-off then Microsoft would of have their game removed off Xbox live so I'm guessing that you are assuming then actually playing the game or pointing out the differences within the game.

Posted May 17, '13 at 10:40am

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Its not a rip-off and if it was a rip-off then Microsoft would of have their game removed off Xbox live so I'm guessing that you are assuming then actually playing the game or pointing out the differences within the game.

It. Is. A. Rip-off. It couldn't more clearly be one.

The fact you don't see it forces me turn the question right back at you. Have you played both games? Run around a forest collecting 8 items while being chased by an undefeatable scary thing? They have the gameplay copied down to fine details like having to manage your flashlight, the park setting and the static visual effect when the guy is close.

Evidently it's not illegal to rip a game off so thoroughly, but that may be because Slender was freeware. But it doesn't make it any less cynical and unethical to sell someone else's game so blatantly copied.

Posted May 17, '13 at 10:50am

EndlessMarrow

EndlessMarrow

60 posts

White noise has 4 maps, 20 selectable characters with there own perks and has an actual story instead of just simply spawning you with no idea how you got there in the first place. If your going to keep assuming that white noise is a rip off then I'm just going to ignore you since you do not bother and I mean bother to actually do research on a game which you are failing miserably at so come back with some facts. By the way the monster is not Slenderman and it growls when it closes up.

Posted May 17, '13 at 11:03am

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

None of those differences is substantial. Like I said earlier in the thread:

what a lot of clones do is merely repeat the clichés adding only very superficial differences in setting and gameplay but leaving all the core elements and tone untouched.

White Noise adds very shallow elements of story, there's no core difference between the characters, gameplay is still very much the same as Slender, the maps are similar and don't change the objective.
The essence of the game is completely untouched.

I'm sorry bro, this is a rip-off. Putting different clothes on me doesn't make a different person, any more than putting a few extra options in Slender makes it a different game. At best they can be said to have made a more complete version of Slender, but it's still someone else's game.

Posted May 17, '13 at 11:07am

EndlessMarrow

EndlessMarrow

60 posts

Okay true, but I like it because it was the only horror game I could get on Xbox. I couldn't get Slenderman because I had no idea on how to install it. Literally I couldn't understand how to extract the file or even run it?

I got mad at you and I'm sorry I was being ignorant

Posted May 17, '13 at 12:17pm

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

just simply spawning you with no idea how you got there in the first place.

Im pretty sure that Slender the game is based off of some people that created horrific monsters and the marblehornets series. The game has a backstory somewhere, actually I think it is in the Readme.txt before you play the game. So its not all just madness.

And White Noise may have more content than Slender but really, it was just an excuse to get Slender on the Xbox because the Developer of Slender was taking his sweet ole time in making any updates.

Reply to Poor Observation vs Game Clones

You must be logged in to post a reply!