ForumsGamesXBox Reveal Thread

36 8895
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Figured I'd start a thread on this, because why the heck not. So Microsoft has, as of today, officially revealed the new XBox (complete with a ******* name rivalling the Wii U).

Here's a recording of the revealing conference.

Personally, I'll wait a bit for the internet to calm down, but what I'm seeing so far doesn't really make me especially hopeful for the future.

• 36 Replies
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

The biggest factor is that Consoles all have the same parts and they are usually high quality parts. If you have someone build you a computer or even if you build your own, your going to want to have high quality parts.
Well then just... make a quality computer. That's not really an issue or a point in the consoles' favor. In fact it's a disadvantage, because with consoles you can only do so well, whereas you can always customize a PC to be even better.

Consoles are just really simple and make things really easy.

Using a PC isn't rocket science or anything. Everyone does it all the time. Besides, consoles are getting packed with new features and services all the time, so they're not as straightforward as they once were.

And Windows 8 is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Is the Metro interface an attempt by Microsoft to force users to relearn to use their computers, as well as a laughable shoehorning of a tablet UI into a non-tablet setup? Sure.
But get a couple of addons and it's exactly the same Windows 7 desktop experience, only with the general system improvements Windows 8 brought. Besides, gamers will eventually have to upgrade because of future DirectX versions. But this is way in the future.
I'd go ahead and get Windows 8 if I was building a system from scratch, is what I'm saying.

Using controllers on a PC is also the easiest thing in the world. Even if I build a PC, I'll probably still get the XBox One controller, because the 360's controller is great and they seem like they fixed the D-pad in this next one.

As long as video games are made to run on consoles, this really doesn't matter that much.
I'm not sure what you mean. Developers optimize the PC and console releases of a game separately for each individual platform. PC games aren't somehow graphically capped to consoles' capabilities. You can always outdo console performance on a good enough PC.
Also, a lot of games aren't available on consoles at all. But the same can be said of PCs.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Windows 7 is still an option when buying computers, and there's always Linux.

Actually linux doesn't run most games so its actually not really an option for a gaming computer. And Windows 7 costs more than 8 at this point
I think windows 8 is a conspiracy to make more people want an xbox instead of a gaming PC

As long as video games are made to run on consoles, this really doesn't matter that much.

Console video games run slower and don't have the best graphics. Even modern Warfare 2 looks better on the PC compared to the Xbox

Using controllers on a PC is also the easiest thing in the world. Even if I build a PC, I'll probably still get the XBox One controller, because the 360's controller is great and they seem like they fixed the D-pad in this next one

I think its only wireless from what I see. And there are games that wont utilize a PS3 controller like CS:GO. I can see that this isn't really a problem I don't use a controller anyway for PC gaming just thought I'd bring it up for the sake of emulators. Which is actually quite complicated to get a PS3 controller to work on an emulator
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Actually linux doesn't run most games so its actually not really an option for a gaming computer.
Well you can always have Linux for your everyday usage and emulate Windows to run games. But it's a worse setup anyway IMO.

I think its only wireless from what I see
It is? That's kind of bad. But if it's like Bluetooth or something I could still get it to work with a PC, I think.

One thing I'm looking forward to is Valve's SteamBox. It's looking to be a sort of customizable console-esque rig made with pure gaming in mind. But I'm not that well-informed about it.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

One thing I'm looking forward to is Valve's SteamBox.

How many Valve Years is that supposed to take anyway.

Well you can always have Linux for your everyday usage and emulate Windows to run games. But it's a worse setup anyway IMO.

Way worse setup by the way and most the time it won't work or the resolution is horrible
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

I wasn't going to buy an Xbox One anyway.

PC, PS3 and PS4 for me for the forseeable future.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

I'll go primarily with PC and get whichever console has better exclusives a bit further down the line.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Depending on where i will be working here in a month or 2 will determine which way I will go. Because I already have 2 gaming PCs that can run any game on at least minimum and a lot of games on the maximum. But I think I want to try both the PS4 and the Xbox One. My friend said he is going with the PS4 when it comes out so I might get the Xbox One and trade him down the line if he ends up not liking the PS4.
The great thing about being a PC gamer though is that all my other friends have Xbox's so I figure they will be getting those so I will try them out

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

And miss out on three years of great games? I could build myself a respectable gaming PC right now that surpasses these consoles,

i said to wait a few year whit buying a console when they get released. i never said to give up gaming for a few year.

gj on the reading department =P

the new Xbox one is going to be way faster and run way better games than the Xbox 360

i hope so, it's almost 10 year ago the x360 was released. xD
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

i said to wait a few year whit buying a console when they get released. i never said to give up gaming for a few year.

gj on the reading department =P

No, you told me that in response to my saying "I'll get a PC". It was presented as an alternative.

Please don't call me a ****ing idiot.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

As long as you don't have any viruses then I think the PC is definitely the way to go

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

I think the ps4 sounds like it will be better the xbox one is nothing special IMO

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

I really don't see why, for games, you'd use an Xbox One. The tech and design of the device is very impressive, and I do like me some Netflix on my 360, but as a consumer, I put games above all other shiny features of a console. The used-game fee I keep hearing echo through the internets is the ultimate make-or-break deal.

-Chillz

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

The tech and design of the device is very impressive

Funny, I think the exact opposite. It's an unimpressive black box with disappointing, surpassable specs. In a couple years, building a PC that matches them will be easy as pie, and it's not hard to do it already.

The used games fee is not confirmed yet. I think it's gonna be something a little more complex than that and not as bad, from what we know.

What does irk me is non-optional, always-on Kinect.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Funny, I think the exact opposite. It's an unimpressive black box with disappointing

It looks like they took a Wii, cut it in half for the disc tray and then took half a PS3 squared off the edges then glued the 2 together
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

...So?

So it's annoying. Why install extra hardrives when, in reality, you have the game already installed on a disc? It's an unnecessary step. Plus it can get expensive if you use your console frequently and for a lot of things.

So you're saying it's a mix and match of two incredibly sucky consoles?

That's simply a matter of preference.

You're saying you don't have wireless internet?

Not everyone does, and it would be a pain to have to subscribe to an Internet provider to play your already owned games on a console you already own.
Showing 16-30 of 36