ForumsWEPRWhy does everyone seem to be against my views on life?

19 10175
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Absolutely everyone I know shares all of my beliefs, and I know a lot of people. Why are you guys so different?

• 19 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

People differ. You might know persons from a restricted (relatively speaking) circle sharing a lot of similar views, but on the interwebz, diversity of opinion takes a boost.
Additionally, those "debates" we had with you were not new to us, but apparently were to you. Which gives us some arguments and reflection advantage.

Then again, you did not behave very friendly, on the contrary, your behaviour was at times offending or even ridiculous, which does not help your case.

And I would see it as a good thing that people are different. Else it would be boring around here

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Absolutely everyone I know shares all of my beliefs, and I know a lot of people.

This is the case with extreme beliefs often. They proliferate in closed circles where outside opinions never shine. When what you're told is never questioned by anyone, it never goes away.

You're in the vast minority KnightDeclan. At the far end of the bellcurve. Very near the radicals who go bombing abortion clinics and the KKK or other hate groups.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The reason many here are against your views is because many of those views are either unsupported by the facts are go against the facts.

(Sorry for not quoting, hard to do on a phone.)

From what you're saying here further suggests you've been for the most part sheltered from outside views. Most people actually would see your views as quite radical.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

the people you know probably had the same kind of life as you have.(same place, same school, same church, etc, etc. making you all kinda the same.
and you all are never questioned about the believes that you have adopted from your parents. and if they are questioned then all of you say the same thing, agree whit each other and have a piece of cake.

while here, you find people not only from your own little community or region you live in. but here you find people that had a different life then you had. and thus have a different view of the world and life as you have. and it is imported for you to understand that these people are not by definition dumb or stupid because they have a different point of view. there is much to learn from people that are different then yourself.
people that stand on your toes are often people you can learn much from as they are showing you a different world then you have been looking at.
it can open your mind towards the rest of the world instead of sticking whit only those people that agree whit you. opening new ideas, new answers and new questions. but for that, you must be willing to take a step outside the comfort zone of your friends that no matter what will always agree whit you anyway.

infinight888
infinight888
37 posts
Peasant

It's also worth noting that in the case of religion, there are many atheists that will go to church every Sunday and pretend to be Christian in order to please their families. If you have a friend who changes the subject everytime you bring up religion or nods their head witha bored look on their face as if they agree with you, it's a good possibility that this person is secretly an atheist.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

It's also worth noting that in the case of religion, there are many atheists that will go to church every Sunday and pretend to be Christian in order to please their families. If you have a friend who changes the subject everytime you bring up religion or nods their head witha bored look on their face as if they agree with you, it's a good possibility that this person is secretly an atheist

Ahem..or an agnostic theist =p

-----

As to the topic...

You know..for others, there is a slimmer of hope for salvaging any sort of non-harsh feelings if you just open up your mind and cease having such an ignorant, bigoted, and stubborn mindset.

As for me..no such hope exists. I don't like you..at all.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Absolutely everyone I know shares all of my beliefs, and I know a lot of people. Why are you guys so different?

Why are you such a whiner? The World doesn't revolve around you!
You either accept the fact that people are different from each other and there's nothing wrong about that.
Accept it or STFU!
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Why are you such a whiner? The World doesn't revolve around you!
You either accept the fact that people are different from each other and there's nothing wrong about that.
Accept it or STFU!

There's been a lot of tension in this section for a while. Please show some restraint.

This goes for everyone.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

There's been a lot of tension in this section for a while. Please show some restraint.

I apologize for that, I'll just ignore him next time.
SonOfVader
SonOfVader
110 posts
Blacksmith

I think it was actually very good of you to start this thread. It shows that you've seen that your views seem to have caused strong reactions from the AG community; and that you're making an attempt to understand our views; which are apparently radically opposed to your own. Many people in your position would just lash out at the community or just abandon it altogether. Maybe you're more tolerant that you at first appeared
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I think it was actually very good of you to start this thread. It shows that you've seen that your views seem to have caused strong reactions from the AG community; and that you're making an attempt to understand our views; which are apparently radically opposed to your own. Many people in your position would just lash out at the community or just abandon it altogether. Maybe you're more tolerant that you at first appeared

He has demonstrated that he can change his views on a claim and has admitted to being wrong about things. This demonstrates a potential. Of course the more deeply rooted bs will be harder to let go of (if ever). This one reason why I'm not completely discounting his ability to expand. So long as he is open to taking in new information he stands a chance. Given the way he has acted and his statement here and elsewhere I have suspected that these views are largely from not being exposed to that information. I also find it quite a shame to see someone with such a warped view of reality, citing conspiracy theories and religion as truth.

It may be necessary to not only explain that his views are in error but how they are and provide as detailed evidence as we can demonstrating the reality of the subject. We will also have to keep in mind that he has likely not developed proper critical thinking skills to be able to discern good and bad information.

http://www.urban-yogi.co/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/TheTruthWillSetYouFreeButFirst.jpg
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Just a thought here, that is if KnightDeclan would like. We could use this thread to field each of his views one at a time in a more educational, less combative role.

Knight if you are watching you can start by posting a single view and work from there.

My suggestion would be the moon landing hoax idea of yours. That would be good one we could quite easily field with evidence to the contrary for you.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Good idea, Mage. You've got the reins on this one.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well let Knight pick which topic he wants to focus on.

I would suggest that we perhaps stay away from the religious views for now.

We could start with maybe one of these,
- Scientists just make stuff up.
- Moon Landing was a hoax.
- No human has ever been in space.
- Illuminati controls everything. (this one might be a bit harder to field given current views)
- Waters under the Earth. (skirting the border of a religious view, but could be handled without going there)
- Moon doesn't influence tides (related to above)

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, or we could just start with how to go about discerning the difference between good and bad information.

I suppose while we wait we could start chipping away at some of these suggested above. "Scientists make stuff up" and telling apart good and bad information might be the best place to start since that could play into why the other beliefs are being held.

And who knows, maybe it will be of help for some of the others with similar beliefs who are floating around out there.

Blkasp
Blkasp
1,308 posts
Nomad

Scientists just make stuff up.

I always believed that Scientists work through trialling with experiments, examining evidence to give a rock solid theory.

As I have grown up I have seen how as Science has moved away from explaining how the Universe works (e.g. Gravity) to how it began, theories have become shakier and shakier and "educated guesses" have become more and more prolific. For example, scientists do not know for certain what caused the Big Bang, despite many guesses and possible explanations, yet it is promoted as the most widely accepted theory. Can Physics explain what happend before the supposed "Big Bang" when physics only truly came into existance after the Big Bang? I don't think so.

Will we ever know for certain? I do not believe so. We can wait untill we die, and find out then for sure.

Do Scientists make stuff up? I should hope not, but it is inevitable that they must make hypothesis' to explain things for the time being untill they know things for certain, and it is only natural if their preconceived ideas creep in.

(BTW I am back from the grave... am I anonymous again yet?)
Showing 1-15 of 19