ForumsWEPRCan two people touch eachother?

40 11414
th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

This case is not completely mine, as I got the idea from another debate on the same topic, but I would still like to attempt to argue it myself. This is a challenge for me to attempt to argue something that at first seems ridiculous, but at second glance, makes some sense. This is a sequel to my Is Al Gore a Terrorist? topic when I attempted to argue that he was. The question: Is it physically possible to touch someone?

The scientific argument is that Humans are made up of atoms, atoms are made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons are + charged, Neutrons are neutral, and electrons are - charged. It is also a scientificcaly, accepted fact that like charges repel, and opposite charfes attract. As electrons are on the outermost layer, orbiting the nucleus wich contains protons and neutrons, when you "touch" someone you are not actually touching, because your electrons will repel one another.

Keep in mind this is not about wether you can "feel" someone, but wether you can TOUCH them.

• 40 Replies
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I just think it is a bit of a pointless argument. Clever people coming up with a clever argument for the sake of being clever. I mean if it offers no answers just more questions what is the point rele.

StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

I agree woody, this is pointless. Why do people care about 'touching'. It is a way of life, get over it.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

um.........ya i touch my gf every day u can get over it this is pointless

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

err ye and i took a dump anything else we didnt need to know about skater kid?

Midnightday
Midnightday
86 posts
Nomad

for the atoms part
of course you can physically touch someone else
just because your neutrons are repelling doesn't mean you can overcome that force
just like pushing two magnets with the same ends together
it's not like when you put your finger to someone their atoms move away
and besides not all atoms are positively and negatively, the compounds that our body is made up from could be just neutral, which is the case for most things.

Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

Seeing this topic, the theories, and explanation, an opinion of my own, although, metaphorical, and not quite so scientific is this:

As negatively charged atom repel each other, like two of the north or south poles of a magnet, crudely. If you bring the two closer, they repel, and move away. They impart the force of push. When someone &quotushes" something, the negatively charged particles repel, and move the object, if it is not imparting equal or more force. There is always a force of push in action, even when &quotulling".
In that sense, humans exert this force of push on eachother, as there is always force applied, however miniscule, e.g some one putting their hand however lightly on another's shoulder, gravity making the hand push down on the shoulder.
This also explains how humans, and many objects through out the don't touch one another, and are, in lack of anything better to say, stuck together, as they do not attract.

EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

Yes, two people can touch each other.

Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

**Sigh** Not many people get the scientific point of this thread, if they actually read through the first post...

Grey
Grey
281 posts
Nomad

I'm pretty sure that you can't technically 'Touch" anything at all.

IE: You're atoms and molecules are never touching other atoms and molecules.

What you're feeling is actually the atoms of whatever you're "touching" repulsing off your own at a molecular level.

I don't know if the atoms of your body actually ever "touch" each other, now that I think about it.

Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

Thank you Grey! Someone who actually knows what they're on about!

But, there are Negatively and Positively charged atoms, and with reason, and the mechanics of the good old Magnet you'll see.

Like, the north and south poles attract each other, so do Negatively and Positively charged atoms. But, as two north, or two south poles of a magnet repel, so do negatively charged atoms with other negatively charged atoms, and the same goes with positively charged atoms too.
But, there are also neutral atoms, which react with other atoms like a block of wood/paper/plastic, or other non-magnetic material would with a magnet.

Showing 31-40 of 40