ForumsGamesRetrogaming General Discussion

29 7164
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

Hey!
I don't think I have ever seen any sort of thread honoring the hobby of retro gaming, so I decided to make one. Here you can discuss your favorite games, perhaps tips and tricks, preferred console, etc.. If you are really interested in retrogaming, then check out my profile, which Is the homepage to the AGRGA ( a clan I started {Armor Games Retro Gaming Alliance})
What is Retrogaming? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrogaming]
Why should you be a retro gamer? [url=http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/3799/why-retro-games-rule]

I suppose I should start a topic question, then.
*ahem* Do you think that Retro games are, generally speaking, harder to play (and win) than in modern games?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_art.png

• 29 Replies
thfcJack
thfcJack
64 posts
Nomad

I've never played the originals, but I have ports of Rogue and Slash'em/Nethack on my iPod. Play those and you will agree, retro games are very difficult. There are some challenging modern games though. I say they're about even in my eyes.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Reto as in things like pac-man are deffinetly harder than games we play today, but games we play today were made to have a story. They are made to have a beginning and an ending, and not made to be played endlessly.

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

They are made to have a beginning and an ending, and not made to be played endlessly.

Yeah, some retro games do not have a storyline (like Pac-man).
However, I would say the majority of console games do. Usually, if it does not have a clear storyline, then the developers lacked the technology capable to do so. This is a common theme in arcade-based games.
Take some of the later retro games, like Bomberman 64, Legend of Zelda, Street Fighter, etc. do have vivid storylines, but most people tend to shy away from these games because of the graphics.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Street Fighter, etc. do have vivid storylines

I would disagree about the vividness of Street Fighter's storyline. Same with Tekken. It seems that the games were made fighting mechanics first, then storyline thrown in to give the player an extra sense of purpose and accomplishment other than button mashing.
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

It seems that the games were made fighting mechanics first, then storyline thrown in to give the player an extra sense of purpose and accomplishment other than button mashing.

Yeah I know what you mean. When I think of Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc. , I don't usually think of the story but the meat of the game- fighting hand-to-hand combat. Without that being a constant, games like Tekken would lose their essence.

I guess I could start a new topic....?

What is your favorite boss from any retro video game?
For me, this would be Queen Gohma, a.k.a., the giant spider boss inside the Great Deku Tree in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The boss wasn't particularly hard to beat, but when I was younger, exploring the Great Deku tree was awesome. I mean, where else could you fight creatures inside of a large, masculine tree?( Except in Golden Sun for the GBA) Then at the end you fight the poison that is killing the Great Deku Tree: The large spider thing.
Good times.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Guess I should answer the first question..

Do you think that Retro games are, generally speaking, harder to play (and win) than in modern games?

Generally speaking, eh? From what it seems..and this is me admitting that I haven't played most of either side..but newer games are geared towards, basically, holding a player's hand through the game. Take Uncharted series, for example. Beautiful games in regards to graphics, story, mechanics, etc...but the gameplay was just..disheartening. There were many times when there was unnecessary quick time events (some weren't even so..just &quotress X to open door", while the character was struggling with a door waiting for me to press x twice or so) that seems placed there just to give the player an extra sense of achievement.

Then, of course, we have games that are holding on to a strict linear gameplay. And I mean strict. With also those moments where instead of telling me once how to do something, or letting me find out on my own, it'll flash it in front of my face on what to do every chance it gets.

Older games had the beauty of either simplistic controls with difficult gameplay or use of a tutorial or control manual to drop any tidbits on what you may need to know.
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

Older games had the beauty of either simplistic controls with difficult gameplay or use of a tutorial or control manual to drop any tidbits on what you may need to know.

Right. Most of the retro games that I play don't have any explanation for what the controls to the game are- just the objective. If you have the pleasure of having a thick game manual, then you could consider yourself lucky. I find it hard to find such treasures now-a-days, however.

..and this is me admitting that I haven't played most of either side..

Well, so you do have a little experience in retro gaming.... what game console and games did you play?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Well, so you do have a little experience in retro gaming.... what game console and games did you play?

PS1 was my biggest grab. GB colour and Advanced...Gamecube...have some experience with SNES and N64.

Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh were my biggest plays for the gameboys. Zelda Windwaker for Gamecube, an F-zero game, some Sonic games

Mario Bros and A Link to the Past for SNES.

Smash Bros for N64.

There are plenty more..just can't remember them. Those are just the big names.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I think I completed 90% of all the NES and SNES games.
I love the entire Koei series (Three Kingdoms I, II, IV, Nobunaga 1,2, Genghis Khan, Bandit Kings of ancient China, Rise of the Phoenix, Uncharted Waters I,II).
Shingen the Ruler (NES), all the Metroids, Megaman, Bomberman, Wrecking Crew (I spent hours making levels with my friends).
I found a glitch in Wrecking Crew that allowed Mario to walk in the air.
Once Mario acquired the Magic Hammer, hold down button A and watch him float across the screen. xD

I had Ice Hockey tournaments in my house, spent nights playing Ikari Warrior, Commando, and Guerrilla War.
I even made an entire map of Willow on green metric paper, the whole thing covered my entire living room floor!
Played all the Ultima, Lufia and similar adventure games like Scheherazade, Times of Lore, Zelda of course. Faxanadu, Kid Icarus, etc,. so many games.

I still play Uncharted Waters New Horizon, The Knight of Lodis, Romance of the Three Kingdoms Wall of Fire, Elevator Action (old & new), Advance Wars 1,2, Shingen the Ruler, and Mario Kart 64 on my emulators!

So yeah, I'm a big time retro gamer.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I can't believe I forgot to mention Destiny of an Emperor, Dynasty Warrior (GBA), L'Empereur, Defender of the Crown, Lemmings, King Arthur's World, The Battle of Olympus,
Bionic Commando, all the Castlevania (Simon's Quests is my favorite), Double Dragon, Excite Bike, the Final Fantasy series, Gauntlet, the Goonies, Ice Climber, Joust, Metal Gear, POW, Pro Wrestling, Rampage, Rush n Attack, Rygar (spent too much time on this), Wizards and Warriors.
These are the ones I liked on NES, I still have to make a list of the SNES games.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Oh..while we are talking about Retro games.

I highly recommend Vizzed.com
Great site for retro games..no need to download an emulator

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

@ SSTG

So yeah, I'm a big time retro gamer.

Well, Im trying to create a brotherhood of AG users that share a love for retro gaming. If you are interested in joining, then please message me.
I play Nintendo 64 games, as well some Game Boy Color. I was going to buy a SNES, but I decided to expand my collection of N64 games... What do you think, should I buy a super Nintendo or just keep buying N64 games?
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

I highly recommend Vizzed.com
Great site for retro games..no need to download an emulator

That sounds like pretty gray-area legality to me. And you don't get the benefit of using XBMC to make a stylish front-end for your collection.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5UdMVYVYlmo/Thks5z30SYI/AAAAAAAAEYs/o6p7H9cedOA/s1152/screenshot002.jpg
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

That sounds like pretty gray-area legality to me.

I'm going to be blunt here, it is. Basically, the are operating through loopholes..but if anyone was to get in trouble it would be the owner, not any of us.
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

Well, it is legal.
The website states:

When you play these games, you're legally "renting" a digital copy of a physical game we really own

And looking at that picture that you posted, have you ever played any of the Golden Sun games? I played the original (or at least I remembered it being the original) for the Game Boy. I thought it was a pretty good rpg, but I ended up losing the game in Gulf Shores, Alabama when I was on vacation. Anyways, I never made it that far into the game, and I got stuck on fighting this stupid tree that talks.(He is the 'Tret Tree' and he is found in Kolima Forest)
Anyways Im just ranting. I don't think I could even use Vizzed because I really don't like downloading stuff to my computer- I would rather have a physical copy anyways to play it on the console it was intended for.
Showing 1-15 of 29