ForumsThe TavernNational Football League

87 22281
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

Fantasy Drafts are happening. OTA's ended, training camp is opening and free agents are wondering if they are going to get signed or not. This thread will be just like the career of an NFL player. It starts, it has a peak, which might not get very high or else it will go far, and it ends. All fans are optimistic about their teams and think they can make the Super Bowl, in reality only 2 teams will and only 1 will hoist the Lombardi trophy at the end of the night.

So AG who are your favorite teams, your favorite teams to make the playoffs and win the SB and who do you think will win the end of season awards, including the Most Voluble Player, handed out to one Lucky, Hard Working member of one of the 32 teams... Discussion starts now!

• 87 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

It was a rough game for Kap but those happen; they're unavoidable.

But it exposed his biggest weakness. If I were a defensive coordinator, I would definitely pay some close attention to that game.

Just as a team can gameplan on defense to stop him, the niners can gameplan on offense to work around it.

Kaepernick is inexperienced. A heavy passing game would have to constructed, but he couldn't handle it. That's not his style of play. It would be forcing him to play a different style. The read option is going out, and unless you have a good passing QB, you will go out too.

A team can't beat the niners consistently by keying on Kap because the niners have enough talent to work around it; especially since they have a tough, premier back in Frank Gore

Well, Gore is in the backfield the same as Kaepernick, so he wouldn't have a chance to get going either. And on top of that, they have only two receiving threats in Vernon Davis and Boldin. (Crabtree is out.) So I doubt if it would be extremely difficult for a defense to be tailored to cover most of these without seriously exposing any weakness.

Not to mention the fact that while the Chiefs may be 3-0, Alex Smith isn't necessarily lighting the world on fire. He reminds me a bit of Tommy Rees; he's solid, and a good QB, but when it's crunch time you can always count on him to make a crucial mistake.

He is good. Consistent, stays fairly cool in the pocket, makes good decisions... As for play in the clutch, take a look at this. (two years ago in the divisional playoffs.) Personally, I think in the long run he was the better investment. Don't be surprised if the Chiefs challenge the Broncos for control of the division.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

but he couldn't handle it.

You act as if a player signs up for a style of play before the season and is forced to follow a script while they're playing. It's not like there are instances in NFL history where a player went ham for a season then faded into obscurity because a defense "figured him out". Every Jeremy Lin-like situation you observe in professional sports is simply due to that player catching lightning in a bottle, and I think we can all agree that isn't the case for Kaep, even if he did play for Nevada.

Well, Gore is in the backfield the same as Kaepernick, so he wouldn't have a chance to get going either.

Stopping the run isn't nearly the same as stopping the QB, even if they are in the backfield together. Unless you're suggesting that the way to stop Kaep as a mobile quarterback is to just load the box? Because in that case, any QB in the league can pick apart one-on-one, no help defense if that's all he sees during a game. The Seahawks beat Kaep by playing solid defense in the back four, getting a strong rush up front, and preventing big plays. In that case, if a defensive coordinator were to use that as a sort of "blueprint" to beat Kaep or a mobile quarterback, then it would be rather easy to use a running back in a screen/draw strategy to counter that defense.

they have only two receiving threats in Vernon Davis and Boldin.

That's a premier TE and WR. Team's don't normally look or ask for more than that. You don't have to have three Calvin Johnsons on your team to be considered having a good receiving corps. And further, in regards to coverage used against them, it's not like they're the only two bodies the niners will be trotting out there for plays. Good receivers don't just make plays, they get others open.

I'm not in any way defending Kaep though; I'm not a niners fan, and they got creamed again today anyway. But this is the NFL, not college. No week will be Ohio against FAMU, and it's hard trying to stop an explosive, creative player coached by the best.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Unless you're suggesting that the way to stop Kaep as a mobile quarterback is to just load the box?

Heck no. That would be stupid. My point was more of the fact that, if the defense on a particular play were keyed to watch Kaep, then seeing that Gore had the ball, it would be fairly easy to stop him with minimal gain for the most part, since they are already watching the backfield.

You act as if a player signs up for a style of play before the season and is forced to follow a script while they're playing.

Every player has a style of play that is suited to him particularly. For example, you cannot take Kaepernick and make him play like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. These are two different styles, and if the defense were to force him to pass only, you could see some mistakes occurring.

if a defensive coordinator were to use that as a sort of "blueprint" to beat Kaep or a mobile quarterback, then it would be rather easy to use a running back in a screen/draw strategy to counter that defense.

That's not my point. Using such a defense in pass-only situations (E.G. 3rd and long) would cut the available options down considerably. The defense would however, need fast CBs and Safeties to cut down on receiving options, while allowing for say a linebacker or two to spy the QB while the line is pressing. I would say such a gameplan would be effective. On normal downs, you play normal 4-3, dime, nickel, but tell your guys to make sure that the mobile QBs don't have that run option. It's possible IMO. You just couldn't call it all game, that would be stupid. Take a look at these highlights from today. Seems the Colts ran something close to my defensive scheme. (I just need to draw up some plays.) You can clearly see Kaep does not operate under pressure when he cannot run. He was a flash last year, and (I'm calling this early I know) the niners' are going downhill this year. Seahawks get the division, and the Rams-Cardinals are out for the wildcard.

That's a premier TE and WR. Team's don't normally look or ask for more than that.

You're forgetting, Boldin is getting older. He gets tired quicker, he has a harder time beating those fast corners, his reaction time is lowered, and on top of that, he isn't able to consistently make big plays over and over.

s not like they're the only two bodies the niners will be trotting out there for plays.

No, but it makes it difficult on 3rd downs when your go-to guy is covered, and you have to go to the less reliable options. Saw quite a few dropped passes the past couple weeks. Losing Crabtree is killing them, mostly because then went from having multiple threats, which makes it harder for defense to heavily cover them all, to having only two. It's taking its toll, no joke.

it's hard trying to stop an explosive, creative player coached by the best.

Colts did a great job today, and they only have a mediocre defense.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

it would be fairly easy to stop him with minimal gain for the most part, since they are already watching the backfield.

I understand what you mean, but my point about changing your scheme sort of applies here; having a "Let's just watch the backfield and defend who comes out" on defense makes you susceptible to the play action pass. I understand that that's an example tailored to my point, but it's still a defense that can be countered.

you cannot take Kaepernick and make him play like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady

I agree but like I said Kaepernick is playing in the NFL for a reason. In theory, a defense that dedicates themselves to stopping him as a mobile quarterback will be susceptible to the pass. Not to mention the fact that a player is always capable of changing their style of playing, especially when they're playing at the highest level. Michael Vick, for example, has been able to increase his passing efficiency since joining the Eagles; and while he is a turnover machine it has gone a long way towards making him a threat through the air as well as on the ground.

linebacker or two to spy the QB while the line is pressing.

That's a good assessment of a defense built to stop a mobile QB, but I have to throw in that a single roaming LB can't stop a truly fast QB running off tackle; and having two is just impractical and hurts the coverage game.

You're forgetting, Boldin is getting older. He gets tired quicker, he has a harder time beating those fast corners, his reaction time is lowered, and on top of that, he isn't able to consistently make big plays over and over.

I think this part of the discussion is sort of a moot point in context to the topic. Different teams have different taste in WR, and really unless your corps are either horrible or elite it doesn't do much to affect the output of a mobile quarterback.

Colts did a great job today, and they only have a mediocre defense.

Yes the niners are doing a fantastic job of invalidating me. Kaep right now's got more interceptions than touchdowns, but he's on pace for over 600 yards rushing for the year. They have a soft schedule in front of them though; the Saints are really the only team better than the Hawks and the Colts they still have to play. Building a consistent offense is all about adjustment, like I said, so this will be the time for Harbaugh to figure things out and get Kaep's confidence back.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

He was a flash last year, and (I'm calling this early I know) the niners' are going downhill this year.

Well the only way they could improve from last year is winning the Super Bowl...so that is a pretty easy call to make.

I think that the 49ers are still a good team. They had a tough game against the Colts, every team has games that are bad for them.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

"Let's just watch the backfield and defend who comes out" on defense makes you susceptible to the play action pass.

If you know what you're doing, the play action shouldn't bother you.

I agree but like I said Kaepernick is playing in the NFL for a reason. In theory, a defense that dedicates themselves to stopping him as a mobile quarterback will be susceptible to the pass.

Not necessarily, I've been working on a scheme the past few nights, I might post it if I can fine tune it.

Yes the niners are doing a fantastic job of invalidating me. Kaep right now's got more interceptions than touchdowns, but he's on pace for over 600 yards rushing for the year.

Get ready. He is either going to get hurt, or he is just not going to execute.
gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

I think that the 49ers are still a good team. They just had a tough game against the Colts.

Yea, and against the Seahawks and Packers and.......*Checks super Bowl score*.....Ravens.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

Anxious to see how my Rams do against the niners tonight. A win, sans our conversation this week, could go far in bolstering our playoff hopes.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Yea, and against the Seahawks and Packers and.......*Checks super Bowl score*.....Ravens.

Every team you mentioned made it to the playoffs last year. So they lost to a few of the best teams, so what?
superbobdabest
superbobdabest
305 posts
Nomad

What do you guys think is the biggest shocker this year. Lions being able to win games with the defense, the KC Chiefs flipping their season around, the Jets doing decent with Smith, the Falcons heading for rock bottom, or the Giants being 6-0.

I gotta go with Alex Smith fixing that broken Chiefs team along with Andy Reid fixing up that defense.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

the Giants being 6-0

You mean 0-6. I couldn't be happier. All those idiots... "G-men baby!"

Those chiefs are the shocker of the year. They were 2-14 last year, and now... And NOW they are 6-0... Only in America!
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

I'd just like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread. This is the most succesful thread I have ever started and I am leaving AG so thank you everyone.

Just to keep it relevant.... GO Cardinals I hope we lose out and get a good draft pick because the upcoming draft is loaded.

Showing 76-87 of 87