ForumsWEPRSoccer in the USA vs the world

36 6269
kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

Why isnt soccer as big as it is in England, Spain, or Germany??? Why, becasue we have football which more people like than soccer. I hear people say that soccer is to slow, and not entertaining, but I just say you should've watched the Germany Turkey game. That was goal filled, and hitting action.

If you have any reasons why you dont like soccer, or you think soccer should be publicized like me, say so.

• 36 Replies
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@TotalReview

1. Modern Soccer/Football developed in the 1880's. By this time, America was not a baby nation. It was a strong country and a sleeping giant.

2. Most modern sports developed around the 1880's. So if I asked why other nations don't play baseball or basketball, your argument doesn't hold up.

3. There is no correlation between new nations and whether soccer/football is popular. The two "newest" nations are Montenegro and Kosovo, yet their most popular sport is soccer.

4. Don't call our arguments "horrible." This is an opinion question.

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

personally i think its because of how the average american is.. possibly fat and lazy.. no one really likes watching something that physically exhausting that reminds them of how fat they are. in football it is good to be big (fat/muscled) in baseball they stand around A LOT.. but soccer they are mostly skinny or slim and they run almost the entire time.. plus the coaches cant really argue with the officials.. something american sports do ALL the time.. how many times do you see a basketball coach yell at the official, or a baseball coach screaming at an ump, or a football coach challenge a play.. ALL THE TIME..

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@GreatZulu

I think it might be something different. American football is a very demanding sport and requires one to be in great shape, just like most sports (even baseball).

I think another aspect of the issue is injuries. One thing that is NOT tolerated in any sport in America is faking injuries. In American sports leagues, players who fake an injury can be penalized, ejected, or suspended. Faking an injury in American sports is among one of the most shameful things a player can do. It's up there with betting and cheating. But in soccer, it is so common to see players flop all the time and fake injuries to get a call. Many Americans can't stand that. Until something is done about all the flopping, Americans will shy away from watching professional soccer.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

@thelistman

1) Click here. My point is that older nations were playing games similar to soccer so when modernized soccer came out, they were more into it. America didn't really have any old soccer type of games.

2) This is because their culture is not used to those type of sports. You know how there is Mexican food and Italian food. Both cultures are different so both food types are different. That is like how sports went.

3) That is because they were "born" in a time where the world is more into soccer. When the US was growing, there were less complex versions of today's sports rather than just soccer type games.

4) I was just saying the argument that is horrible is the one when people say Americans love other sports.

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

i know what you are saying about flopping, it happens a lot in basketball when players try to fake a charge.. but yeah things may have to change with people or the sport before americans take a larger interest

Craze77
Craze77
813 posts
Peasant

Soccer in the USA isnt as big cuz we have Football,Baseball,Basketball,Hockey,and Golf. All of these Sports are more popular than Soccer. Myself, I like Soccer as much as Football and Baseball but thats my opinion.

Showing 31-36 of 36