ForumsProgramming ForumAnyone interested in a Beginner AS2 Series?

5 5682
arobegamr
arobegamr
130 posts
Nomad

I am thinking of starting an ActionScript 2 Series which will build from the basics and show various techniques which are extremely useful in designing flash games.

Before I commit to this, however, I would like to know if anyone would be interested in such a series.

• 5 Replies
codyrousseau
codyrousseau
62 posts
Blacksmith

Yea I would be interested. You should start all the way from the beginning. Like as if I don't even have it downloaded yet haha.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Would be interesting. I'm not a fan of AS2 in particular, so I wouldn't participate, but I'm sure there is at least some demand for a series like this.

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

I've used As2 for almost 2 and a half years now, so I might be able to help a little.

jasonjie88
jasonjie88
28 posts
Nomad

TBH you are probably better off doing a beginner AS3 tut.

AS3 in comparison to AS2 is a lot more improved. If you make an error in AS3, you can find it using the compiler engine. On the other hand, AS2 has no error detection engine. If you find an error, you're stuck with it. That or you write your entire file from scratch, or you trawl through a file that potentially contains a few thousand lines to find the line that caused the problem. Unless you've //annotated //every //line //that //your //code //has //for //fear //that //this //problem //would //arise. In which case, congratulations. Your problem has now effectively doubled in size, because you have to scrawl through twice the number of lines of code.

No, seriously. Many devs of AS3 that have migrated from AS2 (me included) will agree that AS2 is the second oldest and messiest thing to happen to Flash next to AS1. AS3 may be more complex in defining objects and object inheritance, and that may make it harder to learn. Yet it is this specific definition of objects and object inheritance that leaves AS3 less prone to error. AS3 is also more optimized, and can run at least twice as fact as AS2 in the graphic aspect alone. Plus most of Adobe's more recent hardware, such as Pixel Bender, Crossbridge and AGAL for the most part don't work in AS2, but AS3.

Oh yeah, and the biggest advantage: if the Adobe community decides to dump AS2 in the future (which is highly possible - I mean, they've already dumped AS1, haven't they) games in this language probably won't work. So you might want to use AS3 just to make your game last a little bit longer.

So yeah. It's probably better that you write a tutorial in AS3, 'cause that's the way of the future, really.

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

People can do whatever they want, no matter how much you love as3.

Showing 1-5 of 5