Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

My biggest problem

Posted Sep 26, '13 at 10:09pm

Carnage1995

Carnage1995

99 posts

So I've tired learning before. Never really tried though. I'm trying more now. On some site called Codeacademy.com

I like it. Explains quite a bit.

I started with HTML, figured it would be the easiest. So far, it's rather simple, I started last night pretty much. I don't expect to really know it this fast though.

Like the title says, my biggest problem(this applies to all languages), how am I supposed to remember everything?

I've always had trouble, when trying to learn, to remember to put #include iostream, cout, etc...

How do you guys remember where to place all the code, and how and when?

I remember some things, but I keep forgetting and , for example.

This is my biggest problem so far.

Also, after I've finally learned HTML(I hope), which should I move onto next?

Javascript, CSS, and PHP, are pretty essential for web, development, correct?

In what order?

Posted Sep 26, '13 at 10:46pm

weirdlike

weirdlike

714 posts

If your having a hard time remembering the code, try creating a cheat sheet containing calculations and describing what they do. As you continue to learn you will find some of the code will be so easy, you will need to create a new cheat sheet just to keep up with more complex code.

The main thing I would suggest is to practice, practice, practice, make sure you are having fun, and never delete your work.

Good luck and happy coding

Posted Sep 29, '13 at 6:53am

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,879 posts

Well when I was starting out in a language and I didn't know much language theory having completed projects or examples helped me remember things I should be doing. I don't remember a lot of python I did like 3 years ago but if I needed to I could look up examples and get the gist of it down. Basically don't stress it, have resources at the ready and just code more.

Order: CSS, Javascript, PHP/MySQL

Resources: Website, Book

Code-academy opinion: Teaches basic you need to apply them or you won't learn and do some self study.

Posted Sep 29, '13 at 9:06am

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

Yeah, definitely get some experience doing stuff on your own. The less you practice making websites, the more mistakes you will make when you need to. It will also take you a lot longer, especially for new concepts. Taking the time to build new things and make them look good is a pretty big part of front-end web development. I have made dozens of websites since I started out. Have I used any of them? Not really. However, I now have the experience that, if I ever get a web development job, I will be well-prepared for the most basic part. CSS is pretty important in that respect, too - I would try to start learning it as quickly as possible, since it has a lot to do with where things are and how they look.

The next language you learn is really up to you. What would you rather learn - server scripting or front-end? If you learn PHP, you can make websites smaller at the highest level, or can build databases and make forums or social networking sites. If you learn Javascript, you can make cool site tools that will allow the users to interact with the website in different ways. Whichever one you want to start with is completely up to you. JS might be a good start for a beginning programmer, but it mostly depends what you're wanting to do with it.

If you work with PHP first, you're going to need a website that works with the latest PHP version and MySQL or a server on your computer like Uniform Server. Otherwise, you won't be able to run your scripts, since they have to run on a server in order to work.

Reply to My biggest problem

You must be logged in to post a reply!