ForumsForum GamesBretwalda (English Dark Ages RPG)

370 105050
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Oh vassal, who is your lord? Be you Pict? Briton? Irish? Perhaps even a Northman? Are you a virtuous Christian or a Pagan fluent in the rituals and sacrifices?

You are a vassal lord in the realm of Britain around the late 7th early 8th century. Your duties include raising armies to fight when war comes and keeping peace around the realm, and by that it means brutalizing the peasants and killing bandits.

Name:Irish, Celtic, Breton, Welsh will work
Physical Desc.: Please know a lot of people (as in 90%) in the dark ages weren't tall or really muscled
Bio: At least a paragraph
People: (i.e. Germanic, Breton, Irish, Welsh, Pict, Scandinavian...)
--------
Hand Weapons:
Ranged Weapons:
Armor & Possessions:
-------
Condition: Nil

That should be it, unless i left something out.

• 370 Replies
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Name:Alexius
Physical Desc.: somewhat average height,brown hair
Bio:he was a only son(besides his brother)until his father,a wealthy landowner,died.he equipped his father's old short sword and fought his brother to the death,and obviously won(his brother had a hammer,making him slower).he inhaled the land his father owned.
People: Celtic
--------
Hand Weapons:Seaxe
Ranged Weapons:
Armor & Possessions:Buckler,Tunic
Treasury: 500 Scillingas
-------

by yourself...?

danwar123
danwar123
3,075 posts
Jester

Bio:he was a only son(besides his brother)until his father,a wealthy landowner,died.he equipped his father's old short sword and fought his brother to the death,and obviously won(his brother had a hammer,making him slower).he inhaled the land his father owned.
--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

...how else?i dont have any soldiers yet,so unless you want me to hire mercinaries...

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

You really don't understand feudal armies, each king had his lords, who in turn had their knights, who in turn brought a small amount of soldiers, in this case you are the equivalent of a knight, and you gotta levy men to do the soldiering.

KnightVita
KnightVita
18 posts
Farmer

Name: Tanay Sishodia
Physical Desc.: Black hair, Black eyes with a hard gaunt face and medium build of 5,9"
Bio: The younger son, from a once mighty family brought down by betrayals and calamities, currently a guardian of an outlook of his father's lands.
People: Welsh
--------
Hand Weapons: Short Spear
Ranged Weapons:
Armor & Possessions: Small Square Shield, Tunic
-------

No one wants to willingly join the militia, farming is much safer then fighting.

I round up the able bodied men young men in the village and leaving just enough to maintain the farm harvest , I recruit the rest. I have 28 young men in the militia now.

" If my Lord could deign to provide us with an arms instructor I will be able to provide him with a company of soldiers not a mere village militia."
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Physical Desc.: Black hair, Black eyes with a hard gaunt face and medium build of 5,9"
Bio: The younger son, from a once mighty family brought down by betrayals and calamities, currently a guardian of an outlook of his father's lands.
--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

no, you have about 19, it's what you can manage given the size of your village

either way, the person who is to sell you the arms and armor will be to the village soon, so you should think on how to equip them

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

Name: Yannic Gwallter Cecil
Physical Desc.: Brown-hair, pale, dark-brown eyes, 5'8, scrawny.
Bio: No one really knows who Yannic was born unto. He was found as naught but a babe on the side of the road by a minor Nobleman who had business in Germany. One of his guards made a snarky comment about the &quotoor peasant child in the side of the road" and the Nobleman ordered the carriage to stop. A soldier brought Yannic forth, and he was wrapped in soft blankets with a House's symbol, too muddled to identify. The Nobleman returned to England, bringing with him a Fosterling. He rose Yannic as his youngest son, teaching him the ways of Honor, Chivalry, and the Code of Battle.
People: Germanic
--------
Hand Weapons:Hatchet
Ranged Weapons:
Armor & Possessions:Tunic, Small Round Shield
Treasury: 400 Scillingas
Troops: 12 Kotselta Seaxe (Short spears, Bucklers, Tunics: Free men trained to defend their homes when needed)
-------

Sounds reasonable. Might need to cut back on spending for a while. I don't want to disrupt production of something that probably wracks in the moneh for me. Speaking of which, would you say we had enough grain to sell and still be able to supplement the peasants?

HempandHash
HempandHash
529 posts
Nomad

Name:Bran Cynbel
Physical Desc.: Tattooed from head to toe with Celtic and Pictish designs. Wears both his hair and beard in braids.
Bio: Born a pagan before being captured in a Christian raid. He was taken to serve for an Abbey which he later escaped. Since then he has returned to his people in Northern Scotland.
People: Pict
--------
Ranged Weapons:
Armor & Possessions:Pictish Shield, Cloak
Treasury:500 Scillingas
-------

Well at least they have farm tools. Let's go with that.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Bio: No one really knows who Yannic was born unto. He was found as naught but a babe on the side of the road by a minor Nobleman who had business in Germany. One of his guards made a snarky comment about the &quotoor peasant child in the side of the road" and the Nobleman ordered the carriage to stop. A soldier brought Yannic forth, and he was wrapped in soft blankets with a House's symbol, too muddled to identify. The Nobleman returned to England, bringing with him a Fosterling. He rose Yannic as his youngest son, teaching him the ways of Honor, Chivalry, and the Code of Battle.
--------
Ranged Weapons:
Troops: 12 Kotselta Seaxe (Short spears, Bucklers, Tunics: Free men trained to defend their homes when needed)
-------

it's a yearly thing and heavily taxed by the king

Physical Desc.: Tattooed from head to toe with Celtic and Pictish designs. Wears both his hair and beard in braids.
Bio: Born a pagan before being captured in a Christian raid. He was taken to serve for an Abbey which he later escaped. Since then he has returned to his people in Northern Scotland.
--------
Ranged Weapons:
Troops: 12 Petta (Farming implements: Might as well have just got off their farms)
-------

Alright, well you get 12 poorly armed poorly trained villagers who basically just got off their farms

KnightVita
KnightVita
18 posts
Farmer

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

no, you have about 19, it's what you can manage given the size of your village

either way, the person who is to sell you the arms and armor will be to the village soon, so you should think on how to equip them

I begin teaching the recruits myself, taking them through elementery stuff. We practice sword play with wooden swords and march through the village and neighbouring villages so the people get to know us.

Young lads from neighbouring villages stare at us in wonder. Can I recruit from neighbouring outskirts or other villages(if they do not already have a militia), my Lord?
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

You teach them from what experience?

You can, but the lords of those villages won't look kindly on that

KnightVita
KnightVita
18 posts
Farmer

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

You teach them from what experience?

You can, but the lords of those villages won't look kindly on that

I was taught by my father. I brainwash my troops by continuously drilling into their mind that survival is the key that they have to thwart raiders because their own lives will depend on it. The men are enthusiastic and practice on their own. They may not be the most skilled militia but they would certainly be the fittest.
Can you move the plot along please?
trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

Oh, well then. Could I build a market then?

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

that's real specific, for a one sentence bio. I'm under the assumption you haven no real military experience, if you want to drill them, you'll need an instructor

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

There is a market in town, that's where they bring their goods to sell

HempandHash
HempandHash
529 posts
Nomad

--------
Ranged Weapons:
Troops: 12 Petta (Farming implements: Might as well have just got off their farms)
-------

I scour the land and try to find anyone who can make proper weapons for the farmers. Meanwhile I send my rag-tag group of warriors to protect the other farmers.

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

Okay, I'd like to build something that would earn the loyalty of my people. What would you suggest?

Showing 61-75 of 370