ForumsPopular MediaHeavy Metal - Gather'round Headbangers!

113 69808
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Hey guys, any fellow MetalHeads around? What are some good bands you guys usually listen to?

I have recently been getting into some Whitechapel and Veil of Maya. Both are Deathcore bands, and they both employ very deep riffs, as well as very deep death growls. Typically, you'll run into a lot of songs (like any other core band) that try to fuse heavy riffs with some melodic riffs in the background. These are the only Deathcore bands I listen to, since the entire core genre has too much melody for my tastes.

I'v also been getting into some Meshuggah and Vildharta. Both pioneers of the Djent genre, but only the latter is technically Djent. If you like technical song structures and low pitched riffs, these guys are the ones to listen to.

Some pretty heavy Death Metal can be heard from Abominable Putridity and Kraanium. These guys are some of the heaviest bands I have ever heard (aside from Hate Eternal). The gutturals dominate most of the vocals, with the occasional death growl now and again.

I'm always searching for new bands to listen to. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• 113 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Anyway, Korpiklaani was awesome simply due to their music

My envy level..'tis high.

I'm also surprised you moshpitted for them rather than a group drinkfest
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,251 posts
Regent

I can't imagine being shoved around and possibly trampled on being fun... Unless I'm the one doing the shoving and trampling! :P

It's shove and be shoved, buddy. But as long as people are reasonable it's fun. I fell down once, they helped me up immediately.

I'm also surprised you moshpitted for them rather than a group drinkfest

Not like I was sober when they started.. but just imagine, they start playing the song Vodka: what would you rather do, have another beer or go moshing?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Not like I was sober when they started.. but just imagine, they start playing the song Vodka: what would you rather do, have another beer or go moshing?

Both?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Have the beer go moshing
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Have the beer go moshing

Man, drinks at those things are so expensive. Last one I went to was selling red Solo cups of Budweiser for five bucks, and Jägermeister 'shots' for six. I would of had to double my budget just to get tipsy.

Back to musik!

I'm assuming everyone has heard of Opeth? They're pretty much my jam when at a bar...when I want said bar to clear out really fast.
NontroppO
NontroppO
366 posts
Nomad

http://i43.tinypic.com/t8sy8i.jpg
Random cover i like: (2009) What We All Come To Need
Pelican (2011) live from SLO Brew [sludge & drone & doom metal] United States
- Couldn't find my favorite Pelican: "March Into The Sea"

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nscp5i.jpg
Random cover i like: (2009) By The Light Of The Northern Star
Týr (2003) Eric The Red [folk metal] Faroe Islands
- Since the very first moment i listened to this album i enjoyed Týr, not sure if there is another band with the same sound and if other albums would fill my need

http://i41.tinypic.com/2e56100.jpg
Random cover i like: (1998) Das Schachbrett Des Trommelbuben Zacharias [actually there are not many or any good quality covers available]
Angizia (1997) Die Kemenaten Scharlachroter Lichter [symphonic & gothic & doom metal] Austria
- I like the female voices alongside with the piano too, really interesting stuff.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I'm assuming everyone has heard of Opeth? They're pretty much my jam when at a bar...when I want said bar to clear out really fast.

I'm half-half with this one; I like it's prog rock/jazz/early metal/folk feel, but I still don't completely feel comfortable with the death metal elements to their sound.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Couldn't find my favorite Pelican: "March Into The Sea"

I'm pretty sure that is everyone's favorite song by them =p

Týr

Yeeesssss.
Yesssssssssssssss
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Waaaaay too much melody to be considered Death Metal, yet everyone calls them Death Metal xD. The occasional song is pretty good, but the majority of their songs are pure melody with a couple heavy riffs here and there. Not a fan, but if you like the singer then check out Bloodbath. It's the same singer, just much heavier songs.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,251 posts
Regent

Waaaaay too much melody to be considered Death Metal, yet everyone calls them Death Metal xD. The occasional song is pretty good, but the majority of their songs are pure melody with a couple heavy riffs here and there. Not a fan, but if you like the singer then check out Bloodbath. It's the same singer, just much heavier songs.

Well they certainly don't qualify as Melodic Metal, having no keyboard/keytar or such. They might qualify as Melodeath, this could be debated. But mostly it's their growling and dark ambience that definitely puts them somewhere around Death Metal.
Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Peasant

Metalcore and deathcore's gone sissy, although progressive and melodic death metal are pretty good. I listen to: Bathory, 6 feet under, Black dahlia murder, Deicide, After the burial, Between the buried and me, Celtic frost, Kreator, krisiun, amon amarth, 3, behemoth, Slayer (80's), cannibal corpse, anvil, sepultura (duh), terrorizer, entombed and At the gates.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,251 posts
Regent

Sorry for shortly coming back to Opeth, but I felt like sharing this.. going on wikipedia to see what they had to say about genre, and the differences between the articles, was quite enlightening.

This is what the English page says:

Progressive death metal, progressive metal, progressive rock

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what the French page says:
Metal progressif, rock progressif, death mélodique, death metal technique, doom metal, black metal, avant-garde metal, rock psychédélique, jazz fusion

My conclusion: I will definitely call Opeth 'death metal-ish'; but it seems their music is not conventionally classifiable. Basically you can call it what you want.

Anyway.. anyone ever listened to Virgin Black?
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

Kataklysm, Bleed From Within and Carnifex I recommend also. Kataklysm are death metal and the other two are death core.

NontroppO
NontroppO
366 posts
Nomad

http://i42.tinypic.com/w8uiqs.jpg
Slayer (1985) Hell Awaits [thrash metal] United States

http://i42.tinypic.com/6h19nl.jpg
Bathory (1987) Under The Sign Of The Black Mark [classic black metal] Sweden

http://i42.tinypic.com/2aaenp4.jpg
Sarco***o (1987) I.N.R.I. [black & thrash & death metal] Brazil

- Some samples of the Black Metal development.

Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Peasant

Nice ^

Showing 61-75 of 113