ForumsPopular MediaHeavy Metal - Gather'round Headbangers!

113 69798
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Hey guys, any fellow MetalHeads around? What are some good bands you guys usually listen to?

I have recently been getting into some Whitechapel and Veil of Maya. Both are Deathcore bands, and they both employ very deep riffs, as well as very deep death growls. Typically, you'll run into a lot of songs (like any other core band) that try to fuse heavy riffs with some melodic riffs in the background. These are the only Deathcore bands I listen to, since the entire core genre has too much melody for my tastes.

I'v also been getting into some Meshuggah and Vildharta. Both pioneers of the Djent genre, but only the latter is technically Djent. If you like technical song structures and low pitched riffs, these guys are the ones to listen to.

Some pretty heavy Death Metal can be heard from Abominable Putridity and Kraanium. These guys are some of the heaviest bands I have ever heard (aside from Hate Eternal). The gutturals dominate most of the vocals, with the occasional death growl now and again.

I'm always searching for new bands to listen to. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• 113 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Found another female fronted band. :L

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Found another female fronted band. :L

You're making it sound as if it was the exception!

I like her voice a lot. Good music, too.
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

Evanescence have a female member, they're not really heavy nor good in my opinion but thought I would mention them to show they're are quite a few bands with female members.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Nightwish; Epica; Arch Enemy; After Forever; Leaves' Eyes; Within Temptation;...

Just those I can think of from the top of my mind.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

(unrelated to female singer topic)

Static-X. That is all

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

You're making it sound as if it was the exception!

I like her voice a lot. Good music, too.

Oops, missed out a word!

Found, yet another female fronted band.
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

Yes I can definitely dispute Paramore, they are rock, well, barely even that. The rest I have not heard of before.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Here is a band no one has heard before: Xasthur.

'Nuff said.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Yes I can definitely dispute Paramore, they are rock, well, barely even that.

*derails topic a bit* True, but the line is thin and the area grey... how much distortion on a guitar is allowed for a band to be called Metal instead of rock? And the rythems used in the riffs, beats and overall tempo of their music? Questions, questions... oh wait! Weren't we talking about 'Female Fronted Bands' here? =P

Here is a band no one has heard before: Xasthur.

'Nuff said.

Actually... no... linky linky please? (Too lazy to search on the net for them... =P)
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Xasthur Wikipedia Article
Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide (please excuse poor quality)

Unusual to say the least. Somehow I like it.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

My Frustration by Coal Chamber
Brackish by Kittie and We Are The Lamb and Cut Throat.

The second one is an all-female metal band. Oh, and I don't care if you people don't classify these bands as 'heavy metal'. I've been listening to this sort of musik before all those sub-genre shenanigans existed.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Nightwish

I love Nightwish's blend of instruments in their music... I don't usually like metal that much but Nightwish is an exception
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Right... Never saw anyone mentioning In This Moment, or The Dirty Youth, or Paramore, or Amaranthe, or Sirenia, or Tristania, or Xandria?! =)

I have always loved the last four to bits, although Amaranthe gets alot of derogatory flak for not being ''metal'' enough. I adore how they fuse pop melodies with metal, but three singers kills if off for me.

Paramore definitely isn't metal for me, I don't reckon there's a ''definite'' gauge of riffs/beats that make a band metal or not, but generally when one listens to it, one can already discern clearly. Laymanish, but oh well.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Time to answer with tons of links to sift through! =)

Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide (please excuse poor quality)

It wasn't the poor quality, but... nah, not my thing here. =/

It's just too dark and lacks rhythem, which is something that needs to be accounted for at all times for me personally.

My Frustration by Coal Chamber
Brackish by Kittie and We Are The Lamb and Cut Throat.

Listened to Devoidless' suggestions and got re-acquinted with OT3P! (I saw them pop up in the suggestions list alongside Kittie...) The band has some nice switching and building rythems in their songs and Otep Shamaya has a great hypnotising voice, but the lyrics are often disturbing... so be advised: "Ghostflowers"

Right, on with the songs... errr... that's a quick answer; Kittie has a nice tempo and some great riffs in there! But... I just can't stand screaming lyrics, so they are not for me. =/

Stumbled upon another band I never heard of before that reminds me of Creed/Alterbridge/Acroma. All these bands, including the one I found are borderline between 'soft-metal' and rock (probably the latter), but I wanted to present them to you anyway... So, what do you guys think of The Perfect Circle - The Outsider? =)
(Btw: This is the album cover video; the original video has an NS*** intro.)

I love Nightwish's blend of instruments in their music... I don't usually like metal that much but Nightwish is an exception

Nightwish is always good! It's one of those bands that are able to fill the gap when your mind is completely blank about what to play next... right! Nightwish! Problem solved... ^^
For example: Amaranth (funny to think of this one first) - It's a song that didn't get the well deserved credit it should have, as I think it's abso-f-ing-lutely great, but the fans never embraced Annette as the new singer of the band. Shame... maybe (hell, I bet!) Floor can turn things around again! =)

Amaranthe gets alot of derogatory flak for not being ''metal'' enough. I adore how they fuse pop melodies with metal, but three singers kills if off for me.

True... it works, for one song... one song max, then you're done with it. It's a combination that puts 3 different voices together to make an interesting blend, but it wears off real quick. =)

Paramore definitely isn't metal for me, I don't reckon there's a ''definite'' gauge of riffs/beats that make a band metal or not, but generally when one listens to it, one can already discern clearly.

I was putting up Paramore for female fronted bands that were suggested, but you're right... I stand corrected as this is not Metal and should not have been thrown in here by me...
*grunt voice* Uuuuuuhhhhiiimmmmssoooorrrrryyyyyhhh! *coughcough* Heh... need to practice. =P

But since you brought it up... (that one's on you, lol), it's that grey erea that comes from the rock-chick-skater-dudette image started by Avril Lavigne if you ask me. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, no sir! But it makes it all the more difficult to draw a lone between where Rock ends and Metal begins...
I mean, is THIS considered to be Metal? Or Rock? Or Dance? Or Pop? Or Classical? Or... wut?! Because it has features of every one of these types of music in there! Don't slap a label on it straight away, but try to listen to it with an open mind and think about those genres I just mentioned and you'll see that the grey area is expanding more and more, like a virus almost... a nice looking one though! =)

Laymanish, but oh well.

So, who decides who's the real expert in Metal?! Someone that simply knows everything about Metal there is to know?! (Which really seems im-pos-sible to me.) Or is it someone who enjoys listening to it?! Think about that...

As a closing statement: A band I've come to love ever since @goumas13 introduced and pushed me to keep listening to them... Bullet for my Valentine! They are labeled as a Melodic Metalcore band and sometimes as a general Heavy Metal band, but they see themselves as a Hardrock band with Metal influences! They have a little bit of everything in there, Screaming Metal, Pop, Grunge-Pop, Speed Metal, you name it. Just goes to show how the labeling has turned liking music into a maze of styles... =P

Have fun!! =D \\m//_
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

*LOL The swear filter kicked in again... *facepalms* ...it should have said N.S.F.A.G. instead maybe? See if this works... =)

Showing 76-90 of 113