ForumsForum GamesInfernal (Survival RPG)

3 3261
Veksing
Veksing
1,676 posts
Peasant

This is a zombie game.
If the thought of zombies, or a zombie forum game annoys you whether it be past experiences with bad zombie forum games or just a generally bad disposition towards it, then you can stop reading here.

For the rest of you, I can guarantee that it won't be a typical zombie forum game.

I'll try to make the explanation of the game short and sweet, because if you're anything like me, you don't want to read through a multitude of 'rules and regulations'. However, some things just HAVE to be thrown out there and read, or the game won't be played properly.

Firstly, I'll start with the topic of the three (sometimes most annoying parts of an RPG) needs. Hunger, thirst, and rest.

I want to make these things as simple as possible so having to deal with them can be super easy.

I am a big fan of The Walking Dead. While watching episode after episode, I realized that they hardly acknowledge the food, water and resting problems (Season 4 is a small exception). After all, its a show mainly about the troubles of other humans for the most part... along with tons of deaths from zombies. The point is, they focus mainly on the attitude and emotions, and hardly on the three needs aspect.

What I'm getting at is that you still need food, water, and shelter, but it won't interfere too much at all with your plans for the apocalypse (food and water wise).

If you have food at your shelter or on you and you begin to feel hungry, you'll automatically consume it along with water if you become hydrated. However, if you have no water on you, and you happen to pass a lake, river, etc., you won't immediately drink it automatically without your consent, unless your close to death from dehydration.

In short, if you have enough food to last let's say 14 days, then you have absolutely no need to worry about hunger. You'll consume the food automatically whenever you come across your shelter or if you have some on you. Same for water, as long as you have a clean source that you've stored or that you've allocated as your source of water, such as a cool spring to drink from and so on.

Another thing to be stated is difficulty. You can choose how difficult the game will be, which will affect chance. I adopted the use of a 'random number generator' in order to have much more accuracy when encountering certain things or events. In this case, how many zombies can be in one location, the chances of bones breaking after a long fall, or whatever the situation is.

This makes it more 'fair' than for me to decide that you break an arm just because I feel like it should have. Yes, I'm choosing how much of a percentage that something could happen, but its justified because of what difficulty you choose. If you choose the hardest one, odds will be against you in most cases. You choose the easiest, and odds are heavily in your favor.

On to combat. Let's say you get into a firefight with someone. The difficulty you select determines whether a bullet has a good or bad chance to hit you, after factoring in the cover you could possibly be using and also if the opponent has a background that pertains to using firearms and is trained.

I haven't quite figured out hand to hand combat or use of melee weapons, but it seems to me that the most logical choice would be to keep using the same 'chance' system for it as well. If someone has a machete, and you're using only fists, chances are you're toast, unless you choose to run.

Alright guys, we're nearing the end. This paragraph is to inform you about the game's story. Cool thing is, you can choose every detail to your story.

All of this is completely optional.

You can give me a background of your character, like what he/she's done in the past, who his/her family is and if they are with him/her currently in the apocalypse, or if he/she's got friends or strangers who's been met along the way. Also, how long your character has been surviving in the apocalypse.

If you have some companions, tell me the traits they have if you wish, or their relationship towards you. You can make them anything. This can pretty much make your situations harder, or easier depending on who you make your companions. Some can be hostile and totally immoral to some people while they are hospitable towards the ones they like, and so on to make things interesting.

Decide for yourself how much supplies you have at your shelter, and how many people you have in your group or community. You can also say that you have a problem with people, supplies, zombies, bandits, ect. in your community to make you're game harder if you're a hardcore type of guy or gal.

Post the story of your character and community under the character sheet after filling in the respective categories. Also, the character sheet may change during the playthrough to refine it.

Finally, to the character sheet.
Name:
Sex:
Appearance: (Optional)
Survived: (How many days, months, and years have you survived the apocalypse up to this point?)
-----
Hunger:
Thirst:
Rest:
-----
Clothing:
Inventory:
-----
Shelter: (What type of shelter? If not one and there are many houses, how many?)
Fortifications: (What type of defenses line your shelter?)
Occupancies: (How many bedrooms/kitchens/bathrooms per house?)
-Bedrooms:
-Bathrooms:
-Kitchens:
Population:
-----
Shelter's Supplies: (

• 3 Replies
Veksing
Veksing
1,676 posts
Peasant

Something always goes wrong, it never fails.

Also, forgot to mention the difficulties.

Easiest: Odds are heavily in your favor. People are terrible shots, zombies are slow and brittle, supplies are way too easy to find. Oh, and the people are utterly brainless. Manipulating them should be a piece of cake. The game will practically be cheating for you. How would this be any fun?
Easy: Okay... your stepping up slightly now. But, this is still throwing freebies at your face. It'd be hard not to catch those. Slightly reduced chances to find supplies, people are close to being good with firearms, and zombies are still slow and brittle. People are also dumb.
Normal: Now you're at least making a name for yourself. Zombies are sometimes slow and brittle, and sometimes faster and not so brittle. People have better accuracy, and are more intelligent than in easier modes. Supplies are sometimes easy to find, sometimes not, heavily depending on how long the apocalypse has been going on. People now have differentiating opinions on certain subjects, and have personalities now.
Hard: Getting confident, eh? The majority of zombies are fast and stronger, while the minority still are weak and brittle. More often than not, you'd better have a plan B. People are much more intelligent than in the easier modes, and are more accurate as well. Supplies are a little harder to find than usual, but still heavily depends on how long the apocalypse has been going on. Also, a person now has more of a personality, and more of a moral or immoral stand point, making social situations and conflicts much more... real.
Harder: Maybe you shouldn't be considering this. People are incredibly intelligent, and are much more accurate. Only a very small percentage of zombies are slow and brittle, while a vast majority are fast and strong. We're talking World War Z speed, here. Supplies are pretty rare to come by, and still heavily depends on how long the apocalypse has been going on.
Realistic: Ahh, my favorite. Instead of this being an even harder version of 'harder', things in this difficulty are more randomized than anything. The amount of supplies in the world are incredibly dependent only on how long the apocalypse has been going on. However, all zombies are incredibly fast and strong. Headshots to kill. You'd better have a lot of stamina, too. People are either accurate, or inaccurate. A stranger's or bandit's background is randomized. Whatever job they had before depends on their skills. Not everyone is intelligent, nor dumb. People still may have conflicting ideas and morals, and some more hostile than others.

Finally, to the character sheet.
Name:
Sex:
Appearance: (Optional)
Survived: (How many days, months, and years have you survived the apocalypse up to this point?)
Difficulty:
-----
Hunger:
Thirst:
Rest:
-----
Clothing:
Inventory:
-----
Shelter: (What type of shelter? If not one and there are many houses, how many?)
Fortifications: (What type of defenses line your shelter?)
Occupancies: (How many bedrooms/kitchens/bathrooms per house?)
-Bedrooms:
-Bathrooms:
-Kitchens:
Population:
-----
Shelter's Supplies: (Leave blank, fill information below)
-Food: (How many days worth?)
-Water: (Water source, such as a well, how many buckets of water, and how many days worth?)
-Weapons: (Including your current weapons along with other armed companions)
-Others: (Unused furniture, scrap metal, broken weaponry, or any other things you can think of)

(Insert story here)

HempandHash
HempandHash
529 posts
Nomad

Name: Johnny Skuzz
Sex:Male
Appearance: Ugly, tattooed, with dreadlocks.
Survived: 4 months
Difficulty: Realistic
-----
Hunger:
Thirst:
Rest:
-----
Clothing:Leather Patch Jacket, Skank, Carhartt Bibs, Black Flag T-shirt
Inventory:
-----
Shelter: One, two-story main house with a run-down garage out back.
Fortifications: An 8 foot chain link fence, covered with metal siding, and topped with razor wire, lines the back and side of the property separating it from the alleyway. Along the other side and front of the house a wall has been built out of railroad ties and scrap metal.
Occupancies:
-Bedrooms:4
-Bathrooms:1
-Kitchens:1
Population:3
-----
Shelter's Supplies:
-Food: 1 keg of beer, 4 industrial size boxes of animal crackers, 9 cans of beans
-Water: Water is collected from rain barrels and a nearby stream. Then stored in several water coolers.
-Weapons: Metal bat, and a handgun. The house has a communal shotgun, and one of my roommates has a set of swords and knives while the other has a rifle and a decent sized cowbar.
-Others: A whole arsenal of music equipment is stacked throughout the house. Unfortunately, collapse of the electrical grid has rendered most of it useless. The back garage is completely filled with an assortment of art projects, trash, and random hand tools.

Born under the name Harold Irving, Johnny left his home at fifteen to live on the streets. He fell in with a group of punks and founded the band Nuclear Skuzz Toilet, subsequently changing his name to Johnny Skuzz. After writing the theme song for some mouthwash commercial, he was able to scrape up enough cash with his friends to buy a nice house in the suburbs, and completely trash it. The nicknamed their new dwelling The Void.
A few months back, N.S.T. was playing a show. Then zombies happened and the stage caught fire. It would've been totally metal, except it was terrifying. To make matters worse they lost their guitarist in the chaos, and haven't seen him since. The crew returned to The Void after that and have been riding out the apocalypse since.

-long character sheet

Veksing
Veksing
1,676 posts
Peasant

-long character sheet

You think that's long? Check this one out.

Also, I got contacted yesterday that I passed my firefighter written and physical exams and now for 18 weeks, I have to attend their fire academy. I don't know if I will have enough time between studying any material they throw at me or hitting the gym to pass the physical tests ahead to do this. If I'd have known just a few days earlier I wouldn't have started this forum game.

Sorry about that. I guess I'll be playing other forum games every now and then.
Showing 1-3 of 3