ForumsThe TavernGoogle is getting too smart

26 5829
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

I had just read the topic about Australian drop bears, which I had never heard of, so I looked them up on Wikipedia. A related article was that about another fictitious creature, the hoop snake, which I had also never heard of. Since this article had no picture, I decided to search for it using Google to see what the creature supposedly looks like. All I type is 'H' and 'hoop snake' is the first search suggestion. I had never searched for a hoop snake before, and it is in no way the most commonly searched thing starting with H, which means Google had to have tracked my Wikipedia browsing session in order to have come up with that result.

What has become of the internet?

• 26 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Almost every ad you see is created by Google's tracking software. Everything you do on a device that is connected to the Internet is tracked. Privacy is a thing of the past.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Almost every ad you see is created by Google's tracking software.

And if you use a Google phone you can basically throw away all right to privacy. Google truly has the worst privacy policy on the internet (at least from what I've seen). What sucks is that Google is getting into EVERYTHING so we can basically say, in all honesty, privacy is a thing of the past.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I went to Google after taking a shower a couple days ago and under the big "Google" it said "Nice bod".

A related article was that about another fictitious creature,

Are you trying to say the Drop Bear doesn't exist?
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Remember that Google is a business, and every webpage you click on is market research. Or something like that. The point is, the more Google knows about you, the more money they can make through the ads they throw at you... because if their ads reflect something you might be interested in, you'll be more likely to click on them, thus increasing Google's profit.

So yay for big brother! =D

I went to Google after taking a shower a couple days ago and under the big "Google" it said "Nice bod".

Really? Because the same thing happened to me, except instead of a compliment, I got an endorsement deal with Abercrombie & Fitch. =)
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Pang, we all know that is not true. Why do you try and joke with yourself?

We all know you don't have a nice bod. Google was giving you the business.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Privacy? Who needs privacy on the net. Google can know whatever smutty sites I view, so long as none of the real life people in my life actually know. They can keep data on my favourite flicks, what I read, my old blogs, and what not, so long as they keep it with them, for market purposes solely. And so far, Google has been good to me.

Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Well, privacy can be hacked, that's the problem.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

All I type is 'H' and 'hoop snake' is the first search suggestion.

I believe part of Google's search algorithm is to move up results that are recently prominent. Many people may have been searching for "hoop snakes" on Google in the past few months, thus when you typed an "h" Google knew to put that result much higher on the list due to recent prominence. In the future a different result may show when you type the "h".

So, in this instance it's not necessarily that Google had been tracking your browsing habits outside of Google, but just tracking the results they get from people searching on Google.

But I'm sure looking at your cookies and tracking your internet behavior outside of Google is done by Google as well. It seems Google is gathering as much information as possible, through as many different avenues as possible, on people. I agree with those saying privacy is a thing of the past. Google is everywhere.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

But I'm sure looking at your cookies and tracking your internet behavior outside of Google is done by Google as well. It seems Google is gathering as much information as possible, through as many different avenues as possible, on people. I agree with those saying privacy is a thing of the past. Google is everywhere.

Google is becoming a parasite so I use PeerBlock. I only unblock Google when I need to do a search, the rest is none of their business.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Well, privacy can be hacked, that's the problem.

Google is a multi-billion dollar company. They are able to pay for the most certificated minds in the world. Their firewall is mist likely impenetrable by almost any means possible. However, can Google inc. tell what makes fruity flakes just so tasty?
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Ur an phat.

And so far, Google has been good to me.

Eh, you never know if one day Google decides (or always has been) to share your info with other third parties. It makes sense that they'd share your interests with third parties (businesses that basically want your money) but you never know if that is all they're sharing. Personally I love and hate Google. They have some conveniences, I'll give them that, but they're policy regarding your data is a bit careless.

Google is everywhere.

Even in your nightmares.
jcwgames
jcwgames
113 posts
Jester

Isn't this a bit of an overreaction?

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Isn't this a bit of an overreaction?

Oh yeah? YOU'RE an overreaction! How do you like them apples that don't fall far from the tree after hitting every ugly branch on the way down because what comes up must come down?

Before you know it, Google = Skynet.

It has been predicted, and you have been warned, heathens. Pray to Cthulhu and hope your death will be swift and painless.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Oh yeah? YOU'RE an overreaction!

OOOHHH nice one! *hi fives*

I believe part of Google's search algorithm is to move up results that are recently prominent. Many people may have been searching for "hoop snakes" on Google in the past few months, thus when you typed an "h" Google knew to put that result much higher on the list due to recent prominence. In the future a different result may show when you type the "h".

Nope. After he posted the thread I put "h" in google and got different results.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

What has become of the internet?

What was it before? A lack of privacy isn't exactly a new development. Just be glad Google isn't using their powers for evil instead of niceness.

Yet.
Showing 1-15 of 26