ForumsThe TavernGoogle is getting too smart

26 5837
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

I had just read the topic about Australian drop bears, which I had never heard of, so I looked them up on Wikipedia. A related article was that about another fictitious creature, the hoop snake, which I had also never heard of. Since this article had no picture, I decided to search for it using Google to see what the creature supposedly looks like. All I type is 'H' and 'hoop snake' is the first search suggestion. I had never searched for a hoop snake before, and it is in no way the most commonly searched thing starting with H, which means Google had to have tracked my Wikipedia browsing session in order to have come up with that result.

What has become of the internet?

• 26 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Well, privacy can be hacked, that's the problem.

I'm not worried. All I have to hack are some social media sites, a few game passwords, my email, which I see no reason as to why they would even want to hack. That and my bank account, which I trust is in safe enough hands.

I would be much more worried of hackers wanting to turn my computer into a botnet, or people who would want to hack into Google to get my details.
Fuzio
Fuzio
63 posts
Nomad

Google made a car that drives itself. You're surprised that it can figure out what you want to search all of a sudden??

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Google is every:

Chromebook: Your computer (for internet).
Google Fiber: Your internet service provider.
Chrome: Your browser.
Google com: Your search engine.
Gmail: Your e-mail.
Google Maps: Your maps (and satellites that have taken pictures of the whole earth.
Google+: Your social network.
YouTube: Your video sharing website.
Google Translate: Your translator.
Android: Your Phone. (Your phone's operating system.)
Google Driverless Car: Your car.

Worst part is, what if the driverless car happens and lots of people buy it. I feel that Google could force the car to drive you somewhere that wasn't your planned route or prevent the car from going to certain places.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I feel that Google could force the car to drive you somewhere that wasn't your planned route or prevent the car from going to certain places.

"Now driving you to: Google toll booth."
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Google+: Your social network.

People actually use Google+?

~~~Darth Caedus
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Google Fiber: Your internet service provider.

Jesus... Google has a internet service provider? How did I not know this...
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Chromebook

Don't use one. I bet Google will hone their powers and make a really good laptop soon.
Google Fiber

I don't use it but I want it.
Chrome

Yep, Chrome is life, Chrome is love.
Google.com

Nah, I use Bing. JK, of course I use Google.
Gmail

I use hotmail.
Google Maps

How I know where I am going before I get in my car. Soon I will be using my GPS but I will still you Google Maps to have a good idea.
Google+

Just for a video call with multiple people.
YouTube

It isn't Youtube itself, but the people that use it. CGP Grey is an easy favorite.
Google Translate

What I use when I cannot remember a Spanish word.
Android

Well the phone is Motorola, but yes it is the Android Operating system.
Google Driverless Car

Cannot wait until everything is Driverless and there is no need for cops so I can speed around everyone in a normal car.

TLDR, Google is life, Google is love. Has some things it isn't quite as good at like G+ but overall it is a powerhouse that when it partners with Disney will take over the world.
Fuzio
Fuzio
63 posts
Nomad

Google Fiber

Now Google is regulating when we go to the bathroom? At least now we don't have to eat vegetables!
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

People actually use Google+?

People that have a youtube account do.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Google Fiber

It's expensive, but it's incredible. We have it at school and on the best days we get up to GB/sec.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

It's expensive, but it's incredible. We have it at school and on the best days we get up to GB/sec.

Get to my speed.

m/sec brah
Showing 16-26 of 26