ForumsWEPRLifestyle Crisis

17 11032
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

Over the last 2 years, I've done an incredible amount of growing and expanding mentally and i have come to a certain realization. Living in the states, having a "career", contributing to society, trying to solve my problems with money, is something that I'm just not cut out for. I thought that trying to find something that "makes me happy" would entail me finding a job that i thoroughly enjoyed doing, that i could make a potential living off of. Well, i couldn't have been more wrong.

The world is dying. We are destroying it. The only thing i see appropriate to do, is to go see all the beauty in this life, before i see whatever beauty is in the next. i want to just save like a good amount of money, find myself a good girlfriend, and just leave and nomad around. I don't know where, I don't know how long, i just want to leave. i want adventure, excitement, life threatening situations where im at the mercy of the circle of life itself, for this is a trait that i think most humans lack. we are arrogant and think that society can hide us from nature forever. For how can we conquer death, if many of us are to scared to face it? How can you truly know the value of your life if you havent felt it almost taken away?

am i just being a delusional hippie? are there others here on AG that have similar thoughts?

discuss

• 17 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

i want to just save like a good amount of money, find myself a good girlfriend, and just leave and nomad around.

You'd need a good amount of money for that these days.

i want adventure, excitement, life threatening situations where im at the mercy of the circle of life itself

Go to Somalia with cash taped to your back.

How can you truly know the value of your life if you havent felt it almost taken away?

I know that I've lost about a decade on self-destructive delusions. That's plenty motivation for me.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

The world is not dying. It is changing. You're running from the changes, like so many people that end up compulsively tripping around the world. I have nothing against going on trips and so on; I just don't understand what is wrong with so many people that they feel like they failed their life if they haven't seen every single square meter of the planet. To me it seems like running after a chimaera..

Agreed, you don't seem to be happy with your current situation. Go on a trip; visit a country, talk to people, etc. Then come back and think again. Maybe there's somewhere a job/activity you can do that includes going places, or maybe you'd want to move to another country?

How can you truly know the value of your life if you havent felt it almost taken away?

Is it worth risking your life, and the happiness of your family/close friends, and your future, for it?
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I just don't understand what is wrong with so many people that they feel like they failed their life if they haven't seen every single square meter of the planet. To me it seems like running after a chimaera..

I think it has something to do with the process of urbanization. Human-made environments and human-influenced ecosystems keep increasing in size, while the natural environment keeps shrinking in size at a relatively fast pace. The wild becomes thus a rare resource, which renders it more valuable and interesting for people. Furthermore, if we compound this phenomenon with good-old-fashioned curiosity and a pursuit of knowledge we get people who want to see every single square meter of the planet.

Anyway, delossantosj I think I get your point of view, however imo you shouldn't throw all caution to the wind. Travel, explore, have adventures but always take some precautions. Some places are incredibly dangerous, especially for tourists. It's just not worth the risk.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

i want to just save like a good amount of money,

I hope you see a certain contradiction in terms there: What you're asking for is to efficiently join the rat race, in order to escape it.

I'm not saying that's impossible, and no doubt many have gone before you; but consider that perhaps stepping out also (possibly notably) involves throwing your securities to the wind.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

especially for tourists.

Naw man. It wouldn't be like that at all. id probably travel on foot for the most part. I'd figure my way around however i could. i certainly don't plan on taking this venture alone.

I hope you see a certain contradiction in terms there:

Naw man. Currency doesn't have to be something that's bad. I'm talking about getting just enough to use if i needed too. It's not about the money anyways, the money is just kinda, there. It's not like im trying to pay rent or anything, you know?
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

The world is dying. We are destroying it.

We've been destroying it. The root of the issue I see is that mankind cannot see eye to eye due to cultural differences. This path I see will utterly be the destruction of the human race. Mankind in it's current and unchanging state of mind will lead to destruction and destruction alone. An evolved state of mind may only come through cataclysm.

i want to just save like a good amount of money, find myself a good girlfriend, and just leave and nomad around.

Finding enough money to do that will be hard. Finding a girlfriend who'd live a life like this with you will be even harder.

i want adventure, excitement, life threatening situations where im at the mercy of the circle of life itself, for this is a trait that i think most humans lack.

I've had this frame of mind for a while as well. It's a frame of mind that is usually frowned upon because of the lack of it's relation to the events of the real world. The people who do accept these ideals may not for long as well.

For how can we conquer death, if many of us are to scared to face it?

Many fear death because they fear lack of control. Death, to many people, is a form of "change" that is negative in most peoples eyes. Many people do not want to leave their day to day lives yet because they are looking for something. They want to do something, have dreams left unfulfilled. This I believe is the root to fear of death.

Another reason for fearing death is fearing the unknown. But that's for another time.

Go to Somalia with cash taped to your back.

That's more of a death sentence then it is an adventure.

The world is not dying. It is changing.

The scale in which form of ideals that is accepted is what is changing the world. We still cling to old and illogical ways of life though.

Go on a trip; visit a country, talk to people, etc.

This helps in situations like this. Vacations help.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

Vacations help.

vacations cost money yo. im not in a situation where i can fork out money for a weekend trip, just to go back and experience boring "normal life". you know what i mean?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

vacations cost money yo. im not in a situation where i can fork out money for a weekend trip, just to go back and experience boring "normal life". you know what i mean?

And yet you want to travel the world? But see, that is exactly what I meant when I said you may find an activity that comes with some life situation changes, a job where you have to go somewhere, something like that. Work and travel instead of spending years saving some money for a big trip you know will end sometime.
hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

Man, if you want to drop everything and travel, I say go for it. Trust me, it's not nearly as risky or difficult as the others make it sound.

One of the most important things to remember is the sheer amount of resources available to travelers. Some of the basic ones are things like WikiTravel, HitchWiki and couchsurfing, which help plan and budget while traveling (Nomadic Matt's site also has some pretty good starting information and inspirational advice).

When it comes to expenses, they really aren't all that high, especially if you're traveling through places rather than to places. Between hitchhiking and couchsurfing, I've been traveling through Europe on around $1200 a month (which is significantly less than the cost of living in the part of the states I'm from), and a good portion of that money goes to unnecessary causes like extra beer and coffee. Also consider that this is a placer where the dollar is weak and the costs of living are high. If you go somewhere where the costs of living are significantly lower, like Central America, traveling would be much cheaper.

As for things like family, friends, financial security and all that, it's not something you really need to worry about too much. Your family will probably still be there when you get back, as will your friends, and if they're not, you can always reconnect with them through the internet or some other method (perks of living in a digital age). If you're at a job you hate, then don't wast your life hating it, especially if it's a dead end job. If you're already in school and you don't like what you're studying, take some time off to travel and think (that's what I did). Like your family, it will probably still be there when you get back. So don't listen to HahiHa when he talks about risking your future, or the happiness of your friends and family. Most of it will still be there when you get back, and you might find that you'll have even more opportunities than you started with.

But whatever you do, don't over-romanticize travel. Yes, you learn new things, see amazing places, and discover a lot about yourself, but it's very rare that you'll be in some life or death struggle. Nevertheless, you will get into situations you could never have predicted, and have different kinds of adventures regardless of where you go.

Also, don't think that you have to go far to travel. There's a lot to do in every country, especially in the states. You could hitchhike from coast to coast. You could walk the Appalachian trail (or better yet, the Pacific Crest trail!). There are plenty of opportunities for adventure close by.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

You may find this worth a look: http://www.theprofessionalhobo.com/ .

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

And yet you want to travel the world?

Haha the "World". I'll go wherever i end up going, man. i plan on starting with America and Canada. i still have years of planning to do anyway.

instead of spending years saving some money for a big trip

Haha 3-4 years is a blip on the timeline that is ones life. not that i can predict my own lifespan, but considering my conditions, 2-3 to save up money isnt a lot at all.

When it comes to expenses, they really aren't all that high, especially if you're traveling through places rather than to places.

I couldn't possibly have said it better myself.

If you're already in school and you don't like what you're studying, take some time off to travel and think (that's what I did).
Though it's not the fact that i dont like what im studying, that was the initial plan. like a 5-15 year sort of deal around all over the place.

I dont really plan on going overseas too much, airline tickets are expensive for sure. Though i do really want to live in Japan for a good few years of my life.

Also, don't think that you have to go far to travel. There's a lot to do in every country, especially in the states. You could hitchhike from coast to coast. You could walk the Appalachian trail (or better yet, the Pacific Crest trail!). There are plenty of opportunities for adventure close by.

Im from Colorado, so my initial plan was to go through the mountains, go just north of the desert, and into Cali. Ill probably spend some time there and enjoy the beach and then ill head up North to Vancouver and check out some Canadian landscapes or something, then travel faaaaaaaaaaar down to the Appalachian mountains. That was my brainstorm a few months back.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I do and I do not. You want to adventure and adventures cost money man. It's not like you can pack up and go somewhere, not in these times. Maybe once in history people could do that.

I dont really plan on going overseas too much, airline tickets are expensive for sure. Though i do really want to live in Japan for a good few years of my life.

Overseas can cost a lot of cheddar. But can be worth it. My father went to Japan once, and he liked it so much he didn't want to leave. And I quote...

"This place is so amazing I have to leave now or I may never leave."

Good times.

Im from Colorado, so my initial plan was to go through the mountains, go just north of the desert, and into Cali. Ill probably spend some time there and enjoy the beach and then ill head up North to Vancouver and check out some Canadian landscapes or something, then travel faaaaaaaaaaar down to the Appalachian mountains. That was my brainstorm a few months back.

As awesome as this sounds I think you'll run into some issues. For one, you'd need around $3,000 at very least for the total cost for food, a place to stay, and other miscellaneous expenses that will occur. And something like this is dangerous. In ways I don't think I need to mention.

Also... on a completely unrelated note... YAY MY 1,000th FORUM POST WOO HOO!
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

You want to adventure and adventures cost money man.

This is everything wrong with what you said.

That's terrible thinking my friend. money shouldnt be something that has real "control" over your life. sure it's going to be there no matter what you do, but im not going to let something as silly as money get in the way of what it is i want to do.

For one, you'd need around $3,000 at very least for the total cost for food, a place to stay, and other miscellaneous expenses that will occur.

nonononono (chris rock voice). see you are thinking of a vacation. im not going on a vacation.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Have you ever read Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer?

See, ITW is a biography about this college graduate, Chris McCandless. I'm a bit of a book worm and this is probably one of my favorite books ever. I think it really pertains to your situation and it definitely has a lot of information that has helped guide me. A few years ago I was definitely like you. But not enough about me.

Chris, the subject, was just like you: a hater of materialism, a young man ready to see the world, and oh-so ambitious. He never quite enjoyed or fit into society so as soon as he graduated college (with outstanding grades, mind you), he essentially said "**** money, **** society, **** people" and went off to live on his own.

Throughout his amazing trek he ventured around the country and parts of Canada. He visited the Colorado mountains, the Arizona desert, the California coast, the muggy Georgia climate, the moderately weathered Montana, and, finally, the frost-ridden Alaskan frontier.

He loved music, like you. He loved freedom, like you. He loved being set in his belief system and was very hard to deter, like you. He lived out of a backpack with absolutely no money (he donated all of his money to, ironically, an anti-hunger charity), like what you want. And guess what happened? He ends up starving to death in an abandoned bus in Alaska! =/

But this isn't about dying due to naivete. It's about what the book contains. The book is jam-packed with very relevant information. And while you'll probably say "nah man I don't need that" or you'll lie to my face and say "yeah man I'll check it out" but never do, please, at least read a better description. It's a great piece to help deal with exactly this.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

But not enough about me.

Remove the word not.

I'm tired, okay?
Showing 1-15 of 17