ForumsSupport Forum[Answered] backup online saves

14 5116
blk_panther
blk_panther
7 posts
Nomad

how can I backup my online saves locally?

• 14 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Why would you want to. The online save feature is there so that you don't need to rely on your local save. I can guarantee that online saves are more reliable than local ones.

blk_panther
blk_panther
7 posts
Nomad

first: thank you for the reply

there are several reasons behind it.
a) I read that armorgames had no backups of the online-save feature [read that in these forums, some people complained that their saves were lost, mostly their own fault; still some moderator I think said that backups would be too space intensive (seriously? perhaps he was misinformed)]
b) I might want to play the game on a computer with no internet-access
c) I played and saved kingdomrush frontiers here (wasn't at kongregate at that time) and now I'd like to have the achievements on their site [without replaying the whole game]

off topic: you might argue that point c isn't important, I'll tell you why it is: I like kongregate more, because they have a filter for categories I like to play [strategy], which you don't; secondly I liked playing here, but if I can't transfer my save, I propably won't play here again with the online save feature, which is a strong selling point. Yes, mostly this is out of habit, and my noscript is better configured for kong than ag; make it possible that I have a great experience here and I might switch because ag has exclusive titles before the competitor

blk_panther
blk_panther
7 posts
Nomad

link to backup point a)

We've talked about a backup system, where we periodically save backups of your online saves, so in the case any of these things happen, you can restore it. Unfortunately that is a huge amount of data to be saving, so it isn't an option at the moment, but we will stay diligent in trying to think up clever solutions!
from boppins (Administrator)
blk_panther
blk_panther
7 posts
Nomad

I begin strongly missing an edit function

I can guarantee that online saves are more reliable than local ones.
this is argubly as it stands, but not if I make backups and you don't.

Also I want to emphasize that one might think it's good I can't port my saves to competitor websites, I might argue that I won't switch to ag if I can't
blk_panther
blk_panther
7 posts
Nomad

thanks unleashed
(fixed link here strategy games

blk_panther
blk_panther
7 posts
Nomad

oh yes, naturally I missed that you did fix it yourseld, thx again [and vote again for an edit function]

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

Not had problems with Online save but,Local saves i have a habit of when my comp goes slow of clearing all the history and cache. This normally works wonders for me when going on mmo's. I know that somewhere on our comps is where all the cache is stored. I can't work out which is the same i would like to save to my harddrive. If indeed it is just one file.

Note normally when playing these games i don't clear my cache until i completed that game but would like the option to do it when i like.

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

A backup system is still being talked about here, and I think we have a good solution to work towards.. but even if it existed today, it wouldn't work on Kong, since they have their own format for saves.

blk_panther
blk_panther
7 posts
Nomad

Thank you for this answer.
So if I play here in the future, I'll use the local save, that I can port to kong. I'll keep an eye on the progress of the save feature. ty again

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=blk_panther]b) I might want to play the game on a computer with no internet-access
c) I played and saved kingdomrush frontiers here (wasn't at kongregate at that time) and now I'd like to have the achievements on their site [without replaying the whole game]]

So if I play here in the future, I'll use the local save, that I can port to kong.

You're talking about downloading games, and using the savegame elsewhere. That's just not possible.

Also I want to emphasize that one might think it's good I can't port my saves to competitor websites, I might argue that I won't switch to ag if I can't

I'm not aware of any flash game site where it is possible.

(Wannabe geeks might try fooling around with transporting the associated LSO's, or "flash cookies," but I've yet to see evidence of that actually working. In fact I don't know that they can be transported between games associated with different sites. I reckon it's quite possible they won't be able to interact, so are bound to that site.

Of course with online saves, there are no such LSO's, to begin with. A few games here allow for moving offline to online saves and (I think) vice versa, but again it remians to be seen if they'd be transportable to other instances of that game. I very much doubt it, and again have never heard of anyone actually doing so. You'd think that if so, some clever folks might occasionally step in to comment that yes, they can, & here's how to do it.)
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

^ Hm, and sorry for the post layout going haywire there. I guess it's readable with some goodwill.

devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

That would take some time.I think they have another things to do first.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

... And so as confirmed by Boppins here, sorry I'd overlooked it just now, and I had figured something like that:

[quote=Boppins]it wouldn't work on Kong, since they have their own format for saves.[/quote]

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Pft,

I know that somewhere on our comps is where all the cache is stored. I can't work out which is the same i would like to save to my harddrive. If indeed it is just one file.

What gets stored in your cache doesn't equal the full game, I don't think. The LSO/flash cookie in turn I reckon stores just the necessary data to know where you're at in the game.

Neither of these make for a full downloadable and so transportable game, that I'm aware of.

Note also where that W'edia article mentions that:

Adobe Flash Player does not allow 3rd-party local shared objects to be shared across domains. For example, a local shared object from "www.example.com" cannot be read by the domain "www.example2.com".[1]

Although I'm not quite sure what they then mean when they say:

However, the first party website can always pass data to a third party via some settings found in the dedicated XML file and passing the data in the request to the third party.

It does indeed remain to be seen if sites (and if I am reading that right) would want to open up their content in that way to competitors, though.
Showing 1-14 of 14