ForumsWEPRCould games predict the future?

26 13445
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

*This topic is based on a Game Theory episode

Could games really predict the future? C'mon they're only video games........... BUT, are they only video games?

What do you think?

post opinions pls.

• 26 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Could games really predict the future?

Yes, in a sense. It would be more acurate to say that games can depict their creators' predictions. The problem is they aren't very good predictions.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I mean, anything could predict the future.

The real question is, can they -accurately- predict it.

And I mean really accurately predict it, not some Nostradamus BS

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Is something like this what you mean by predicting the future?

http://dashburst.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/JQjJEln.jpg

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Is something like this what you mean by predicting the future?

In this case the future might very well have been inspired by Star Trek.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I also watched the episode. If memory serves, one game was created years before 9/11 where two important skyscrapers built together were blown up by projectiles. I forget the rest, though.

It's easy to think that games could predict future occurrences. After all, video games are in the top 5 for where ideas happen (well they adopt the ideas from writers, but bleh). As Pang said, the video games could likely not predict the events fully. The only thing we saw from above was the result that was similar, but the causes were from completely different situations.

However, that Star Trek thing is spooky. They even predicted the use of a shoddy product D:

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I also watched the episode. If memory serves, one game was created years before 9/11 where two important skyscrapers built together were blown up by projectiles. I forget the rest, though.

9/11 was inside job..confirmed. gg government
kingjac11
kingjac11
2,597 posts
Nomad

If games could predict the future not all games could do it.For example if fallout came true many other games couldn't come true.There also several games with alien species but not all of them could come true.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=pangtongshu]9/11 was inside job..confirmed. gg government[/quote]

Zeitgeist, the movie debunked

[quote=Freakenstein]I also watched the episode. If memory serves, one game was created years before 9/11 where two important skyscrapers built together were blown up by projectiles. I forget the rest, though.[/quote]

As I somehow feel you'll agree, it doesn't take a genius to think of the possibility of doing so. Indeed, various secret services and the likes seem to have seriously considered the possibility for years.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps

Zeitgeist, the movie debunked.

Or, this classic for short:

There is no 9/11 conspiracy you morons.

(To expound, i too was one to swiftly assume it must have been so. But so far the debunkers' debunkers have me convinced.)
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

MacII u r jst sheep u ned 2 luk at the evidence and think 4 urself

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I take it that's a lulz, Pang Certainly taken as such.

Meanwhile,

Could games really predict the future? ...
post opinions pls

Sorry for being my spoilsport old self, but what exactly is there to have an opinion on?
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

I don't really think games COULD predict the future but they might influence it.
AFAIK ( as far as I know for those who don't know ) I've heard that BF3 ( or COD? ) series were banned in a country because they were showing constant attacks/assaults on terrorist groups.

Maybe those countries could see this as an insult and a reason for which to start a war.
Just saying.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

either "yes" or "no"

Pretty much sums it up yes, to me.

Anyways: Do kindly continue. By all means
R1a2z3e4
R1a2z3e4
116 posts
Shepherd

Some games are inspired from the future. Future can also inspired by the games

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Some games are inspired from the future

You mean as when Arnie was sent back to code PacMan before it was too late?
Showing 1-15 of 26