ForumsThe TavernLanguages

54 11475
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Hola! Ñ...а Ñ...а Ñ...а.
Translation: Hi! Ha ha ha.

Welcome to the languages thread! Everything language based and how we communicate using a beautiful language will be talked about here. Grammar of languages, best language, translating between languages, and anything that can somehow be related to a language is welcome here.

Now for a few questions to start off the thread:
If you could learn 1 and only 1 language what would it be?*

What language do you believe is the most useful to learn and which will be the most useful in the future?

*In addiction to your first language. If you know more than one language than you can still pick another.

• 54 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

To illustrate the subjectiveness of its formal definition (which, yes, you posted):

The reason why I linked it is because it describes the older version of Spanish: that of the central region. That is, indeed, at least an attempted confirmation of what I said I hope. Also, it says that the term can be used to differentiate from Latin-American Spanish (as in, influence by such culture to insinuate a need for individualization in nationalities).

I am still looking for a confirmation of the Venezuelan/Argentinian effort I had mentioned through the Internet.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

And I believe this confirms my final point. It says something along the lines of "The language is referred to as castellano, seldom Español." And as you'll notice, Wikipedia's claim of the national language is de facto. I'm not sure if that's enough but I will keep looking if you would like more.

If there is anything I missed, feel free to point out.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I dunno, Salvidian, I remain unconvinced so far. I reckon it's a question of nuance we are looking at, of "focus" as that person in their dissertation (Hye-Yoon Chung, in the first link you gave. I've honestly only glanced over bits of it) calls it. Not of distinct (forms of a) language(s).

But I guess at this stage we can just gracefully agree to disagree Cheers.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

That's actually a very disrespectful thing to say, haha.

Just cause you are in Spain at the moment...

But really, you know I am kidding. I am just part Mexican and all my friends that speak fluent Spanish are part Mexican.
lauradanemo
lauradanemo
3 posts
Farmer

I think the most useful language besides English would be Chinese. You'll never know when they'll conquer the world.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

If you could learn 1 and only 1 language what would it be?

Russian. Would be a good challenge.

What language do you believe is the most useful to learn and which will be the most useful in the future?

Mandarin. I think China is gonna grow bigger than the USA one day.

I would like to also learn German but I don't have the time for that. Speaking Portuguese, English and Spanish is good enough.
minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

I am still looking for a confirmation of the Venezuelan/Argentinian effort I had mentioned through the Internet.

I'm argentinian , in what do you need a confirmation ?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'm argentinian , in what do you need a confirmation ?

What would say the national language is?

But I guess at this stage we can just gracefully agree to disagree Cheers.

Alright then.
Showing 46-53 of 54