ForumsWEPRUkraine Asks for US and Britain's Help in Crimea

52 27581
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Short snippet here:

I read that^ and there's likely a more-detailed version out there, but for the gist of it, Ukraine feels that the Russian force's actions in the Crimean region is a full-on invasion and the government is asking for the two countries' help. Help as in military action. If either of these two countries agree and decides to send their military to deal with Russia, this could end up being very, very ugly in the future. Let's get some more History/Foreign Policy-savvy people in here for discussion.

• 52 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

(actually if you could tell me what news stations and such that you like, that would be beneficial to me. It would expand my horizons for my Global Issues class. So please, drop a comment on my profile or something)

It's good to try and pull from a number of sources. Generally the one that will likely get you "laughed at" is using Fox, but there can be exceptions.

Anyway thanks for the updates.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I don't know what kinds of news you guys trust, but I prefer BBC.

At the moment, I seriously don't know of any news sources that I trust on the issue.

One could be told pretty much just anything on it; and in fact, that's precisely the feeling I get we are. Lots of propaganda and white noise from all sides, and little by way of facts, or objective informed opinion and analysis.

I guess in any event, these events tend to run away with people, even those in power. On the other hand, who knows and it may be largely forgotten as just another blip in history in a few months' time.

Anyone heard of things in Syria of late? Seems to have suddenly pretty much fallen off the radar. (Rather surprising, given Russian interests in that particular matter. But I guess arguably it would be taking things a little far for y'r average news program.)
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

One could be told pretty much just anything on it; and in fact, that's precisely the feeling I get we are. Lots of propaganda and white noise from all sides, and little by way of facts, or objective informed opinion and analysis.

Well while a lot of the articles and stuffs provide a grain of information among the ocean of blank words, it still seems kinda important to at least try to stay updated.

I wanted to bring up Syria but I figured I shouldn't try to hijack the thread and just turn it into a "Current Issues" type of thing. I think the crisis in Syria has become stale because everyone realizes that the UN is kinda pointless because it can't give any new sanctions because the &quotresident" will just ignore them. What they want/need is a new government, but who is to say what type of government they should form? It's not like any country can impose that upon Syria.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I think the crisis in Syria has become stale

Yes; except for the people in Syria, one suspects.

I'm not arguing against you, mind I just can't help but note the desperate cynicism, the utter immoralism and hypocrisy and what have you, of the times we live in. Not as if that were anything new... But what is one left with to say, indeed.

Keep yourselves informed, as best you can, yes sure.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Ah wonderful, people are asking for US's help.

I have conflicting feelings on this. Crazy right? I mean..it's not US has received backlash before for trying to help other countries..

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

it's not US has received backlash before for trying to help other countries..

We "mean well", but the most of the time it results in two ways:

1. We end up catalyzing aggression in the process

2. It returns as Blowback later, the example being "US providing financial aid and weapons to Osama bin Laden in 1979-1989 via Operation Cyclone. Turns out he would be the guy we would spend 10 years tracking down soon after he uses the financial aid to found Al Qaeda.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I'm not sure about this lady's pro-American stance (if that is what she has. I honestly just came across this, haven't looked into it that deeply yet. What I can certainly relate to is her stance and driven by personal history on the USSR's invasion of Hungary!), but either way here's a woman with balls: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/05/exclusive-rt-today-anchor-liz-wahl-explains-why-she-quit.html .

Cf. also the recent Abby Martin affair.

Russia Today, incidentally, is in my TV package. I've been thinking of late hmmm lemme check what they have to say, and it's um disturbing. As is the way they seem to just glance over the issue if they can, or did when they still could. Or maybe I was tuning in at the wrong times, who's to say.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

See this is good. I didn't know that Russia Today even existed. I want to be able to watch these news stations and stuff that are lying and twisting the truth, so I can attempt and sift out the real details. I know it's silly and I can never really be sure to trust any information, but somewhere among the handful of various stations I pull this from, there has to be a shred of truth. And hopefully that shred of truth is the little facts that are shared across the board.

Yes; except for the people in Syria, one suspects.

It's quite infuriating, isn't it? I mean what are we supposed to do? Go in and kill Assad? What then? Who will step up and create the new form of government that will cater to their lifestyle? We can't help them out there. Even if we did kill Assad, we can't stay over there and continue to make sure no one else like him comes into power. I personally would rather have Assad completely ousted and at least have a chance at having a better leader, but I do not know what exactly is going on. I just know that the rest of the world is just looking in at the slaughter. If we interfere like that again, what happens to the rest of the Arab world? All of these countries that control the oil we consider so precious can go up in flames because of revolts and revolutions. I hate to sound like it's a conspiracy and such, but everyone knows it all comes down to money.

sigh. This is why I try to stay out of the world affairs and such but I'm trying to get over that. I just feel so helpless about it all.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

The US military is like a negative Midas. Anything it touches turns into a mess. This is why there won't be a military intervention.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

They did so in Georgia; they do it in Chechnya, and other such unruly Caucasus regions and elsewhere. And they must be well-aware of all they can get away with. How far they'll be willing to push those stakes would IMO be anyone's guess, indeed.

Those places are not/were not under NATO protection. Unlike western Ukraine which seems to spark NATO's interest. I doubt Russia would fight against the world. It would make no sense. .
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The Crimeans want a referendum to secede and unite with Russia.

That escalated quickly.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

This Sunday will be when Crimea votes on a referendum. More info here
And this is a really interesting article as well.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

It looks like over 90% voted for rejoining Russia.

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Aaaaand the USA and Canada are not happy about the results of the referendum.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Yey, another world war! This war might unite humanity as one.

Well, basically if there's military action. It's ugly and a nation would lose a navy. So, the only solution is diplomacy. But, if we use diplomacy, we might not regain Crimea. So, which is the better option.
Showing 16-30 of 52