ForumsWEPROf Frats, Rape Culture and #TFM

47 26825
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

So... here's another one of those articles a friend of mine posts on fb that I don't feel like burning bridges over.

What do you all think is the reason behind the supposedly high incidence of frat boys being involved in rape cases? What's the real problem here? Can it be fixed? I've got a few thoughts, but I'll wait to see if the thread catches anyone's interest before I start rambling

• 47 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Yes, it was a joke. I forgot the xD mark at the end to signify that.

Wasn't a very good joke..

Keep In mind that I get most my info on things from Direct TV channel 246 (Tru TV). Shows like World's Dumbest, South Beach Tow, and Impractical Jokers are my main source of knowledge on the world of today.

You might want to rethink that being your main source of knowledge
hezdog
hezdog
151 posts
Peasant

These are adults. It is their responsibility to NOT get drunk at a party and risk being sexually assaulted.

Feminists would call this "victim blaming" which it is. I agree with feminists in one sense that when a women gets raped that she should not be somehow blamed for the actions that someone else did. On the other hand if I were an attractive young woman I would never get drunk around many young men who I have no intention of sleeping with.
As you can see here there is a bit of a grey area where society needs to decide what change; our attitude towards women, the way women act, etc.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

It is their responsibility to NOT get drunk at a party and risk being sexually assaulted

It is more so the responsibility of the other person to NOT sexually assault someone.
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

It is more so the responsibility of the other person to NOT sexually assault someone.

I'm yes and no at this one. Because, sometimes, women yell "I got raped!'' but they just said that to get fame. One example is the case of Vhong Navarro and Deniece Cornejo. Well, both sides of the story were equal in words but Vhong got beaten up and screwed by threats, while Deniece claimed that she got raped by him. The verdict: Both of them are to blame. Why, Vhong has been cheating and Deniece just wants a lot of money.
Plus, why do such a thing? You can get pleasure by consensual intercourse and you can gain a lot of money if you get a job and work for it! Im really very sorry if I offended someone BUT c'mon, some women are too feminist and ambitious and some men are unfaithful and too much of a sex maniac.

references about the controversy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vhong_Navarro#Assault_incident
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

There was a case where a college girl let a guy in her dorm room. She supplied a lot of alcohol and they both got very drunk. At some point, they had sex. She may or may not have passed out moments prior to it, depending on whose story you ask. She claims it was rape because she passed out; he claims it was consensual and swears she was awake. Who is to blame?

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

well I might lean towards there being no proof and no case.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Who is to blame

The college girl. Because, why let a guy go to her dorm room. It is also the fault of a guy. Because, why go to a girls room? Anyway, both of them are to blame.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

There was a case where a college girl let a guy in her dorm room. She supplied a lot of alcohol and they both got very drunk. At some point, they had sex. She may or may not have passed out moments prior to it, depending on whose story you ask. She claims it was rape because she passed out; he claims it was consensual and swears she was awake.

As Sonatavarius stated, there really is no case. It is his word vs hers. They both consumed alcohol, so using that in defense of one is a moot point.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

(at least to me) especially if it was her apartment and her alcohol. it's one of those things I mentioned in another post earlier on. I'm not sure how you can get old enough to buy and consume alcohol and not know that consuming alcohol in excess (or even a little) works towards decreasing your inhibitions (frontal lobe). People get handsier and more forward about sexual relations in that sort of atmosphere. I can't guard you from trouble. I can only prosecute the person that hurt you if you have a legitimate case. Fortune favors the prepared (or at least those who acknowledge that bad things could and probably will happen if they go about doing certain things)

hezdog
hezdog
151 posts
Peasant

If two people were both drunk and have sex they could technically both claim the other person raped them.

Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

The frat culture does encourage excessive consumption of alcohol in order to increase the likelihood of sex. This is probably not a great thing, and just like anytime when people drink too much, it often leads to problems. I don't know what can be done about it, but in these cases there is usually blame to go around.

I once saw a girl at a college house party drinking (chugging really) straight from a handle (large bottle) of vodka, and talking smack about how weak the drinks were. The next day, I overheard this same girl telling people that she had been drugged at that party. This is clearly a crazy person, but i think its a funny and relevant story.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

You should've tell her this, "Eat that you skank! You don't handle responsibility well." LOL (this is a joke so don't)

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

The frat culture does encourage excessive consumption of alcohol in order to increase the likelihood of sex.

Not always
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

A girl reached the age of consent in her state and consented to sex. At some point during, she says "stop", he immediately pulls out. She claims the fractions of seconds between her command and him being out counts as rape. Does it?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

She claims the fractions of seconds between her command and him being out counts as rape. Does it?

In my eyes, not rape. He was adhering to her request to stop.
However, I do believe, unless I'm mistaken, that a strong case can be that it was rape.
Showing 16-30 of 47