ForumsThe TavernSuperstition

19 5510
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

"The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits, but not when it misses."
~Francis Bacon

Say what you may Mr Bacon, but it's an irrational habit of mine to indulge in a superstition or two, out of habit perhaps. :P I avoid ''jinxing'' things by never predicting the best results, I'd never say that my football team is going to win easily for one. I know it's stupid, and even harmful, but oh well.

And I've always avoided stuff that excessively revolve around the number 4, it sounds like the Chinese word for death.

Do you guys follow any superstitions, no matter how wild they are? Thoughts on them?

• 19 Replies
kylefitch1
kylefitch1
100 posts
Jester

1. Because my mom got a master's in psychology, and she agrees(You saying my mom is wrong? You better not be, I have high loyalty). And because nobody knew what I had until I was like 6. And because I messed up about their degrees, they got doctorates.

2. No, the objection was to the fact that I said I have OCD. Which is the condition of my brain. MattEmAngel brought up OCD first, but I'm not blaming him here. I'm just saying I'm not the only one here. I was trying to help StormWalker, and I get criticized. I love being criticized for trying to help*sarcasm*! I'm used to being criticized and all, a few years of that might make one used to it, but being criticized for trying to be helpful? I guess I'm still not used to that yet. Oh well, a couple MORE years should do it.
*sarcasm*Thank you for your concern.*sarcasm*Goodbye!

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Wholly irrelevant Batman! You've completely misunderstood everything... Absolutely everything. This isn't about who mentioned it first. StormWalker was not under attack. You were not being criticized until you brought criticism upon yourself.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

. Because my mom got a master's in psychology, and she agrees(You saying my mom is wrong? You better not be, I have high loyalty).

Well..if your mom said so..

Little things, like always making jewelry symmetric, always saying the same thing before bed, etc. etc.

To clear things up, these things may hint to OC tendencies, but such minute actions are doubtful for OCD.

-----

To make my post relevant...before most CrossFit workouts I tend to do like lil bunny hops while the timer counts down before starting. Just feels like it helps
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

What about affecting the past? I'd be interested to find out if people exercise the same superstition for things that have already happened.

Meaning?
Showing 16-19 of 19