ForumsWEPRThe morality of evangelical actions?

4 4468
Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

Despite it's name, it is NOT tailored for christian evangelicalism, but it stretches to all religion, non-religion, belief and disbelief that had ever existed in this planet.

I'm not asking if evangelicalism is automatically justifiable or not, rather I'm asking these questions:
1. Is it morally permissible for other persons to spread their beliefs in any way?
2. would any evangelicalism be spitting on the face of inter-religion tolerance?
3. Is "our" ( denoting believers and adherents to any kind of religion and belief ) religious books really contradicts what a "deity" would want them to do?

Another morality thread, since i had never found anyone that discussed this before.

• 4 Replies
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I would argue that it is morally permissible to talk about your religion to others, but not to make statements about why your religion is > their religion. I do not believe this interferes with religious tolerance since you are just stating what you belief rather than trying to destroy (that feels like the wrong word, but w/e) theirs.

As for point 3, I don't quite know what you are saying.

~~~Darth Caedus

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Probably.

Inter-religious tolerance is dangerous. It waters down your own religion

I disagree, because I believe people shouldn't be protected from their own stupidity. You can share information, but enforcing your beliefs on others makes them even more devalued, as it should hold that only belief that is your choice has strength. It's fine to tell others that they must do (x) to be rewarded, but it must be accepted that people may not believe as you do. If you don't, you would be turning to a path of religious extremism.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Despite it's name, it is NOT tailored for christian evangelicalism, but it stretches to all religion, non-religion, belief and disbelief that had ever existed in this planet.

You cannot evangelize with disbelief.

1. Is it morally permissible for other persons to spread their beliefs in any way?

If by "any way" you mean "any way they can", I would have to say no, as that includes forced conversion, assimilation, indoctrination, and genocide.
If by "any way" you mean "some way, if any", I would say yes, as it is possible to spread word of your beliefs without trying to force it upon them.

2. would any evangelicalism be spitting on the face of inter-religion tolerance?

No. It just unintentionally makes things more difficult when you have more than one religion.

3. Is "our" ( denoting believers and adherents to any kind of religion and belief ) religious books really contradicts what a "deity" would want them to do?

Not necessarily, because we are talking about conceptual entities. If the holy book states in no uncertain words that its associated deity wants certain behaviour, the religion based upon it will have to hold that belief.

For example, I am a Baptist Christian. As such, I believe that salvation is the only way to Heaven (admit you are a sinner, believe Christ died for you and rose again, call upon him to save you), and that the unsaved are going to Hell.

But according to the other Abrahamic faiths, you would be the one who is doomed to Hell. If you preach the doctrine of your particular faith, you risk taking others with you. This is presumably the same view that you would have of their evangelists' (or whatever they are called) attempts at conversion. It is the same conflict of beliefs that fueled the "holy wars".

How, then is inter-religious intolerance any less dangerous?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

It is fine to discuss about your beliefs, to talk about your beliefs with all your friends, in the hope that they might change their mind. It is not okay to want to change everybody's minds and to consider those who don't agree with you as anything lesser than you.

It is surely hypocritical to claim tolerance of other beliefs and yet trying to convert everyone.

So which is more important? Telling people about Christ in the interest of them going to heaven, or not telling people in the interest of not offending those of other beliefs?

As already mentioned, you can talk to people and present your concerns about what your beliefs say happens when they do not agree with you. If they change their mind, good for you. If they don't, you gave it a try anyway and should not feel any guilt. You can be convinced of the truth of your beliefs and show it without going on everyone's nerves. Trying to make people feel guilty by calling their beliefs wrong and swinging the 'hell' club is not right.
Showing 1-4 of 4