ForumsGamesGemcraft CS: Tombs Questions (Not skill tombs)

7 2375
Dirk25
Dirk25
33 posts
Jester

I opened one once while dealing with a shadow that could do nothing to my orb.

I died in under 10 seconds. Before so, I got a glimpse of the HP of these guys..

155,825 to around 190k.

So the question is... how does once deal with these?

I don't think I can get Poolbound gems (White) Not a premium owner. That would seem like the way to go... let the Mana pool just build up since the (by making a Shadow spawn and defend the orb), Till I can deal enough damage.

• 7 Replies
Astroshak
Astroshak
268 posts
Peasant

Frankly, at first, one ignores them. You have to specifically target it to open it.

Later on, when you have the skill levels to deal with the monsters, all it takes is just a high powered gem like you would normally use.

As far as I know, White, Black, and Red skills are denied you if you are not premium, so you are stuck praying that the stage has those 3 colors, or at least offers them as a gem. If the stage in question has White or Black, and you have Yellow, you can make some fairly high-powered single target gems by combining Yellow with one of those colors - White, ideally, unless you plan on taking the gem higher than Grade 30 or so. Many, but not all, stages that I've seen offer red, so you may be able to add a dash of Red into that Yellow/White gem allowing it to hit more than just one monster per shot.

At high skill levels, with a decent amount of Chain Hit in your Yellow/White gem, you will be able to mow down monsters with that many HP with ease. So how do you deal with them? Come back when you are a higher level, with higher skills.

fractalman
fractalman
636 posts
Nomad

Which map was THAT? O.o that's a lot of hp for a tomb monster. most have at most 2-4k hp...except the giants, those sometimes reach 100k hp, but they're pretty slow so they're not that big a deal.

Dirk25
Dirk25
33 posts
Jester

J2 Fractal Looming, No traits

Also noted.

callmeishmael
callmeishmael
57 posts
Nomad

Not sure which gems are available on J2 if you aren't premium so I whipped up an OY, put it in a tower, and surrounded it with Y in the amps. I angered as soon as possible with only four G1s per wave and by wave 23 I had my killgem up to g10 and the amps at G7. I busted open one tomb and used Freeze and Beam to dispose of the monsters then I busted open the next tomb and did the same.
Hope this helps.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

OY is bad. Compare the G1s orange & yellow, the orange has about 35% less damage, at least in a G1 0 skill comparison. Use any other color, preferably blue if Blk/W isn't available to get the dual gem bonus. Blue also has the highest unmodified base damage of all colors, with I think black, then white, then green, then purple, then yellow, then red, then cyan, then orange following.

Make separate O tower using supergem method(beam ignores firing speed), use beam, easy farm.

Astroshak
Astroshak
268 posts
Peasant

WROY is decent if you are coming back to a stage at high WL's and just want to plow through it quickly for SC. 1R, 8Y, 7O, 16W grade 1 gems all combined into one grade 6 gem, in a tower surrounded by 8 dual OY gems. This allows you, at high skill levels, to amass a lot of mana while killing everything with ease, just running around hitting U on your gems a lot.

OY is a bad combination for anything else, however. If you are attempting a manafarm, the O in the gem dilutes the killing power, and the Y in the gem dilutes the mana leeching power. That is why when farming you want to keep your farming area and your killing area (tower or trap) separate.

For pure killing power, you want a Yellow/Black (or Yellow/White) gem with just a bare hint of Red. For manafarming, you want an Orange/Black (or Orange/White) gem with just a bare hint of Red. Using White makes a gem that is initially stronger, but using Black instead gets you a stronger gem in the end. Using both White and Black is a weaker combination than just White at the start, and weaker than just Black in the end, so avoid combining the two. Adding additional other colors just dilutes the impact of the Orange or Yellow in the gem. Stick to alternating traps if you need to for your Slow, Suppression, Armor Tearing, and/or Poison.

callmeishmael
callmeishmael
57 posts
Nomad

I took OY because they were the first two colors. I figured that beating the tombs with a sub-optimal setup and excluding those gems unavailable to someone who didn't have the Pouch would be the best way to demonstrate that it could be done with fairly standard game play. To that end, although I'm at lvl1093, I built my initial setup with less than 2000 mana in the interest of duplicating the resources available to someone who wasn't at my level. Not everyone digs as deep into the game as some of the very knowledgeable commenters here.

Showing 1-7 of 7