Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Are white males portrayed as "wimps" by the media?

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:13am

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

662 posts

I've seen it all to often- a white male, usually very untanned and soft looking (as if to exaggerate the point), is made to look either wimpy, stupid, slow, or all of these things on a TV commercial. The person portrayed as intelligent and informed in such a commercial is almost always non-white or female. Before we continue let me state that I have absolutely nothing against non-whites in any way at all. Some of the nicest people I have ever known have been non-white. Now continuing on, do you think that there is or notice such a media-generated stereotype of white males? I find it difficult to think that there isn't; from car insurance ads to tech commercials I find it very annoyingly present  and lame. Now I obviously don't disagree that there are white males are like this, because there just are. But there are wimpy men in all races as there are strong men in all races.  Thoughts? Comments?

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:17am

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

No.

Where'd you get the idea?

last edited Jul 14 2014 01:20 am by Salvidian

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:34am

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

662 posts

Where'd you get the idea?

I have a feeling that you didn't read anything I wrote except the title. You probably then posted a hasty emotional response. Care to read what I wrote and retry? :)

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:39am

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I have a feeling that you didn't read anything I wrote except the title. You probably then posted a hasty emotional response. Care to read what I wrote and retry? :)

I read the whole thing. It's just that I've never noticed this and I was wondering where you got the idea from. 'car insurance ads to tech commercials' is not very descriptive.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:40am

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

662 posts

I am hesitant to post links to ads. That's against the rules I thought.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:42am

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

wat

It's against the rules to advertise something but you can't be blamed for posting a SFW ad that supports your argument.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:44am

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

662 posts

I'm looking up a few appropriate examples...please wait.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:45am

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Take your time. I'm in no rush.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:50am

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

662 posts

It seems that I can only find anti-nonwhite hate material for the moment. This stinks. I am just looking for the stereotype commercials that I see, not this crap. I'll try to just remember the commercials themselves and look them up on YouTube.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:52am

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

- Here's some

I'll make an argument against but it'll take a while.

Reply to Are white males portrayed as "wimps" by the media?

You must be logged in to post a reply!