ForumsThe TavernFirearms!

20 9696
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

So I noticed there isn't really a general firearms thread. I had attempted to make one in the past but I made the mistake of adding the element of polotics. This is about guns and only guns. Big guns, small guns, skinny guns, fat guns, short guns, tall guns, I'm calling all guns. Now everyone report to the gun range. Well I added a rap song reference and got bored. So what kind of guns do you guys have, which would you like to have? What questions do you have about firearms that others have used? Discuss here. So do any of you guys use an AK? Me I would like to get an Kalishnokov AK-47 Semi automatic. I would also like an M-40 and M-1903 Springfield. I think my favorite era for weapons was the WW-II era. I find my favorite calibers to be 308., 10 gauge, 45. acp, and 22. LR. 22. LR is hard to find and a little overrated but any person with experience can tell you that 22. LR is popular for a reason. So what about you guys?

• 20 Replies
Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

My family has A LOT of guns.
The one i like to use, and i completely love. It is a rather old Winchester Bolt Action .22 Long Rifle. This is the gun that i used once to hit the middle of the "P" in a Sprite can from about 200 feet. It was AWESOME!!!

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I have a Nerf gun where when the bullet shoots out it's air pressurized so it goes fast and hurts a lot.

Also I've shot a rifle before.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I have a Nerf gun where when the bullet shoots out it's air pressurized so it goes fast and hurts a lot. Also I've shot a rifle before

I don't know why but that made me laugh.
I remember the first time I shot a shotgun. It was a Remington 870 Pump action with wood stock and pump. I was 10 (I don't know if you've ever seen a civilian 870 but if your familiar with the hunting shotgun from Fallout:NV I can assure, Yes the gun is that big. It is the 870.) I was standing akwardly with shotgun resting to high on my shoulder. (Ever see somebody with a rifle stock sticking up about 2 inches over their shoulder, that's what I was doing.) I take off the safety and pump it (God I love the way it sounds) I was thrown back by the kick and I was standing on one leg. I was worried that the shotgun would get messed up if I dropped it so I had a pretty good grip on the pump and managed to keep my grip on it. Picture for a second this short little chubby Harry Potter looking kid with one leg in the air holding a shotgun with one hand. I had my glasses sorta halfway on/halfway off then I yelled. "I STILL GOT IT!" My brother and step dad laughed for a while.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

[...] which would you like to have?

Got to be a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle. The one with a compass and a thing that tells time built right into the stock.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Got to be a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle. The one with a compass and a thing that tells time built right into the stock.

You'll shoot your eye out kid.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Good point @MattemAngel. I only own a 22. revolver but between family and friends I get to use quite a few. Well I wasn't planning on posting any detailed lists but if I were it would be pretty boring. Oh well here goes.
Pump Master 760. .177 pump powered air rifle.
Beeman break barrel air rifle ( I don't know the model name.) 1,200 feet per second with 800 feet per second .22 caliber pellet conversion and 7x zoom scope. Solid wood body with rubber shoulder pad.
Spec Ops sniper, .177 break barrel air rifle. It isn't really mine my brother just left it at my house. It's over priced and unwieldy and any person who would ever buy one should seriously reconsider. It is ONLY made to look cool.
I have a 22. LR caliber H&R revolver with a nine shot cylinder. See I'm ok with posting a list of my firearms (Yes air rifles are legit firearms, they are good for small game hunting.) Because The only actual gun I have is very legal and it doesn't really matter who knows about it. Just an after thought, Why does my Beeman have a .22 conversion? I mean what am I gonna do with that? What will I be shooting at with an air rifle that can't go down with .177? Rabbits maybe?

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

When my Explorer Scout group holds events where I can shoot an air rifle(.77 calibur), I usually go. I'm fairly accurate. That's as much gun as I would ever want to use. Conventional firearms inspire fear and loathing in me, unless they are museum pieces.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I have experience with mostly handguns, namely Glocks, Berretas, 1911's, and revolvers. In addition to real guns also own several "guns" that include a Ruger Airhawk (air compression rifle) for destroying the pesky rabbits and ground squirrels that try to invade our garden, an airsoft pistol, and I had a BB pistol that got clogged with sand and no longer works.

Conventional firearms inspire fear and loathing in me, unless they are museum pieces.

You're certainly entitled to your own opinions and feelings, but may I ask why firearms inspire fear and loathing in you?
(.77 calibur)
Ahhhh, no. It's actually a .177 if I'm correct. A .77 would be a lot more gun and wouldn't be air-powered.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

It's actually a .177 if I'm correct.

Yes, you are. My mistake. It's been a while since I shot.

why firearms inspire fear and loathing in you?

Because they are especially deadly weapons that were/are built for killing. I'm not big on killing.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Because they are especially deadly weapons that were/are built for killing. I'm not big on killing.

People are built for killing. We have been predators a long time. Then again your point isn't really any less relevant but still firearms are a part of American culture, Well aside from all the vicious killing that has been done with them but hey.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

So does anybody here do any big game hunting? Me I've just taken out some squirrels and rabbits and the like. Since they are over populated and taste delicious and a can of pellets is relatively cheap and I'm dirt poor it isn't a bad source of food. Any way I got off topic, I don't think I would want to go big game hunting since if I screw up I would probably die, and when your safe enough to piss off a grizzly bear and not get killed you've stopped hunting and started murdering animals. Off subject again, Ok seriously though have any of you guys gone big game hunting? If you have what was it and did you get anything?

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

OOHH. Big game hunting! If my armatar didnt give it away already. I love big game. Only hunt deer because, other than bears (which i would never shoot, they scare me too much) are the only big games in my area. I have went big game in a while, but i mostly use a pump action .16 gauge Winchester shotgun. But i still prefer my nice little .22 long rifle.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

How can you manage to find 16 gauge shells? That's like trying to find .32 rounds. I think I saw like one pawn shop with both of those. I loved that pawn shop though. They had an autographed Gibson with all the names of the members of Metallica on it. Like the only thing they didn't have was .22 LR.

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

We have a lot of really old ammo, from like 50 years ago. So we have boxes on boxes on boxes of the stuff!

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Man, Omega! You are cool.
By the way, think hunting bears is scary? Try getting sneaked up on by a brown bear that's less than 10 paces away when you are fishing alone and unarmed at a river that's far away from civilization! That will make your heart rate go up some.

Showing 1-15 of 20