ForumsWEPRWhat Do You Believe In, And Why?

43 16273
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

There are many religious users on AG. There are also the irreligious. And there are those who don't care enough to pick a side. What or who do you believe in(God, Darwin, etc.) and why?

• 43 Replies
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Everyone-

What are your feelings towards Jehovah's Witnesses?

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

they are not allowed to advertise in my neighborhood cause they have their little church around the corner here.
so i'm cool with them. =P

anyway... just ask them if they want to buy drugs. and when they say no. try to push the deal just as hard as they try to push their deal =P. you both will be trying to give **** the other doesn't want... it's hilarious to see. xD
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Not any different than towards people of other religions, which aren't any different towards any random person or another.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Jehovah's witnesses? Same as all the religions; ignore them or tell them politely to leave if they come round preaching.

Crushmaster
Crushmaster
48 posts
Farmer

I believe in God.

Specifically, I believe a theistic God.

More specifically, I am a Christian who subscribes to the five solas and other essential doctrines, such as the Trinity. Conservative in theology. Baptistic.

I believe in God because everything has to have a creator. This is one of the laws of reality. God is the Creator of reality, thus He did not have one. If God did exist, we wouldn't be able to prove anything. See: Proof That God Exists.

I believe in a theistic God because we can see the goodness of God on display in our design - our ability to enjoy food, see beautiful things, create good things, hear good things. Some are unable to. This is because of sin.

The above and this are connected: I believe in Christianity because it adds up scientifically, historically, and internally (in the sense that it is consistent; the vast majority of so-called contradictions in the Bible, for instance, are easily explainable). I am conservative in my interpretation of the Bible because it is the most consistent and logical.

I am eternally grateful to the God Who saved me from my sins. The Gospel is powerful.

This is, of course, a basic overview, and not meant to be an in-depth defense of Christianity or anything approaching such. However, the first link does display the logical fallacy behind atheism.

liquidvenom13
liquidvenom13
82 posts
Shepherd
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Did I mention that I'm a determinist, and thus proof that a benevolant God exists and has a plan would be a logical reason to do whatever I wanted?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

@Crushmaster

The above and this are connected: I believe in Christianity because it adds up scientifically, historically, and internally (in the sense that it is consistent; the vast majority of so-called contradictions in the Bible, for instance, are easily explainable).

I would like to hear some examples, particularly of this scientific consistency. But perhaps not on this thread as I'm pretty sure that would derail things here.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Specifically, I believe a theistic God.

What distinction are you trying to make by saying this? Your first sentence, "I believe in God" already tells everyone you believe in the Christian god.

I believe in a theistic God because we can see the goodness of God on display in our design - our ability to enjoy food, see beautiful things, create good things, hear good things. Some are unable to. This is because of sin.

I am eternally grateful to the God Who saved me from my sins. The Gospel is powerful.

I find this belief incredibly sad. The implications of how you must view the world and what if those things were true meant would be a very dark and grim place.

I believe in God because everything has to have a creator.

It doesn't, but I'm not sure if this thread is for debating our beliefs or simply saying what it is we think.

As for me, I dislike labels. Everyone has their own assumptions on what they mean and it leads to a lot of confusion. It'd be a lot more productive if I answered questions on specific topics, so I'd like to propose one.

What does everyone think of morality?

I personally believe that morality is not absolute, but that there are things which you can call "good" and "evil" in context of goals to their intent or result. I would separate morality into two categories, relative and objective. Relative morality would be in context of your "group" and personal beliefs (what you think is right and wrong) and objective morality is how it affects anyone or everyone else without you being a factor.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

What does everyone think of morality?

Whatever we feel is moral, I do not believe it came from a divine being. I think it is patronizing to think that an honest man is honest simply because of a god.
Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

I believe in the existence of god. but not so much of other divine beings or other divine happenings. as to why, it's because my faith commands me to do so. period.

I believe in the pandemonic fate of most humans and are frightened by it. by pandemonic, i meant the event when we truly "die"; which is when every memory and signs of our own existence is gone for good.

I am a so-so naturalist, because i don't believe in the existence of any spiritual and supernatural being except god.

I am very Probabilistic in my very nature and i believe in the extreme luckiness that the world is as it is today.

I am an existential humanist. which means i believe that the true purpose of our existence is for knowledge and responsiblity to the ones we deem worthy for the act

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I believe in the human mind. The brain is the most amazing invention ever.
It can control the entire body while deciphering what the eyes see and allows us to learn, think and create.

Showing 31-42 of 43