ForumsProgramming ForumNew Programmer

128 44318
Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

I am Tookman, a high school student that doesn't have much experience coding games, but I have experience with just general coding, can someone give me the coding to a simple game so that I can study it to understand more about game coding?

• 128 Replies
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Well it really depends on what development environment you wish to get into. Some things out there such as Unity are already made with a game engine while others you will have to script the basic engine.

Basically what a game engine is, is a loop that takes in input, makes changes through some sort of logic then drawing the visual aspects of the game. The easiest way to think of a game, that is a video game, is a real time interactive movie, the basics of the engine is drawing each frame of the movie and having the ability to read input. Which is why frames are one of the big deals with good games

Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

Is there any programs for flash that I may be able to experiment with to learn more about programming?

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

FlashDevelop is a free IDE, you got to have the right java version and flex as well.

Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

What version of java?

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

when you download it it should tell you what you need to install. Java 1.6 or above 32 bit i think

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

HERE is the link for flashDevelop. Just in case

I would also like to offer my assistance as well. So if needed you can ask any questions. We will help. Also... welcome to the programing section

Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

cool, is there any minor game programs either of you can give for me to look at , study and alter?

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

I don't currently have any projects using FlashDevelop, you could just create a new as3 project then we can just build it as we go.

Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

cool so you would help me write a game?

Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

I want to be able to make a platform game like rogue soul 2 somewhere down the line.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

Awesome, it's great to reach for your favorite games, then you at least have a comparative standard that you want to achieve. Tho I myself have not created a platform game and wouldn't be able to give a well structured code for that type of game....

I can however go through step by step with you on how to make an avoider game. Its very simple I have already helped out another user make a similar type game, and they have moved on to different more advanced games since then.

Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

Yeah, okay, ill download software for games tonight... it's free right?

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

flashDevelop? Yes.

Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

sorry, I had problems with wifi that night, ill download as soon as possible

Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

okay, I got good wifi for a little bit and it is now downloaded! what next?

Showing 1-15 of 128