ForumsWEPRTithe

27 5161
gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

In the Bible God instructs us to give tithe to the church. I heard it was 10% of all of your income, but I could be wrong. I give tithe myself, but I am wondering whay you think about it.

• 27 Replies
Grey
Grey
281 posts
Nomad

An ancient, ridiculous concept.

Enjoy your cash-siphoning church.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

This isnt enforced by the church anymore. The only people that have it are weird cults like scientology. Dont worry about it.

gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

The church does not require it, yes, but I am giving some of my money to God. By giving money to God I am surrendering part of myself to Him. Make sense?

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I refuse to give my money to churches, because I would bet most of it is used towards fundamentalist causes. Instead I give money to the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. That way I know the vast majority of the money I give is to a good cause.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

whats with all the conspiracy theorys?no one has even bothered answering gman 1000's question directly.Look this is what I learned awhile back an official tithe is 10%, but you can give how every much money to the church that you think that you should give, but it wouldn't be considered a tithe exactly, but instead it would be known as an offering.That was what I was told, whether I'm right or not is up to you to decide.

Grey
Grey
281 posts
Nomad

There have been no "conspiracy theories" in this thread.

I think it would be a much better idea to donate money to a real cause, and not a church.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Look this is what I learned awhile back an official tithe is 10%, but you can give how every much money to the church that you think that you should give, but it wouldn't be considered a tithe exactly, but instead it would be known as an offering.
You're right. Ththe comes from the same root as tenth, and a tenth is 10%. this isn't mandated anymore except by radical branch-off groups who just want to control people.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

sry I didn't know what fundamentalist causes were.so I looked up the definition and that is not a conspiracy theory at all.sry about that.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

I refuse to give my money to churches, because I would bet most of it is used towards fundamentalist causes. Instead I give money to the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. That way I know the vast majority of the money I give is to a good cause.
Do you count giving to food banks and giving to people in need fundamentalist causes? You are very misinformed.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I have a feeling this is all going to lead to one huge arguement that will not resolve anything so lets not go down that road.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

I pay tithing just because it's the right thing to do. (About $3.50 bucks worth ahahha.) (Broke with 35$.)

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

dang devine, what do you work at mcdonalds or something?

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

i'd rather donate to a good cause,eg salvation army,at least i know that it's for good,but if i donate to a church,i do not know where to funds go,except for more facilities for the church,etc.unless there's donation drive,i will donate.

gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

At my church (non-denominational) our money does go towards good causes. It helps update the building. We have some set aside for missions to the U.S. and foreign countries. We help families who are in other countries for missions. We don't use it for bad things.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Given that I am in poor financial standing right now I can't afford to donate much of anything except my old clothes and things I don't need anymore.

But, when I do get out of this hump of bad finances I would think that those close to me are worth tithe. Say one of my close friends has a wreck with no insurance, I want to give my money to him.

Showing 1-15 of 27