ForumsWEPRDefine Respect in Your Culture/Country

36 17593
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

From what the title says, I just want to know what you would say is respectful and disrespectful. Whether it be from your point of view, or you culture and beliefs, your countries definition of respect. Is it behavior? Is it in actions? Is it in words? Does age matter?

Through what I've learned here in the Philippines, age is a huge part of respect. We hold our elder's hand to our forehead and say "Mano po" as a sign of respect. Though if age isn't too far apart, my generation believes that respect is earned. We don't like it when a kid acts rude towards their elders, we don't like it when people behave rudely.

There are a lot of cultures and different ideas, so I just wanted to ask.

• 36 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

In England, what is deemed appropriate is vastly different according to class, age, and region. Despite being a fairly small country, there are very different cultures place to place, and rivalries to match. (For US readers bear in mind that Britain is slightly smaller than Oregon)

Essentially though, this is a fairly good approximation of how we think polite discussion should be conducted:
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/7/1/9/enhanced-buzz-wide-13765-1372685755-18.jpg

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

What if he says

"Oh incidentally, that's not bad, and I hear what you say with the greatest respect, and I'll bear it in mind that I only have a few minor comments and I would suggest that you must come for dinner. It's a brave proposal, but it's quite good and very interesting, and I almost agree but I was disappointed about a few points and was wondering if we could consider some other options."

Where's your god(s) now?

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

"Oh incidentally, that's not bad, and I hear what you say with the greatest respect, and I'll bear it in mind that I only have a few minor comments and I would suggest that you must come for dinner. It's a brave proposal, but it's quite good and very interesting, and I almost agree but I was disappointed about a few points and was wondering if we could consider some other options."

If they say that, they are a politician.

twillight2
twillight2
413 posts
Chancellor

Tradition is bullcrap, and all elders are senile.

Of course you try not to offend others with your behaviour, but otherwise respect must be earned. Just because you're 100 years old, you don't deserve special treatment.
Oh, and truth can never be disrespectful.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Oh, and truth can never be disrespectful.
*Raises eyebrow at such a brave comment*
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I would say, a more narrow minded comment. Though, I wouldn't think that reflects the way your country or culture shows respect. I think it only reflects your own thinking of what respect might be to you, contrasting with how a lot of other people might really feel.

WHDH
WHDH
168 posts
Shepherd

Well tradition is reflection of your nations culture,your perents are also in that nation so that is their tradition and their culture, and if they raised you they surelly wanted you to have same tradition and culture at least as a memory at them.

What age do you consider as elder?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

What age do you consider as elder

Your elder is probably someone at least five years older than you, in my opinion.

twillight2
twillight2
413 posts
Chancellor

Well tradition is reflection of your nations culture

Ye, like burning people for witchcraft.
Tradition in itself is very similar to religion: waste of time, and potentiallly dangerous. Without telling the reason - in which case some might question if it is still tradition - tradition is just not something you should attach to unquestionably.

What age do you consider as elder

It doesn't matter. But we all understand what "old person" is.
Consider the original post, what said "we respect elders". This is without criteria, and likely gives more respect the older the person is.
The result will be, the absolutely senile, can not move-can not think 130 years old elder will be so respected as a god, and people will be killed for some mumbling of 'im.
Or even more likely "elder" people will just abuse the system, and demand respect, and oppress the youngers even when they are clearly mistaken.

This shows mindlessly respecting elders is a bad idea. Yes, they are survivors of age with plenty of experience. So they can be useful. But not necessarily. The age in itself should not give authority. Especially as age tends to make you accustomed to old habits which did work long ago, but the world changed, so they are no longer valid.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Ye, like burning people for witchcraft.
Bwhahahaha and what country are you from, eh? Does your country not have it's own past and some of it's own questionable traditions? I hark if such things are not true.

Tradition in itself is very similar to religion: waste of time, and potentiallly dangerous.
A narrow view. Just because you see religion as a waste of time doesn't mean it is for other people, it helps people get through hard times, it teaches people impotent life lessons and it has helped many many cities if not whole countries. Potentially dangerous? Really? You can say this about anything. Give a person a gun they may kill innocents, give a person a stick they may sharpen it and stab people, teach a person how to make a fist and they may hit someone. Everything is potentially dangerous. You can't say that that's a negative for something because everything has that potential.

mindlessly respecting elders is a bad idea.
Respect is to be earned, elders gain respect automatically do to the hierarchy that we live in. However, that respect can be retracted.
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

This shows mindlessly respecting elders is a bad idea. Yes, they are survivors of age with plenty of experience. So they can be useful. But not necessarily. The age in itself should not give authority. Especially as age tends to make you accustomed to old habits which did work long ago, but the world changed, so they are no longer valid.

No it shows you haven't aged long enough to experience what it is to know how things really work. Respecting an elder doesn't mean you to have to listen to them all the time. Also, people shouldn't look at elders to be useful, because they have given a great portion of their life for the sake of younger people. Second of all, the world changed because of them, and from what I see, the world is getting better slowly, from a historical point of view.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Tradition in itself is very similar to religion: waste of time, and potentiallly dangerous. Without telling the reason - in which case some might question if it is still tradition - tradition is just not something you should attach to unquestionably.

As long as it does not hurt anyone, I see no problem with it.

Consider the original post, what said "we respect elders". This is without criteria, and likely gives more respect the older the person is.
The result will be, the absolutely senile, can not move-can not think 130 years old elder will be so respected as a god, and people will be killed for some mumbling of 'im.
Or even more likely "elder" people will just abuse the system, and demand respect, and oppress the youngers even when they are clearly mistaken.

You are totally overdoing the whole thing while mistaking the word 'respect' for worship. Respect the elder does not mean 'heed their every word'. It just means you should not toss them away as used garbage, it protects old people and ensures they are still somewhat integrated into society.
twillight2
twillight2
413 posts
Chancellor

Respect the elder does not mean 'heed their every word'. It just means you should not toss them away as used garbage, it protects old people and ensures they are still somewhat integrated into society.

U r the 1 in mistake.

Respect means giving value to the thing respected.

What protects, and integrates old people to society is the fact that they are human. They are respected for being human. Not for respected for being old.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

U r the 1 in mistake.

R u srs?

What protects, and integrates old people to society is the fact that they are human. They are respected for being human. Not for respected for being old.

Ideally, yes. Sadly, there is a rampant tendency to treat elders differently due to their apparent lack of 'economic value', or worse, consider them a burden.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Respect means giving value to the thing respected.

Value ≠ Unquestionable Authority

No. Respect, in most cultures, is partially dependent on age. Few people would heed the advice of a sane eight-year-old over that of a sane elderly citizen, regardless of the soundness of the former.
Showing 1-15 of 36