ForumsForum GamesBattle for Vandea (Fallout style RPG)

104 22414
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

This is the thread where the RPG will actually be played. Combat will also be explained here. If you want to find out more about what this RPG is about, or sign up, please refer to the signup thread. Here is the link to the Signup thread:
Signup Thread

So let's get this started:

Combat: I will try to make this as simple as possible.

Ranged combat:

- You will many times be given the option to shoot your enemy from afar. This is the ranged combat. You fire a set number of shots with different ways (i.e. Suppression: Suppress the enemy squad)

- Depending on the number of shots you can fire, you roll an equal amount of 6-sided dice. This is the roll To Hit. Every time you can roll you will be given the number of shots you can fire, as well as the number you need to score, for those shots to hit (i.e. Fire at the enemy liberator squad: 10 shots (To hit: 4 or higher))

- Armor will often save you in ranged combat After the shots hit but before the rolls for critical hits, an equal amount of dice will be rolled. Depending on the armor, the shots may or may not be negated:
If the armor type is light: then the dice need to score a 6, for any shot to be negated!
If medium: 5+
If heavy: 4+
If Super heavy: 3+
For example: You fire 10 shots and 4 hit the target. So we will need to roll 4 dice, one for each shot, as a chance for the target to be saved by his armor. The target's armor is light, so only the dice that score a 6 will negate any shots! Out of the 4 dice, 2 are sixes, so the target has taken a total amount of 2 shots (4-2).

-Almost every weapon has some Armor piercing capability. If a weapon can pierce the target's type of armor, then the target is not allowed to roll for Armor saves.

-The shots that miss or fail to penetrate the armor obviously have no effect. The shots that hit can be rolled again for the chance to cause a critical hit. Critical hits double the damage these shots do but the number needed to score is always 6 (unless modified by abilities or other factors) For example: You fire 10 shots. Only six of those shots hit. One is saved by the target's armor. Then you can roll 5 dice for the chance to score a critical hit. Every six (unless modified) will cause massive damage to your enemy (damage X 2)!

- Many times, you or your enemies will be in cover. Cover works as a modifier in the rolls to hit and can be either "low cover" or "high cover". Cover modifies all your and the enemy's rolls to hit by -1 and -2 accordingly.

-Some types of shooting (i.e Suppression) will give a special effect to you, or your target like forcing him to stay in cover and prevent him from firing or moving, adding +1 to your "to hit" rolls, etc. Not all kinds of shooting are available with any weapon (for example you cannot use Suppression with a pistol)

-Ranged weapon types:

Sniper Rifle: Extremely rare, only certain enemies possess it. Damage: 45. Accuracy: +1 in "to hit" rolls. Able to pierce heavy armor. Suppresses enemies. Very low rate of fire.

Light Machinegun: damage: 20. Accuracy: - 1 in "to hit" rolls. Able to pierce medium armor. Can use Suppression to force the enemies to keep their heads down. High rate of fire

Assault Rifle: Often used by enemies, the assault rifle is a balanced weapon with a few weaknesses: damage: 15. Accuracy: 0, Able to pierce light armor. Can fire shots in small bursts to improve accuracy (+1). Lower rate of fire than the Light Machine gun

Pistol: damage: 10. Accuracy: 0 in short to medium ranges, - 1 in long ranges (will be noted when given the option to fire). No armor piercing capabilities. Can be used as a close combat weapon.

Flamethrower: Works differently than other weapons When firing in short range, user rolls 2 six sided dice and adds them up to determine the amount of hits! Damage: 20. Sets enemies on fire! Can pierce medium armor. Terrorizes enemies (reduced combat capabilities, more likely to run). In medium range, you only roll one six sided dice to determine the amount of hits.

RPG: Special weapon. Able to destroy cover and cause massive amounts of damage over a large area. Accuracy: - 1. Able to pierce heavy armor and Super heavy if it is a direct hit. Damage: varies

Close combat:

- Close combat functions using the same ground rules as ranged combat (You roll to hit, roll for armor saves, roll for critical hits and work out the damage)

- Obviously no cover can work here

- Some characters and enemies fight with two different close combat weapons. In that case, attacks are split (half are done with the one weapon and half with the other). You have to announce which weapon makes which attacks before you roll (for best results, when you roll, label that roll as "sword" or "axe" or the type of weapon you use)
Example: You can make 4 attacks with a sword and an axe. You roll 4 dices to hit, labeling two as "sword" and 2 as "axe". 3 attacks succeed in hitting, two sword attacks and one axe attack. Then you proceed to make the armor rolls for the target accordingly, (always remembering which dice respond to which weapon) and then roll for critical hits

- Special effects exist for close combat weapons as well

Close combat weapons:

Level 1: No weapons, only using fists. damage: 5
Level 2: Small knifes and blades. Pistols are also in this category. damage: 10
Level 3: Large weapons (mostly swords). Damage: 20. + 1 in "to hit" rolls
Level 4: Large weapons with additional damage capabilities (mostly axes). Able to pierce light armor. Damage: 30

Sorcery:

The destroyer cult starts with a fulll "bar" of magical power so there is no need to put it in their profile. (I am trying to keep the character sheet as simple as possible). After they use a spell, the bar depletes by a portion. They still don't need to put it in their profile, as they will always be reminded how much magical power do they have left. They will also always be given a choice after that: To refill the bar by a set (later on upgradeable) amount instead of firing or assaulting an enemy. If the bar is empty, they cannot use any spell.

Grenades:

Grenades and spells that count as grenades also need to roll to hit. Their effects are noted in full when the player is given the option to use them.

Q: So what happens if the modifiers require you to roll over a 6?
A: If for example you need a 5+ to hit, and the enemy is in high cover (-2), you keep every dice that score a 6 and then reroll it. This time, it only needs to score a 3+. If more modifiers are in effect like, the destroyer cult's bloody air, (Accuracy - 2) you apply these modifiers to the reroll, so, the dice that were rerolled would need in the same example to score a 5+.

• 104 Replies
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

3 hits to your men at the top floor and 5 to your men at the ground floor.

Armor saves (you need 5+):

TopFloor = 9

GroundFloor = 19

DICE RESULTS
9 = TopFloor
19 = GroundFloor
Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Name: Ominion
Bio: Wishes for everything needed to have peace. Will do anything required for it, for unknown reasons.
Faction: The Liberators
Weapons: Light Machine gun, Knife
Items: -
Skills: Accuracy, Heavy Armor
Health: 135/135
Purpose: 0/20

I supress them.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@Loop_Stratos
1 hit negated by armor at the ground floor

Rolls for criticals (6):

TopFloor = 8
GroundFloor = 13

Every liberator except you has a total of 80 health. So that makes for a damage of 45 to one member of your squad at the top floor and 60 at one member of your squad at the gound floor)

I'll let you have the honor if you'd like:

Every liberator fires 10 shots. So roll 50 shots for the top floor (Roll to hit needed = 5 + - 6 due to low cover)
Also roll 60 shots for the ground floor (roll to hit needed = 6 - reroll sixes - 3+ due to high cover)

Also, you fire 10 shots at the enemy so (Roll to hit required = 5+ - 6 due to low cover)

You cannot suppress them yet but you will be able to soon.

There is no need for enemy armor saves as your weapons pierce their armor. So any shot that hits can be rolled for a critical hit (number required: 6).

DICE RESULTS
8 = TopFloor
13 = GroundFloor
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

And also, everyone, please wait until I give you choices or tell you what to do. The post where I do that will be noted by an @ and your name afterwards. Thanks.

Now onto Loop's New order character:
@Loop_Stratos
Name: Randock
Bio: Born outside of Vandea and lives a peaceful life there. At age 22, he visited Neubian Democracy. Some time later, he visited Vandea and see how bad it is. He'd like to rebuild it, and a year later, he visited The New Order to do it, seeing Vandea's potential.
Faction: The New Order
Weapons: Flamethrower
Items: Grenade (x1)
Perks: Pyromaniac, Steel Body
Health: 145/145
Purpose: 0/25

As you climb on to the top fo building platform, you see at least 40 Blood Disciples in training in the pit below. You also find 2 propane canisters on the top. Here are your options:

A)You can light up the canisters and throw them down to the pit to do damage. This option will cause the least amount of damage but it will take less time.
B) Take the canisters (Your Items: Grenade (x1), propane canister (x2)) You can move to the right to use the truck. You will be able to light the truck on fire with the canisters and send it right in the middle of the pit where it will explode spectacularly. This will cause the most damage but will also leave you more exposed and for more time
C) Due to your skills with the flamethrower, you can take the canisters and use your weapon to torch the building platform. It will drop and cause damage to the Blood disciples but it will leave you exposed as you leave to any survivors
D) Go to the left and plant the canisters at the base of the heavy industrial crane. You can attempt to torch them and the base of the crane and hope it will drop. This option will cause the most damage, totally vanquishing the Blood disciples in the area. However, you are not sure if you can manage to actually drop such a heavy crane with just 2 canisters. And if they explode, the blood disciples will hear you.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@Darkfire45

Name: Archwez
Bio: His family was part of the cult and were murdered by The liberators. He barely managed to escape but swore revenge upon those who slaughtered his family.
Faction: The destroyer cult
Weapons: Pistol, Knife
Perks: Bloodlust, Blood Magic
Sorcery: Crimson Flames
Health: 100/100

You cannot move all of your squad to the first floor So they wait on the staircase between the second and the third floor as you move down.

You notice 3 Marked of chaos grunts at the first floor and a sign:

"History" It may be the floor you are interested.

Note that your squad members can use bloody air, in case it comes into battle.

What do you do?

A) Your choice. You can move down and attempt to search the bookshelves (a bit risky), order your squad to attack the Marked of Chaos on the second floor, quietly follow you one by one to the 1st floor staircase (a bit risky), tell half of them to attack the Marked of chaos on the 2nd floor and half the Marked of chaos on the 1st, pull a headshot to one of the marked of chaos and signal the rest of your squad and anything else I haven't thought of. Whatever you like.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Name: Ominion
Bio: Wishes for everything needed to have peace. Will do anything required for it, for unknown reasons.
Weapons: Light Machine gun, Knife
Skills: Accuracy, Heavy Armor
Health: 135/135

I try to hit them. I ask my men to do the same.

Name: Randock
Bio: Born outside of Vandea and lives a peaceful life there. At age 22, he visited Neubian Democracy. Some time later, he visited Vandea and see how bad it is. He'd like to rebuild it, and a year later, he visited The New Order to do it, seeing Vandea's potential.
Faction: The New Order
Weapons: Flamethrower
Items: Grenade (x1)
Perks: Pyromaniac, Steel Body
Health: 145/145
Purpose: 0/25

C) Due to your skills with the flamethrower, you can take the canisters and use your weapon to torch the building platform. It will drop and cause damage to the Blood disciples but it will leave you exposed as you leave to any survivors

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@Loop_Stratos

I'll let you have the honor if you'd like:

Every liberator fires 10 shots. So roll 50 shots for the top floor (Roll to hit needed = 5 + - 6 due to low cover)
Also roll 60 shots for the ground floor (roll to hit needed = 6 - reroll sixes - 3+ due to high cover)

Also, you fire 10 shots at the enemy so (Roll to hit required = 5+ - 6 due to low cover)

I asked you if you'd like to roll the dice for your men. Or would you like me to do it?

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

The latter. Rolls are confusing.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Got it. JACK and Darkfire, the same goes for you. Would You Kindly tell me whether you like to make your own rolls or you want me to make them automatically?

Topfloor1 = 68
Topfloor2 = 65
Topfloor3 = 41

GroundFloor1 = 67
GroundFloor2 = 72
GroundFloor3 = 75

DICE RESULTS
68 = Topfloor1
65 = Topfloor2
41 = Topfloor3
67 = GroundFloor1
72 = GroundFloor2
75 = GroundFloor3
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

10 shots from the Liberators at the top floor
10 rerolls from the ground floor (3+)

And here's your shots:
You = 36

Rerolls = 34

DICE RESULTS
36 = You
34 = Rerolls
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

2 of your shots hit + 10 from the rest = 12 + 7 from the liberators in the ground floor = 19

19 rolls for critical hits
Criticals = 54

One critical hit. That means you've caused a total of 20x18 + 40 = 400. 5 Marked of chaos got killed Congrats!

I will update this later today or tomorrow if everyone has finished with their choices

DICE RESULTS
54 = Criticals
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@JACKinbigletters I made a mistake in your choices. When you fire, you need to roll a 6, then reroll and get a 4+ to hit (just like your teammates) in your first choice. I posted the wrong roll to hit because I forgot you hadn't taken accuracy as a perk. Sorry. In the second choice you just need to get a 6, reroll and score a 3+ (again just like your teammates)

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Name: Corax
Bio: A child soldier he was beaten into a soldiers boots, he went AWOL from his unit and ran from the army he was part of. He drifted for a few years until he was picked up by another army who seemed to know more about his past then he did. After much persuasion he joined them and fought with them.
Weapons: LMG and knife
Items: N/A
Perks: Heavy armor, Vitality.
Health: 155/155

Enemies:
Ascendant thug x5
Health: 75/75
Weapon: Assault Rifle
Cover: Low cover x2, High cover x3 (lasts 1 turn)

C) "Men find cover and fire on the two to our left! Take them out!" I shout as I find something to set my LMG up on and start to suppress the three in deep cover. (Remaining squad: total of 35 shots Roll to hit: 6 - reroll - 3+) 20d6=74 15d6=60

Name: Markus.
Bio: Militarily trained in survival, a lone wolf who was trained to complete one-man operations deep behind enemy lines, bringing nothing with him besides a knife and a radio he would be sent into the wilds of Russia, Brazil, Australia, Africa to survive. From the radio he would have a support squad of a medic, a tech-analyst and his CO to give him new orders. He was primarily on black op missions, where your own government would "forget" about your existence if you were captured or killed. He was taken on loan to the government from the army and trained into counter-intelligence and intelligence gathering. His previous training made him one of the best. He was permanently moved into the government after the army publicly "disbanded" his unit.
Faction: The Observers.
Weapons: N/A
Items: Lock-picks, camera
Perks: Scavenger, Stealth.
Health 90/90
Purpose: 0/15

A) I quickly sprint over to the container and start to kick it, after two hits I attempt to find someplace to hid while they come looking.

DICE RESULTS
74 = 20d6
60 = 15d6
Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

OOC: I'll have you do the rolls.

Name: Archwez
Bio: His family was part of the cult and were murdered by The liberators. He barely managed to escape but swore revenge upon those who slaughtered his family.
Faction: The destroyer cult
Weapons: Pistol, Knife
Perks: Bloodlust, Blood Magic
Sorcery: Crimson Flames
Health: 100/100

I have the men split up and use bloody air on both the first and second floor. I then have everyone attack the marked of chaos on both floors whilst I assist with the attack on the first floor.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Right second roll 8d6=34 I am shocked at that roll.

DICE RESULTS
34 = 8d6
Showing 16-30 of 104