ForumsWEPRMoral

34 17707
WHDH
WHDH
168 posts
Shepherd

We an say what oral is, but some imes we don't know is something moral or not. So ask here.

Esemple:
Is it moral to kill someone and save other two by doing this?

• 34 Replies
twillight2
twillight2
413 posts
Chancellor

As defined before, morals is just acting according to a good/bad code.

And that's exactly what religion lacks (as I explained too). Religion is about following ad-hoc orders of the Füherer, whose orders are independent from good and bad.

They likely died very early, but they were still alive.

Nope. A fetus which never had a brain never was alive the first place.
Also, this starts to touch the issue of "what is life". Life is not a distinct category from non-life. See viruses, prions, abiogenesis.

I too grew to abhor the notion of eternity, but many people don't share this view.

Actually only those not share who never thought about what eternity means. Living for eternity means all your known ones are dead. Even the stars are dead. The last atom ceased to move. You did everything, thought everything up an infinite time, and yet you'll still exist. that is life for eternity. Worse than anything else possible to come up with.
Other: people want to "leave their mark" for the progress of future generations. And there is a wide abyss between remembered and existing forever.

Christianity. But it changed with society

Sorry, but last time I saw them they still had the same book with the same text, which also says "these are the neverchangeable words of The Lord of Hosts".
Xianity did not changed at all. It is merely oppressed, and for good reason.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

And that's exactly what religion lacks (as I explained too). Religion is about following ad-hoc orders of the Füherer, whose orders are independent from good and bad.

Religion has morals because it proposes a guide on what is right and what is wrong. Those ad-hoc orders you talk about are not independent from good or bad, because they are the guide to good or bad according to the religion.

Nope. A fetus which never had a brain never was alive the first place.

It was alive in the biological sense. Just as a random cell of your body is alive (except maybe dead skin cells).

Also, this starts to touch the issue of "what is life". Life is not a distinct category from non-life. See viruses, prions, abiogenesis.

If it isn't a distinct category, then why are you making such a fuss about it?

Actually only those not share who never thought about what eternity means. Living for eternity means all your known ones are dead. Even the stars are dead. The last atom ceased to move. You did everything, thought everything up an infinite time, and yet you'll still exist. that is life for eternity. Worse than anything else possible to come up with.

You're like Sheldon, not relaising that other people may think differently.

Sorry, but last time I saw them they still had the same book with the same text, which also says "these are the neverchangeable words of The Lord of Hosts".
Xianity did not changed at all. It is merely oppressed, and for good reason.

The book is not the whole of christianity. What is more important is the way christians practice their religion, and this changed continuously throughout history. While many of the bases are the same, saying it did not change at all is ignoring history.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

The Master Says So is not in the field of moral, because the system lacks reason.

That also is not what defines religion, so your point is moot.

THIS is the Ten Commandment in the Bible, not that random list you hear about in sunday-scools. There is no "do not kill" commandment here.

That has nothing to do with the point. Please actually read what you quoted.

So killing/murder according to that is way less a crime than eg. not believing in Yahwe, and by it the Bible is a propaganda calling to commit genocide, [...]

No, it isn't. You may as well argue that the Emancipation Proclamation is geared toward promoting slavery, because it does not itself decree the abolition of slavery.

Any other estimation makes the question obsolate - not worthy to pay any attention.

The fact that it doesn't fit your distorted world-view does not make it unworthy of attention. The afterlife is not inevitably portrayed as maintaining the same memories, personality and consciousness.

what is the reason for moral? To do things better.

No, it isn't. It's to prevent internal squabbles about what people are free to have and do. Religions have morals, and most of them work when people pay attention to them.

What does boiling a goat in milk have to do with anything?

It doesn't. That's why it isn't among their morals and shouldn't have been brought up in the first place. If you know something is irrelevant, you should not add it to the discussion.

as the commandments of the Slavemaster are ad-hoc, all religion's morality (used the word in the widest sense) originates from 1 basis: do as your superior orders.

1 They are not ad hoc. Ad hoc means either tailored only to a particular situation (which they aren't) or made from salvaged parts of something else (which they aren't).
2 Not all religions have those commandments. Not all religions have commandments. Not all religions have a god to play the part of "slavemaster" and give commandments.

A dead body is still a body.
And you definitely did not hear about birth-defects. like babies growing without brains. They have a body. But were never alive.

Quiz time:
What needs to happen to a body in order for it to be dead? That's right; Dying! But what quality is required for something to die? Right again! It has to be alive! Therefore, what is required in order to have a body that is dead? Correct! Life is what is required. Wow, you're smart.

As the consciousness/personality/memory are functions of the brain, YES, YOU DO.

Yet, as we've already established that they are not, in fact, brain functions at all, clearly you do not.

The rest of FishPreferred's comment are equally just empty denials, aka. trolling, so won't touch it. And other way of trolling, like "
A developing fetus is 'before birth'." where s/he tries to mislead the conversation.

So, again, rather than attempting to correct, or even deny, your truly ludicrous statements, you simply dismiss all mention of them. Good job.

My question here is, why would you make the effort to go into that heaven? I mean we're talking about eternal life, the most horrid concept in history. No matter where you spend an eternity, it is the most terrible thing anyone can come up with.

Because the only alternative (in that belief system) is supposed to be an infinitely more terrible eternity.

The religion that condones slavery, considers rape as marriage-ritual, advocates killing children, executing genocide, encourage thieving, glorifies murder, oppresses women, advocates killing homosexuals, and forbids "boiling the goat in its mother's milk" [...]

Does not exist.

[...] as the orders are not based on good or bad, but randomness and momentary ideas.

You cannot base something on randomness, and the orders you refer to are based on the secular ethical codes of the time.

1 Prions are single proteins. They don't have to be alive.
2 So, you are saying that viral life is on the table, but fetal life isn't?

Actually only those not share who never thought about what eternity means. Living for eternity means all your known ones are dead.

Not if they're also living for eternity, as a Christion would expect of any devout family member.
Even the stars are dead. The last atom ceased to move. You did everything, thought everything up an infinite time, and yet you'll still exist.

And many people find this notion appealing.

Well, we can see how well that turned out (MageGrayWolf found this, not me). Society changes, and religions change with it. This is something that no amount of phony Scostmem can change, by the way.
WHDH
WHDH
168 posts
Shepherd

Guys if you want to "talk" about religious themes such as life after death I can make another theam for it. OK?

Showing 31-34 of 34