ForumsWEPRIs Determinism Underrated?

45 18672
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

@aknerd made a thread on this topic some years ago, but it didn't receive much attention; possibly because I wasn't around to contradict everything. I've decided to correct this unfortunate state of affairs.

Causality and determinism have been subjected to a great deal of misconception and semantic confusion, so I will begin by making a few clarifications:
1 Determinism ≠ Fatalism. It does not mean that the same particular result will always occur regardless of whatever actions are taken to avoid it.
2 Determinism ≠ Predestination. It does not mean that every occurrence is decided upon and brought about by some conscious entity.
3 Free Will ≠ Freedom of Choice. Its absence does not mean that all decisions are made under force or duress, or that decisions are independent of preference, planning, insight, or past experience.
4 Probability ≠ Chance. It does not mean that different results can arise from the same causative event.
5 Determinism and Indeterminism are mutually exclusive. Randomness of any kind cannot exist on any level in a deterministic system.
6 Please also note that any time I use the term "determinism" I am referring specifically to causal determinism, and that the terms "random" and "stochastic" are used interchangeably.

As a determinist, I regard everything to be the necessary result of measureable and exact physical processes. This makes sense to me, but many people find fault with it. Can anyone give me their view on this?

THE POINT OF THIS THREAD:
I want to know what other people think of determinism/causality/randomness/etc. and why they think whatever they think, because I'm not sure I understand their views. I am not trying to prove determinism. I am not suggesting that we should all become determinists.

• 45 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

So much hangs on getting an acceptable definition of the notion, that I'm not sure there is a standard approach. In other words, giving a right account of the notion may be precisely what's at issue here.

Well, we could expand the discussion to all forms of determinism that agree with the statement: "All events, regardless of any point in time or frame of reference, are set and incapable of being anything other than what they are." In this sense, anything that "could" occur, but doesn't, or "could have" occured, but didn't, is still impossible in the deterministic system, except that this is not necessarily attributed to causality. But then, if we tried to explain it without causality, we would end up with something trivial and irrational like "everything has to be the way it is for no reason at all".

At any rate, you can read about some problems with the notion of determinism here. The trick is going to be giving a definition that is non-trivial but that also doesn't try to define an already-tricky concept in terms that are even more opaque (like defining determinism in terms of causation).

Causation shouldn't really be a difficult concept. It's just the necessary conjunction of two or more factors or conditions.

The definition given at the end of the section (under the header 2.5 Fixed) is a step in the right direction, although I think the 'or' statement means to refer to (a), rather than (b):

Determinism requires a world that (a) has a well-defined state or description, at any given time, and (b) laws of nature that are true at all places and times. If we have all these, then if (a) and (b) together logically entail the state of the world at all other times (or, at least, all times later than that given in (b)), the world is deterministic.
randomblah
randomblah
246 posts
King

Fish, without any outside information other than what is in this thread, you do sound incredibly arrogant. Your general tone is 'this should be patently obvious, but I don't understand why everyone can't see this', which roughly translates to 'Why can't everyone be as smart as me'. Anyhow, putting this aside(I'm not here to discuss this), I'll mainly focus on science.

There is some reasonable basis for determinism, at least at the macro level. If I point a gun at an object and pull the trigger, anyone knows what the result is. Obviously, certain actions make other actions more likely to occur. The thinking then goes, if only I could measure better, etc, I could do this - a theory that was popular back in the 1900s. However, there is fundamental (quantum) uncertainty that can be made arbitrarily large for a given system.

Presumably, you accept quantum mechanics - at least the equations, if not classical interpretations. Part of this includes Heisenberg's uncertainty principle(true for every interpretation of quantum mechanics), which roughly states that (delta)(p*x) > (constant). In other words, it is physically impossible to measure a system beyond a certain degree of precision. This has unfortunate consequences for your definition of determinism - the fundamental subatomic scale of physical processes is inherently unmeasurable.

Now, classical mechanics works(very well) because quantum effects tend to cancel each other(very quickly) out to present the continuous, more predictable world that we observe. So you might think that at least at the macro level, this uncertainty can be essentially discounted. But it's not particularly difficult for me to create a situation where randomness governs macro actions. For example, if I make decisions based on a quantum "coin-flip" (e.g. if a particle's momentum is greater than some number, call that heads, and tails otherwise), I can govern large scale actions based on fundamental uncertainty. If you were to examine a system where I had two buttons(perhaps one of which would cause a very significant action to occur, e.g. nuclear Armageddon), and I informed you that the button I pressed would be determined by the quantum "coin-flip", you would not be able to predict anything of significance. I don't really see how your definition of determinism can really survive this, at least in any meaningful manner.

P.S.
When you respond to things, it's good etiquette to avoid one-line refutations, especially when the person you are talking to has grouped arguments in a meaningful manner. Also, while it's fun to throw one-liner every statement made, that just really amounts to a 'gish gallop', something that's generally not very helpful for a good argument. If you do choose to respond to this(something you are more than welcome to do), please keep arguments grouped by paragraph - it's written this way for a reason.

P.P.S.
This really isn't the place for this, but consider rethinking what is obvious. Infinity is generally considered to be extremely non-intuitive, leading to classic examples such as Hilbert's hotel and battles over sum: (1+2+3+...)=?=-1/12. While infinity is unbounded, unbounded systems fail to adequately account(at least in an intuitive, simple manner) for certain things(infinite infinities, one might intuit, would be larger than a single infinity; this is more or less untrue). The point is, there's often a lot more than what is immediately obvious, and many, many approaches have often been tried(hence why the concept is unintuitive). However, you really do think that you have a quality novel solution(not easy, but not impossible), run a google search for it, and then ask some technical experts in that field to make sure that it gives the right conclusions.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Fish, without any outside information other than what is in this thread, you do sound incredibly arrogant. Your general tone is 'this should be patently obvious, but I don't understand why everyone can't see this', which roughly translates to 'Why can't everyone be as smart as me'.

I did suspect this when the first responses came, but I'm not really sure if I can change that.

If you were to examine a system where I had two buttons(perhaps one of which would cause a very significant action to occur, e.g. nuclear Armageddon), and I informed you that the button I pressed would be determined by the quantum "coin-flip", you would not be able to predict anything of significance. I don't really see how your definition of determinism can really survive this, at least in any meaningful manner.

On page 2, I defined 'predict' as "to make an inference, usually by applying some generalization". If this is what you mean, should predictability even matter? If we throw in Laplace's demon, we may expect to get the best possible prediction based on the deterministic variables alone, but without a real one, we can't know the accuracy of that prediction.

Also, while it's fun to throw one-liner every statement made, that just really amounts to a 'gish gallop', something that's generally not very helpful for a good argument.

Excessive brevity does not make a gish gallop, so I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Infinity is generally considered to be extremely non-intuitive, leading to classic examples such as Hilbert's hotel and battles over sum: (1+2+3+...)=?=-1/12. While infinity is unbounded, unbounded systems fail to adequately account(at least in an intuitive, simple manner) for certain things(infinite infinities, one might intuit, would be larger than a single infinity; this is more or less untrue).

Yet, the finite alternative has implications which are even less intuitive. Not just due to problems of "what's on the other side", but also to questions about scale (how should we define the physical diameter of a subatomic particle) infinitesimals (what, if any, is the limit to the divisibility of an exact span) and involution (how does the universe conform to a non-Euclidian topology). I would argue that the infinite system is the only one that makes any intuitive sense.
randomblah
randomblah
246 posts
King

The following will be focused mainly on determinism. The other remarks will be addressed on my profile.

To be completely honest, I'm not really sure how you are defining determinism. If you don't disagree with the possibility of an immeasurable quantum coin-flip(Laplace's demon is unable to measure this as long as he conforms to the laws of physics), then (pure) determinism really isn't very defensible, no matter what definition you use, since it's always possible to tie ever-larger processes to immeasurable coin-flips. From a retroactive point of view, it is nearly trivial to show how things occur - that is not very difficult.

Roughly speaking, this is what I interpret your determinism as:
1. Suppose a system(biological, physical, or otherwise) is given to us, and we are allowed to physically measure this system to the best of our abilities. We may use any measurements that are physically possible - e.g. we can examine neural states, atomic compositions, etc, but cannot make measurements that would not be possible in real life. No upper limit exists on the number of measurements made.
2. Upon making such measurements, we can then predict(given enough time and computational power) what the system will evolve to. We can assume that we have all physics models that adequately predict such phenomena.
3. Our prediction must be very precise, and must give only one answer. Nothing can be left to chance.

If the above is what you hold determinism to be, then heisenberg uncertainty destroys this reasoning. Uncertainty creates an immeasurable quantity, and from there, it's possible to expand the effects of the immeasurable until the system is essentially random(and presumably not deterministic).

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

To be completely honest, I'm not really sure how you are defining determinism. If you don't disagree with the possibility of an immeasurable quantum coin-flip(Laplace's demon is unable to measure this as long as he conforms to the laws of physics), then (pure) determinism really isn't very defensible, no matter what definition you use, since it's always possible to tie ever-larger processes to immeasurable coin-flips. From a retroactive point of view, it is nearly trivial to show how things occur - that is not very difficult.

I disagree with the quantum indeterminism interpretation, so the quantum coin-flip does not immediately imply the existence of an unfixed variable. The determinism that I hold to is not dependent upon our ability to measure or predict anything, as that would mean equating reality with perception.
randomblah
randomblah
246 posts
King

Okay, now I really don't understand what you're talking about.

Quantum indeterminism is mostly independent of Heinsenberg uncertainty. There may in fact be a determinate outcome of a particle's wavefunction, but we can't measure it, regardless. Nobody disagrees with the uncertainty principle, as I've said many times - it's not open to reinterpretation.

You really need to define a set of criterion for your determinism:

As a determinist, I regard everything to be the necessary result of measureable and exact physical processes.
(from the OP)

The determinism that I hold to is not dependent upon our ability to measure or predict anything
(what you just said)

The two statements do not make any sense together. One says that determinism requires that measurable processes are part of determinism, the other says measurement is not required.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

The two statements do not make any sense together. One says that determinism requires that measurable processes are part of determinism, the other says measurement is not required.

There are processes which determine events, and they are measureable. Not all of them are within our current abilities of measurement, and some can only be measured when others can't, but the fact that I cannot measure and calculate something without extremely acute sensors and an insanely powerful supercomputer does not mean that the processes are not exact and measureable. It makes no sense to say that, if I cannot predict some event or other, determinism is impossible, because that is a limitation on my powers of prediction only.
randomblah
randomblah
246 posts
King

Unfortunately, this goes beyond "if I had better instrumentation/computation, I would be able to determine events". Instead, this is "no matter how good my instrumentation is, I will never be able to fully determine events". That's the point of the uncertainty principle. I've said this in the 3rd post, during points 1 and 2 - I've allowed all measurements that are physically possible. If a law(the uncertainty principle) explicitly prohibits any instrument from measuring certain quantities beyond certain precision, then a valid view must not rely on such precise measurements .

If you say that determinism is independent of what is physically possible, then I claim that purple unicorns make all events happen(I will mirror your logic), to show how absurd and worthless that line of thought is.

I say that unicorns determine all events, and are understandable to people with fairy dust. People without fairy dust cannot understandable this, and I don't have fairy dust, but you don't either, so there's no evidence that purple unicorns do not run the world, but I do have a strong belief in purple unicorns. It makes no sense to say that, based on the lack of fairy dust,, to say allmighty purple unicorns don't exist.

If that's the approach you take(if I could defy the laws of physics regarding measurements, this would be true), then anything is possible, and your definition of determinism is worth no more than purple unicorns.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

If that's the approach you take(if I could defy the laws of physics regarding measurements, this would be true), then anything is possible, and your definition of determinism is worth no more than purple unicorns.

Well, it isn't. We cannot know whether it is true without defying the laws of physics. Again, I must ask why the understandability or predictability of an event should even enter the equation, as that seems to be placing an entirely unnecessary requirement upon it. It is essentially saying "this concept must be impossible, because it isn't immediately obvious whether it is true or false".
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Unfortunately, this goes beyond "if I had better instrumentation/computation, I would be able to determine events". Instead, this is "no matter how good my instrumentation is, I will never be able to fully determine events". That's the point of the uncertainty principle.

Assuming the uncertainty principle is really only that, that we will never be able to fully measure events, that does not seem to exclude that those events are determined. Or are events that we cannot determine necessarily random?
randomblah
randomblah
246 posts
King

In response to both, the main question is: If determinism exists(but can not be tested), why does it matter? It's as if I said: "I believe purple magical unicorns exist, but I can't ever test/prove/show this, and it won't affect the world in any way if they do exist". The statement I made cannot be disproven, so I've automatically won any argument. If that's the case, then yes, determinism is absolutely true. That's why there has to be some criterion by which determinism must be measured - e.g. predictions.

Fish, you misunderstand the uncertainty principle. One necessary assertion that your definition of determinism makes is that "all things are measurable". This is immediately and obviously untrue in light of the uncertainty principle. The uncertainty principle itself is NOT uncertain; it tells us that what we measure must necessarily be inexact. In other words, the uncertainty principle tells us that we can never acquire enough information to perfectly determine these underlying processes, and so the universe, for a lack of a better word, is uncertain, and therefore not deterministic.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Fish, you misunderstand the uncertainty principle. One necessary assertion that your definition of determinism makes is that "all things are measurable". This is immediately and obviously untrue in light of the uncertainty principle. The uncertainty principle itself is NOT uncertain; it tells us that what we measure must necessarily be inexact. In other words, the uncertainty principle tells us that we can never acquire enough information to perfectly determine these underlying processes, and so the universe, for a lack of a better word, is uncertain, and therefore not deterministic.

1 I do not misunderstand Heizenberg uncertainty. The accuracy of measurement for one paired state is inversely proportional to the accuracy of the other. A measurement with 100% certainty in one makes any certainty of the other impossible.
2 I did not define determinism in any such way. You will not see the phrase "all things are measurable" or its analog in any of my previous posts. You will, however, find the following:

All events, regardless of any point in time or frame of reference, are set and incapable of being anything other than what they are.

Causation shouldn't really be a difficult concept. It's just the necessary conjunction of two or more factors or conditions.

So, when combined and reworded, the definition of causal determinism becomes:
All properties of all events must be correlated, either directly or through intermediary events, such that the state of all things at any point in time is the necessary result of all states and events between that point and any other point in time.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

In response to both, the main question is: If determinism exists(but can not be tested), why does it matter? It's as if I said: "I believe purple magical unicorns exist, but I can't ever test/prove/show this, and it won't affect the world in any way if they do exist". The statement I made cannot be disproven, so I've automatically won any argument. If that's the case, then yes, determinism is absolutely true. That's why there has to be some criterion by which determinism must be measured - e.g. predictions.

Same argument as with God's existence, I became aware of that a while ago. And I'm not saying there are no other alternatives to determinism, nor that it must necessarily be true. But I believe there to be a small difference, which is that there is no logical reason for a pink unicorn or a deity to exist; however determinism is intuitive in the sense that an event is caused by something, involved in a process.

I already have considered a "weaker" version of determinism, one I have not completely discarded; I believe Fish called it probabilism or something like that (there was another associated term I don't remember). Basically determinism would be (almost) true except for the most basic processes; individually they are random, but together they form what appears to be determined processes. Except that unlike in true determinism, Laplace's demon would only be able to infer the future with a 99.999% probability, decreasing with projected time. The reason I am arguing for complete determinism here is that, as Fish then said, this implies random processes. And random processes are naturally less intuitive than defined processes.

2 I did not define determinism in any such way. You will not see the phrase "all things are measurable" or its analog in any of my previous posts. You will, however, find the following:

Maybe I'm blundering into a wording issue, but you did state at least twice that you think the processes leading to events are measurable.
randomblah
randomblah
246 posts
King

Well, I was going to comment about the "goalpost moving", but Hahiha beat me to it:

As a determinist, I regard everything to be the necessary result of measureable and exact physical processes

(OP)

There are processes which determine events, and they are measureable.

(previous page)

You will not see the phrase "all things are measurable" or its analog in any of my previous posts.

(just now)

More or less, I tend to agree with HahiHa - 'probabilism' is much more reasonable than determinism. Probabilism is absolutely correct - after all, flying jet planes don't randomly drop out of the sky. Furthermore, I argue that probabilism is very intuitive, while determinism is less so, but the two concepts are easily mixed. Many systems are modeled as a chain of transitional probabilities between states, which is by far a more nuanced model than the 1 state, 1 result that determinism advocates.

The only issue with probabilism is the certainty with which it infers the future - I can easily rest the fate of the world on a quantum coinflip(my original example), and in doing so, can cause the certainty to dramatically decrease. Typically, unless we try to actively defeat probabilism, this won't happen, but we can deliberately make systems essentially impossible to predict.

So essentially, my position is: The physical world is very strongly shaped by certain processes. These processes are often incredibly strong and reliable, and are often essentially inevitable. But, plenty of randomness exists - this generally cancels out, but it is possible, with effort, to make a systematically random scenario. To put another way, we are subject to the laws of physics, but the laws of physics do not dictate who we are and what we do.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Maybe I'm blundering into a wording issue, but you did state at least twice that you think the processes leading to events are measurable.

A: the processes leading to events are measurable
B: all things are measurable
A ≠ B

I already have considered a "weaker" version of determinism, one I have not completely discarded; I believe Fish called it probabilism or something like that (there was another associated term I don't remember). Basically determinism would be (almost) true except for the most basic processes; individually they are random, but together they form what appears to be determined processes.

Probabilism means something else. I don't know if there's a proper name, but I have seen it referred to as "statistical determinism", where quantum indeterminism becomes statistically negligible on the macroscopic scale.

The only issue with probabilism is the certainty with which it infers the future - I can easily rest the fate of the world on a quantum coinflip(my original example), and in doing so, can cause the certainty to dramatically decrease. Typically, unless we try to actively defeat probabilism, this won't happen, but we can deliberately make systems essentially impossible to predict.

Actually, the primary issue is that (if we are in fact referring to the same thing) it either doesn't work or doesn't comply with probability or our observations. Suppose you had 10 unbound subatomic particles in a system, all gyrating and oscillating their matter waves in a completely stochastic manner; some fluctuate in one way, some in another, etc.. If you have three different sensors each takeing one measurement of this totally stochastic system every second, you may expect to obtain data from those particles that is consistently random no matter how long you let the experiment run.
The problem here is that by taking these measurements, you are adding a deterministic variable, where before, there were none. The particles are no longer stochastic, because they have been influenced by a factor external to themselves. Unless we accept the anthropic principle, which I just learned is a real thing, any ray of light would have this same effect upon the system.
If the particles were to remain stochastic, they would have to continually re-randomize their states, which would make every one of these particles an unmoved mover. There would be no way to influence their behaviour, and that behaviour would be randomizing everything that comes in contact with them.
Showing 16-30 of 45